Old 06-01-2004, 06:03 AM
Scott Peterson

Default Growing Rhubarb

I would really like to grow some rhubarb, but I live So. Calif. and
all the nurseries tell me it won't do well here because of the heat.

I live about 2 miles from the ocean and don't get the heat that most
areas do. I'm wondering if anyone is successful growing it around here
or if anyone has any suggestions about varieties or methods that might
work.

Thanks

Scott Peterson

I couldn't repair your brakes,
so I made your horn louder.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:21 PM
R M. Watkin

Hi All,

try to grow it in the shade. I had to move rhubarb into the shade due to
shortage of space, and I still get rhubarb off it, not as much as when it
was in full sun, but you are a lot hotter than the U.K. so you may fair
better, just a thought.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 09-01-2004, 03:12 AM
Scott Peterson

" R M. Watkin" wrote:

try to grow it in the shade. I had to move rhubarb into the shade due to
shortage of space, and I still get rhubarb off it, not as much as when it
was in full sun, but you are a lot hotter than the U.K. so you may fair
better, just a thought.

Not a problem. I've got a good spot against a north-facing wall that
gets lots of shade. I'll just have to get some and give it a try....

Scott Peterson

A fine is a tax for doing wrong.
A tax is a fine for doing well.
Old 19-01-2004, 12:32 AM
John Savage

Scott Peterson writes:
I would really like to grow some rhubarb, but I live So. Calif. and
all the nurseries tell me it won't do well here because of the heat.

I live about 2 miles from the ocean and don't get the heat that most
areas do. I'm wondering if anyone is successful growing it around here
or if anyone has any suggestions about varieties or methods that might
work.

I've grown huge rhubarb, but I'm in Australia and know nothing about
your climate. But if you want to try, I can say that it can withstand
heat that leaves it lying flat on the ground in the heat of the day,
and it recovers as the day cools. You will need plenty of water, and lots
of mulch and manure. If I were you I'd give it a try, but erect good
shadecloth arranged and angled so that it casts a shadow over the plants
and the wide expanse of their leaves during the hours midday to 4 pm in
Summer. Are their any local gardeners who could advise you of the best
types for your climate? They might even let you break up a few of their
established plants to get you started. Remember, lots of manure.

Some varieties continue to grow, albeit at reduced vigour, during the
winter in areas that experience a dozen or so frosts, while other types
disappear totally underground in the same conditions.