Old 30-09-2003, 03:14 AM
Ken

Default Tomato Soup?

Does anyone have a good reciepe for tomato soup?

Old 30-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "Ken"
wrote:

Does anyone have a good reciepe for tomato soup?

Go ask the folks on rec.food.preserving They'll give you 37 different
opinions on the best tomato soup and they'll all be good : )

Jan
Old 30-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Ken" wrote:

Does anyone have a good reciepe for tomato soup?

Here's the recipe we like. From Jacques Pepin's Kitchen: Cooking with
Claudine more or less......

Tomato Potage

1T olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
1 T flour
1 1/2 C water
2 lbs. tomatoes, quartered
1 clove garlic
1 - 4" sprig thyme
1 t sugar
1/2 t pepper
3/4 t salt
2 T butter

Heat oil in saucepan. Add onion and saute for a couple of minutes. Add
flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in water and mix well.

Add remaining ingredients through the salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce
heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Strain mixture by putting it through a food mill. Alternatively - puree
in a food processor and then push through a strainer to remove skin and
seeds.

Stir in butter and whisk to incorporate.

Yield - 6 cups

marcella
Old 30-09-2003, 05:42 PM
AnonnyMoose

"Ken" wrote in message
Does anyone have a good reciepe for tomato soup?

This one is wonderful...

Fennel Tomato Soup

Olive oil

Beef stock

Diced tomatoes

Fennel bulbs (2 bulbs for 3 pounds of tomatoes)

Onion

Carrots

Garlic (3 cloves for 3 pounds of tomatoes)

Salt

Pepper

Parsley

Star pasta or Orzo

Cheese (Parmesan, Romano or Asiago)

Sausage for non-veggie version

In soup pot, sauté in olive oil until tender the onion and garlic. Add
sliced carrots and fennel, sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add stock,
tomatoes, salt and pepper and sausage. Cook over low heat about 30 minutes.
Add pasta during last 5 to 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and cheese.

begin 666 clip_image001.gif
M1TE&.#EA, `P`'!,2'^&E-O9G1W87)E.B!-:6-R;W-O9G0@3V9F:6-E`"'Y
M! $```$`+ ```0`P`"\`@/\``(&!@0*-C(^I!^L/HVFR6@7HW35K#BY2";
M5X8GFFYKJ[XPMV:S6]]6;L2W_,]@"PA@VAT$(/)(Y*VC$JG%*KUBKAJEYBM
M=R3Z:G_BZ:[,O:"!H/4IY8:A;V+?UN@5YG5?Y_^)UW,R?(-O$$EXC(8R@3
@EJ/XJ!1)TDCV5C+9D1G#I ;6%BI:Q$E8&H':]E ``#L`
`
end

Old 30-09-2003, 06:42 PM
simy1

"Ken" wrote in message ...
Does anyone have a good reciepe for tomato soup?

Tomato-corn chowder

Saute' one carrot, plus 6 garlic cloves or one small onion, minced, in
2 tbsp vegetable oil. When they change color, add a couple thinly
sliced zucchini, five or six sliced okra, one pound of chopped
tomatoes, and the kernels of two cobs. Add water, bouillon, and spices
to taste (we add salt, fresh sorrel, and one chili). Simmer for half
an hour and serve.

Old 03-10-2003, 02:03 AM
John Savage

"Ken" writes:
Does anyone have a good reciepe for tomato soup?

Here's a very easy tomato soup recipe:

Bring to the boil 2 chopped tomatoes in a few tablespoons of water
add 1 can tomato soup and water to give desired consistency
reheat nearly to a simmer

Old 03-10-2003, 03:13 AM
Steve

John Savage wrote:

...........add 1 can tomato soup........
See, I said it was easy. :-)

I'm not sure but I think that just might be cheating. ;-)

Steve

Old 03-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Frogleg

"Ken" writes:
Does anyone have a good reciepe for tomato soup?

You mean a smooth soup a la Campbell's canned? Try this:

Put a little olive oil in a wide, shallow pan. Saute some diced
celery, onion, & carrot until soft but not browned -- garlic as
desired. Add coarsely chopped tomatoes and cook for a couple of
minutes until the skins show signs of separating. Put all this through
a food mill and into a regular pot. Discard solids (skin, seeds, etc.)
Season puree with S&P. You can now reduce this mixture a bit and then
add chicken or veg broth (leave out salt if using commercial
products), milk, or cream to the desired consistency.

The food mill part is handy because you don't have to peel and de-seed
the tomatoes before cooking.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Bpyboy

that tomato corn chowder sounds to DIE FOR!

It sounds like a dish that my grandmother used to make, although I never got
the recipe for it.