Old 08-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Ray Drouillard

Default Pineapple questions

I heard somewhere that pineapple isn't a real fruit. If I had to guess,
I would guess that it's a whole lot like a strawberry.

Anyhow, I found what looks like seeds in the skin of the pineapple. I
planted a couple of them yesterday, so if they are seeds, I may know in
a couple weeks.

If that's the case, should I assume that growing a plant from the green
top of the pineapple will yield a clone of the original plant?

Question two: I had a plant going well, but the inner leaves froze and
died because we didn't move it indoors soon enough. The outer leaves
are still alive, and the root system is still solid, but there is no new
growth. Should I give up on it and toss it out?

Ray

Old 08-02-2004, 01:22 PM
James Mayer

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:06:45 -0500, "Ray Drouillard"
wrote:

I heard somewhere that pineapple isn't a real fruit. If I had to guess,
I would guess that it's a whole lot like a strawberry.

Anyhow, I found what looks like seeds in the skin of the pineapple. I
planted a couple of them yesterday, so if they are seeds, I may know in
a couple weeks.

If that's the case, should I assume that growing a plant from the green
top of the pineapple will yield a clone of the original plant?

Usually. Anyone with better info is welcome to butt right in.
I've asked pineapple questions here before and gotten very few

Question two: I had a plant going well, but the inner leaves froze and
died because we didn't move it indoors soon enough. The outer leaves
are still alive, and the root system is still solid, but there is no new
growth. Should I give up on it and toss it out?

Give it a chance. It may send out side shoots and restart from
there. Mine do that when I cut the fruit from the top. It may take a
while. Possibly up to 6 weeks or so. Check down where the leaf
attaches to the stalk and that will be where they come up from.

Ray

Old 08-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Ray Drouillard

wrote:

I heard somewhere that pineapple isn't a real fruit. If I had to

guess,
I would guess that it's a whole lot like a strawberry.

Anyhow, I found what looks like seeds in the skin of the pineapple.

planted a couple of them yesterday, so if they are seeds, I may know

in
a couple weeks.

If that's the case, should I assume that growing a plant from the

green
top of the pineapple will yield a clone of the original plant?

Usually. Anyone with better info is welcome to butt right in.
I've asked pineapple questions here before and gotten very few

I suppose I could google for it.

Question two: I had a plant going well, but the inner leaves froze

and
died because we didn't move it indoors soon enough. The outer leaves
are still alive, and the root system is still solid, but there is no

new
growth. Should I give up on it and toss it out?

Give it a chance. It may send out side shoots and restart from
there. Mine do that when I cut the fruit from the top. It may take a
while. Possibly up to 6 weeks or so. Check down where the leaf
attaches to the stalk and that will be where they come up from.

Thanks!

It's been more than six weeks, but the temperature and light are both
rather low. Maybe it'll do something this summer when I take it out
into the direct sun.

Ray

Old 09-02-2004, 12:42 AM
Katra

wrote:

[...]

Just remember, they grow in Hawaii!!!

Please, do, let us know your results
You are not the only one to chop the top off of one and plant it!
My success has been limited but I never got serious, so I'm curious too.

Same goes for planting the seeds found in the rind... :-)

They are a bromiliad if that helps?
At least as far as I know...

http://gardenbed.com/plant/gbd_p_apl1.cfm
http://www.pineapplerealty.com/growing_pineapple.htm
http://www.plants.flowers.org.cn/Gro...ple-Plants.htm

Ok, so I was bored and went googling... ;-)
Hope that helps, AND you post your results here later! LOL!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

Old 09-02-2004, 01:54 AM
James Mayer

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:39:43 -0600, Katra
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I've got 20 of them growing but I live in west central Florida.
Seems to be rather easy here. They do take about 2 years or so to
produce a fruit.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Katra

wrote:

Just remember, they grow in Hawaii!!!

Please, do, let us know your results
You are not the only one to chop the top off of one and plant it!
My success has been limited but I never got serious, so I'm curious too.

Same goes for planting the seeds found in the rind... :-)

They are a bromiliad if that helps?
At least as far as I know...

http://gardenbed.com/plant/gbd_p_apl1.cfm
http://www.pineapplerealty.com/growing_pineapple.htm
http://www.plants.flowers.org.cn/Gro...ple-Plants.htm

Ok, so I was bored and went googling... ;-)
Hope that helps, AND you post your results here later! LOL!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

I've got 20 of them growing but I live in west central Florida.
Seems to be rather easy here. They do take about 2 years or so to
produce a fruit.

Are these from chopped tops ore seeds? :-)

K.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:37 AM
Benny F. Sevilla

The top grows easily if you keep it moist on loamy soil; if you want it to
fruit as a houseplant, growing it on a 15 gallon container would be great;
try not to get the night temperature lower than 40 degrees F if you are
putting it outside; after two years, it will give you a fruit or two. It
will die after the fruit ripens, but will start giving you side shoots, so
you can divide them like any bromeliads.

I got it growing outside here in Pleasant Hill , CA - zone 9 but had to be
brought inside during a frosty night. They prefer high humidity so if you
put the plant near a pond, you will be assured of a beautiful plant.

Benny
"Katra" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ude=0&user id
=katra

Old 10-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Otto Jones

The seeds resemble flax seed, are small and are found in the flesh of
the fruit, not in the skin. You rarely find them in store bought, but it is
possible. They readily germinate and produce tough little rosettes that
grow slowly.
If the plant you describe has healthy 'stalk' and root system, it may
produce new plants. Take care that you do not overwater at this stage and
rot out the root system. After taking the fruit, I often observe 2 or 3 new
plants forming. These can be left in place allowing a clump to form or they
may be removed and planted out separately.
I have found that a little sprinkle of osmocote in the cup promotes good
growth.
Otto in Orlando - with a 150sqft patch of pineapples.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Otto Jones

[...]

Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) hhhouse Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
Pineapple? JNJ Gardening 15 12-04-2003 02:32 AM
Is pineapple a fruit? Ted Shoemaker Gardening 18 14-03-2003 09:56 PM