Old 10-02-2004, 02:19 PM
Frogleg

Default Pineapple questions

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 18:31:26 -0500, "Ray Drouillard"
wrote:

"James Mayer" wrote

I've asked pineapple questions here before and gotten very few

I suppose I could google for it.

I think you should. There's a lot of information out there, including
how to grow a pineapple from the top

"growing a pineapple"

will give you a lot more information that "I think," and "I've heard."

"pineapple propagation" yielded:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pineapple.html
Old 10-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Monique Reed

May I chime in as a botanist/horticulture person?

A pineapple is not one fruit--it is many fruits. Each little section
of a pineapple is the fruit from one tiny flower. The whole
inflorescence (+collection of flowers) matures into the juicy, sweet
multiple fruit that we know as "a" pineapple. The "core" of a
pineapple is the stalk of the inflorescence. In a really good
pineapple, that's edible too. Commercial pineapples have very, very
small seeds.

You certainly can propagate pineapples from a nice slice with the
leaves at the top. You will be taking the growing point of the stem,
and in time it may well flower again.

An old trick to induce flowering in bromeliads: Once the plant is
fairly good-sized, put it in a paper or plastic bag with a very ripe
banana or apple for a couple of days. Ripening fruit gives off enough
ethylene gas to trigger flowering, though it may take a few weeks
(once the plant is out of the bag) to actually get the flowers.

Trivia question of the day: Why does the Jell-o box say not to use
fresh pineapple?

Hope this helps,
M. Reed
Texas A&M
Old 10-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
Monique Reed wrote:

Trivia question of the day: Why does the Jell-o box say not to use
fresh pineapple?

Fresh pineapple contains an enzyme that will prevent the jello from
jelling. The enzyme cannot withstand heat so canned pineapple is ok.

marcella

Hope this helps,
M. Reed
Texas A&M

Old 10-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Katra

In article ,
Monique Reed wrote:

[...]

Doesn't fresh pineapple contain enzymes that "melt" gelatin? :-)

I'd not use fresh papaya either.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katra at centurytel dot net,,

Old 10-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Monique Reed

Ding! We have a winner! The same holds true for other enzyme-rich
fruits like papaya. I hear that figs and kiwis do the same thing.

Monique

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

In article ,
Monique Reed wrote:

Trivia question of the day: Why does the Jell-o box say not to use
fresh pineapple?

Fresh pineapple contains an enzyme that will prevent the jello from
jelling. The enzyme cannot withstand heat so canned pineapple is ok.

marcella

Hope this helps,
M. Reed
Texas A&M

--
˙WPC5

Old 11-02-2004, 04:05 AM
Ray Drouillard

"Monique Reed" wrote in message

[...]

Trivia question of the day: Why does the Jell-o box say not to use
fresh pineapple?

I tried that once. It didn't set up. Apparently, there is an enzyme or
something in pineapple that keeps the gelatin from jelling.

Ray

Old 11-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Frogleg

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:55:50 -0500, "Ray Drouillard"
wrote:

"Monique Reed" wrote in message

[...]

Trivia question of the day: Why does the Jell-o box say not to use
fresh pineapple?

I tried that once. It didn't set up. Apparently, there is an enzyme or
something in pineapple that keeps the gelatin from jelling.

Bromelain. Similar to papayin, it breaks down protein (geletin).
Pineapple juice is a good meat tenderizer.

Old 11-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Katra

wrote:

"Monique Reed" wrote in message

[...]

Trivia question of the day: Why does the Jell-o box say not to use
fresh pineapple?

I tried that once. It didn't set up. Apparently, there is an enzyme or
something in pineapple that keeps the gelatin from jelling.

Bromelain. Similar to papayin, it breaks down protein (geletin).
Pineapple juice is a good meat tenderizer.

Ya know what, I'm glad you mentioned that. ;-)
Beef has gone up in price so I can no longer afford my favorite cuts
like T-bone and Rib eye, so I settled for some nice chuck steaks the
other day for $1.99 / lb.

Now I know what to marinate them in to tenderize those suckers!
I'm ok but papasan has bad teeth and won't let me get him to a
dentist..... :-P

Katra

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katra at centurytel dot net,,

Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) hhhouse Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
Pineapple? JNJ Gardening 15 12-04-2003 02:32 AM
Is pineapple a fruit? Ted Shoemaker Gardening 18 14-03-2003 09:56 PM