Old 03-01-2004, 11:32 PM
JesseMerry

Default bottom-rot tomatoes

We read an article that said bottom-rot is caused from not enough calcium in
the soil. We live in Colorado where summers are short and weather can change
any minute. Any ideas on how we can improve the calcium in our soil?
Old 05-01-2004, 04:42 PM
FarmerDill

In CO it is a lot less likely to have Ca deficiencies, more likely to
have irregular watering, also causing BER. Wood ash is an excellent
source of Ca, but any compost will also be a very good source.

I don't know the soils in Colorado, but BER is more often caused by stress.
This can be due to a lack of any of several nutients even by water deprivation
(drought). Some varieties (cultivars) are very prone to BER while others are
relatively unaffected. Check your soil pH. Most soils contain sufficient
calcium, but high acidity can impede the uptake into the plant. Ground
limestone (prefereably dolomite which also contains magnesium) is the best long
term solution. Crushed seashells, eggshells etc also are primarily calcium
carbonate and work the same . Wood ashes are a great source of potasium not
calcium but will quickly but temporarily raise the soil pH.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:32 AM
JesseMerry

Thanks for the many replies. We will look further into the situation and have
our soil tested. We appreciate your advice.

Bottom rot on my tomatoes... The Henchman Edible Gardening 6 19-07-2010 03:24 AM
rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
black bottom tomatoes Sly boots 9 Edible Gardening 12 22-08-2003 07:22 PM
Black Bottom Tomatoes? Gary Edible Gardening 2 20-08-2003 08:02 PM
Tomatoes vs root rot. Tom Elliott Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM