Old 24-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Mary McHugh

Default Happy Holidays to all at rec.gardens.edible

Happy Holidays to everyone here. First thing I'm doing after Xmas is
ordering seed. This is going to be a big gardening year at Rancho
McHugh!

Thanks for all your help over the years. I don't post that often but
I've been here since before the split and remember such memorable (and
humorous!) topics such as "Moron Growing Basil" and "How to Get Rid of
Golfers in Garden?".

Mary

Old 24-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Steve

Happy holidays to you too, Mary.
Could you or anyone else enlighten me about "the split"? I've only been
following this group for months, not years. I would guess that this
group was split from rec.gardens? Is that right? When did it happen?

Steve

Old 27-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Mary McHugh

Steve wrote:
Happy holidays to you too, Mary.
Could you or anyone else enlighten me about "the split"? I've only been
following this group for months, not years. I would guess that this
group was split from rec.gardens? Is that right? When did it happen?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'd have to look up the date but yes, originally there was one enormous
group rec.gardens. After the requisite vote, it was split into the
subcategories we have now. Actually, there was probably more than one
vote. I remember that originally there was a lot of opposition to the
split and the first few votes probably failed.

On another note, I'm relieved that the busy part of the holiday is over
and I can get to ordering my seeds. :-)

Mary

Old 27-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Steve

Mary McHugh wrote:

Hi Steve,

I'd have to look up the date but yes, originally there was one enormous
group rec.gardens. After the requisite vote, it was split into the
subcategories we have now. Actually, there was probably more than one
vote. I remember that originally there was a lot of opposition to the
split and the first few votes probably failed.

On another note, I'm relieved that the busy part of the holiday is over
and I can get to ordering my seeds. :-)

Mary

Thanks Mary. I never realized that groups can split. I just assumed that
somebody started a group like this (without a vote or anything from the
old group) and either is succeeded or it didn't.

I should follow your lead as far as ordering seeds. Too often I put it
off and have to rush in the spring.

Steve

Old 27-12-2003, 03:36 PM
Henriette Kress

Mary McHugh wrote:

I'd have to look up the date but yes, originally there was one enormous
group rec.gardens. After the requisite vote, it was split into the
subcategories we have now. Actually, there was probably more than one
vote. I remember that originally there was a lot of opposition to the
split and the first few votes probably failed.

rec.gardens.edible got through on the first try, after it got renamed from
rec.gardens.vegetable. I remember being quite happy about the split, as
rec.gardens had been getting rather unwieldy.

I voted for, of course. 1996. My, doesn't time fly:
http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/...gardens.edible

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Old 28-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Mary McHugh

Steve wrote:

Thanks Mary. I never realized that groups can split. I just assumed that
somebody started a group like this (without a vote or anything from the
old group) and either is succeeded or it didn't.

Anyone can create an alt.* group so long as they can follow
instructions. For the other major heirarchies (rec.*, comp.*, misc.*,
etc.) there is a procedure that must be followed (request for discussion
or RFD and call for vote CFV).

I should follow your lead as far as ordering seeds. Too often I put it
off and have to rush in the spring.

That has been my usual MO. This year, my new years resolution is to get
it done ASAP.

Last year was such a bad year weather-wise that I'm really looking
forward to the new season.

Mary

Old 28-12-2003, 05:29 PM
Mary McHugh

Henriette Kress wrote:

rec.gardens.edible got through on the first try, after it got renamed from
rec.gardens.vegetable. I remember being quite happy about the split, as
rec.gardens had been getting rather unwieldy.

I voted for, of course. 1996. My, doesn't time fly:
http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/...gardens.edible

Thanks for the reminder. Time does indeed fly.

I was in favor of the split as well. Some people just don't like
change, even when it is a good change.

Mary

Happy Holidays to all pixi Ponds 5 21-12-2004 07:01 PM
Happy Holidays to all pixi Ponds 0 20-12-2004 11:38 AM
alt.architecture,rec.sport.football.pro,alt.books.cs-lewis,rec.gardens.edible,rec.games.frp.cyber . Edible Gardening 0 17-06-2004 12:02 PM