Old 20-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Gary

Default Black Bottom Tomatoes?

Greetings to all,
This is probably such an elementary question that many of you will laugh at my ignorance but I would like some advice concerning tomatoes with rotten bottoms. I have heard that this syndrome is caused by uneven watering and I have also heard that it is caused by a deficiency of calcium in the soil. Perhaps some of you experienced gardeners wouldn't mind shedding some light on my problem. My tomatoes are in raised beds and the soil is a home-made mix of well composted yard debris, earth, well rotted chicken poop, agricultural lime and bone meal. The soil is covered with about two inches of one year old mint compost.
Please reply directly to my e-mail address as I don't check the news group with much regularity.
Thank you,
Gary

Old 20-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Frankhartx

Greetings to all,
This is probably such an elementary question that many of you will laugh =
at my ignorance but I would like some advice concerning tomatoes with =
rotten bottoms. I have heard that this syndrome is caused by uneven =
watering and I have also heard that it is caused by a deficiency of =
calcium in the soil. Perhaps some of you experienced gardeners wouldn't =
mind shedding some light on my problem. My tomatoes are in raised beds =
and the soil is a home-made mix of well composted yard debris, earth, =
well rotted chicken poop, agricultural lime and bone meal. The soil is =
covered with about two inches of one year old mint compost.=20
Please reply directly to my e-mail address as I don't check the news =
group with much regularity.
Thank you,
Gary

------=_NextPart_000_00A2_01C3669B.FC236D10

HEADSTYLE/STYLE/HEADGreetings to =all,
This=20is probably such an elementary question that many of you will laugh at
=my=20ignorance but I would like some advice concerning tomatoes with
rotten=20bottoms. I have heard that this syndrome is caused by uneven
=watering and=20I have also heard that it is caused by a deficiency of
calcium in the=20soil. Perhaps some of you experienced gardeners wouldn't
mind =shedding=20some light on my problem. My tomatoes are in raised beds
and the =soil is a=20home-made mix of well composted yard debris, earth,
well =rotted=20chicken poop, agricultural lime and bone meal. The soil is
covered =with=20about two inches of one year old mint compost.
Please reply directly =to my=20
e-mail address as I don't check the news group with much =regularity.
Thank=20you,
Gary

------=_NextPart_000_00A2_01C3669B.FC236D10--

Go to google.com and search for Blossom End Rot==bear in mind that as the
season advances most BER conditions clear up by themselves so any "cure" is of
questionable value

Old 20-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Frankhartx said:

Greetings to all,
This is probably such an elementary question that many of you will laugh =
at my ignorance but I would like some advice concerning tomatoes with =
rotten bottoms. I have heard that this syndrome is caused by uneven =
watering and I have also heard that it is caused by a deficiency of =
calcium in the soil.

It is a metabolic problem of calcium metabolism in the fruit. Plants grown in soils
where calcium is not abundant are prone to this problem. However, even in soils
with very high levels of calcium, blossom end rot can occur due to watering
problems (too much, too little, or grossly uneven). Some varieties are far more
likely to suffer from BER than others.

Go to google.com and search for Blossom End Rot==bear in mind that as the
season advances most BER conditions clear up by themselves so any "cure" is of
questionable value

My situation this year is that BER began to develop *later* in the season. We had
above normal rain early in the season, and much drier and more uneven rainfall
later. The earliest trusses showed no sign of BER; the later fruits are showing
some sign of BER on susceptible varieties. I am glad that the paste tomatoes
were close to ripening when the rainfall turned erratic; last year late spring was
very dry, and BER took out about 1/2 the crop on my early paste tomatoes
(despite supplemental watering).
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)