Old 14-01-2004, 04:13 AM
Norma J. Briggs

Default fast growing tomato

Is there a breed of tomato that germinates (if I got the seeds started
within the week) and would produce by the second week of May? I live in zone
9, just south of Houston, so it is rather warm most of the year.

I ask this because I run a small "service learning" project for kids in a
disciplinary alternative school, and we have just been given a small raised
garden(10 by 6) to use.

Amazing that these otherwise hostile kids are excited about "planting
stuff." I really want them to plant something they can taste, so they can
make the personal connection. School gets out the 3rd week of May. Ideas are
greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Norma

---

Old 14-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Bill Bolle

Norma J. Briggs wrote:
Is there a breed of tomato that germinates (if I got the seeds started
within the week) and would produce by the second week of May? I live in zone
9, just south of Houston, so it is rather warm most of the year.

I ask this because I run a small "service learning" project for kids in a
disciplinary alternative school, and we have just been given a small raised
garden(10 by 6) to use.

Amazing that these otherwise hostile kids are excited about "planting
stuff." I really want them to plant something they can taste, so they can
make the personal connection. School gets out the 3rd week of May. Ideas are
greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Norma

---

You have plenty of time in zone 9 with just about any of the "cherry"
tomatoes. They grow fast, put out a lot of fruit, ripen quickly, are
generally disease free and kids love these small sweet fruits. They
will be indeterminant varieties so you will have to provide support
for them, a stake driven into the ground will do.
Bill

Old 14-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Bill

In article , "Norma J.
Briggs" nbriggs@(NO SPAM)houston.rr.com says...
Is there a breed of tomato that germinates (if I got the seeds started
within the week) and would produce by the second week of May? I live in zone
9, just south of Houston, so it is rather warm most of the year.

Might try Stupice.

Bill
Old 14-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Norma J. Briggs said:

Is there a breed of tomato that germinates (if I got the seeds started
within the week) and would produce by the second week of May? I live in zone
9, just south of Houston, so it is rather warm most of the year.

My fastest-to-ripe-fruit varieties are '4th of July' and 'Stupice' (small slicers)
and 'SunGold' or 'SunSugar' (orange cherry).

I think the kcherry tomatoes would have more of a WOW! factor.

(attributed to Don Marti)