Old 18-01-2004, 08:32 AM
David Bunch

Default Algae as compost/fertilizer

A lake very near my house becomes overgrown with algae every year. I
believe this is due to (1) the sewage stations that dumps into the lake and
(2) fertilizer runoff from the golf course that runs parallel to the lake.

My question is- Can the algae from that lake safely be used for compost or
mulch? I think I heard somewhere that algae could posses high levels of
metals, is this true?

Thanks
David B

Old 18-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Steve Peek

If you have run off from a golf course I would not use it. Golf courses are
the most chemically intense garden known.
Steve

Old 18-01-2004, 10:33 PM
David Bunch

Guess I'm in luck, I'm a biology student at the second biggest University in
the state

Old 31-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Bpyboy

and golf course runoff mixed with sewage? that sounds like a recipe for
disaster. perhaps you could use it on a crop you aren't going to eat? maybe
feed the trees with it?

Old 31-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Bpyboy