Old 28-03-2004, 05:36 AM
Pat

Default Cherry trees from pits?

Anyone know about growing these? I have about 50 pits, and space to plant
them, but haven't ever tried it before and want to have a good shot at
success.

Thanks for any tips!

Old 28-03-2004, 06:02 AM
Ray Drouillard

The pits need to be kept cool for a while before they will sprout. I'm
not sure about the specifics.

Once you have invested a few years into it, you will probably get
cherries (assuming you have enough trees that are sufficiently unrelated
to successfully cross-pollinate). They will not be the same kind of
cherries that the pits came from, however. They may or may not be what
you want.

Most cherries are reproduced vegetatively (cloned).

Ray

Old 28-03-2004, 06:03 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Hi Pat,
Your idea is really the pits. Don't expect your planted seedling to produce
cheeries like the original ones on the tree. You will probably wind up with
some bad tasting fruit with some mixture of the tree's recessive genes and
possibly something from a neighbor's who knows what.
Get some proper cherry rootstock and graft the cherry of your choice on
to it. Who wants to nuture a tree for 10 years only to find out it came
out a bummer.

Sherwin Dubren

Old 28-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Frogleg

http://experts.about.com/q/733/3136158.htm
Old 28-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Steve

wrote:

Anyone know about growing these? I have about 50 pits, and space to plant
them, but haven't ever tried it before and want to have a good shot at
success.

Thanks for any tips!

http://experts.about.com/q/733/3136158.htm

I see that the expert claims that most fruit trees are hybrids.

Old 28-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Steve

Sherwin Dubren wrote:

........Get some proper cherry rootstock and graft the cherry of your choice on
to it. Who wants to nuture a tree for 10 years only to find out it came
out a bummer.

If I was wanting to play around with cherry seedlings, here is what
I would probably do. I would plant those seeds (though I would have
either planted them last fall or put them in the refrigerator with
some moist peat mix for 2 months).
I would let those seedlings grow for a couple of years then graft
some or all of them to good varieties. ...but... I would place the
graft high enough to be above a lower branch. I would leave that
lower branch there until it, and the rest of the tree, flowers and
fruits. That way, if one of the seedlings turned out to be that one
in a million super fruit, it wouldn't be lost forever as a root stock.
All just for fun.

Steve

Old 28-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Loki

il Sun, 28 Mar 2004 09:38:18 -0500, Steve ha scritto:

If I was wanting to play around with cherry seedlings, here is what
I would probably do. I would plant those seeds (though I would have
either planted them last fall or put them in the refrigerator with
some moist peat mix for 2 months).
I would let those seedlings grow for a couple of years then graft
some or all of them to good varieties. ...but... I would place the
graft high enough to be above a lower branch. I would leave that
lower branch there until it, and the rest of the tree, flowers and
fruits. That way, if one of the seedlings turned out to be that one
in a million super fruit, it wouldn't be lost forever as a root stock.
All just for fun.

And for someone with lots of room. But a great idea. I've never done
grafting. Is is hard to be successful?
--
Cheers,

Old 29-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Steve

Loki wrote:
...................... I've never done
grafting. Is is hard to be successful?

No, it's pretty easy. I, most often, just use the easiest of all
grafts, the splice graft. I'll probably only do 3 or 4 grafts this
spring but, almost certainly, they will all grow.
It would be nice to have someone show you so you can see it with
your own eyes but I'm sure you could find a site online that would
show it clearly enough.
Once you get the idea that you want the cambium of the scion make
good contact with cambium on the under stock, you're about done. Use
one method or other to keep the scion from drying out until it
connects up with it's own supply of sap and it will grow.
Oh, I suppose if I'm going to make that bold statement, I should add
one more requirement. The under stock should be just starting its
spring growth and the scion should have been collected earlier and
refrigerated so it is still dormant.
There, now it will grow. :-)
I'll not get into bud grafting, which can be done later in the summer.

Steve

Old 29-03-2004, 03:21 AM
Loki

il Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:24:33 -0500, Steve ha scritto:
[snip]
The under stock should be just starting its
spring growth and the scion should have been collected earlier and
refrigerated so it is still dormant.
There, now it will grow. :-)
I'll not get into bud grafting, which can be done later in the summer.

Steve

Oh, so autumn is NOT the time to start practising. Pity. I was
inspired to try. I have books that show it, but I always thought I'd
have to be ultra clean and careful. I'm more the "chuck it in the
ground and see what happens" type of person.
--
Cheers,

Old 29-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Anyone know about growing these? I have about 50 pits, and space to plant
them, but haven't ever tried it before and want to have a good shot at
success.

http://experts.about.com/q/733/3136158.htm

I see that the expert claims that most fruit trees are hybrids.

And? The point is that you don't get the same cherry tree as the one
you plant the pit of.. Most fruit trees are propagated vegetatively
for this reason.