Old 05-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Jo-Ann

Default Peach Trees From Pits?

Hello,
I have searched the Internet and cannot find information on whether or not a
peach tree will grow from the peach pit. Does anyone know about this? If it
can be done, how?
thanks so much.

Jo-Ann
--
Invalid address-Please post request to e-mail me.

Old 05-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Greetings......yes they can.........sow a cleaned pit in a moist sterile
germination mix and place in plastic bag well sealed........stick it in the
fridge for two months and then into warmth for germination.......HW

Old 05-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 20:50:22 -0400, "Jo-Ann" wrote:

I have searched the Internet and cannot find information on whether or not a
peach tree will grow from the peach pit. Does anyone know about this? If it
can be done, how?

Search on

growing peach seed

Plenty of info.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:56 PM
FarmerDill

Hello,
I have searched the Internet and cannot find information on whether or not a
peach tree will grow from the peach pit. Does anyone know about this? If it
can be done, how?
thanks so much.

Jo-Ann
--

Yes, ther are mor elaborate ways but just plant about an inch deep in good
loose soil, they will pop up next spring. Not peahes are grafted trees,
Old 06-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Jo-Ann

Thank you very much for the help. I found a web page thanks to Frogleg ,and
I will try Ann's method which is in the web site. Thank you Farmer Dill too!
Jo-Ann

Old 08-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Frogleg

"Jo-Ann" wrote in message
I have searched the Internet and cannot find information on whether or not

peach tree will grow from the peach pit. Does anyone know about this? If

it
can be done, how?

Nonsense. Many fruit trees reach bearing age in 3-5 years, incl.
peaches.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Ross Reid

"Tim B" wrote:
It would take forever. how many years do you expect to live.

Wrong.
For the past 23 years, we've been harvesting some of the nicest
peaches I've ever tasted, produced by a tree grown from a pit.
If Jo-Ann plans to live more than another 3 or 4 years she'll have to
take her chances on the quality of the fruit but, she will be
harvesting peaches from her tree grown from a pit.
Ross,
Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º19' North
80º16' West
Old 08-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Jack1000

It would take forever. how many years do you expect to live.

We've got a peach tree in our front yard. It's about 5 feet tall and has about
40 peaches on it right now. It took about 5 years to grow it from a pit and the
5 peaches (its first fruit) we got last year were tasty.

Go ahead and try something new! Its not like its a real expensive project.

If you don't have the time to spend waiting for the pit, you can pay someone
who did to sell you one of his..... But I thought it was the journey that
mattered.

Jack
Old 09-06-2003, 06:08 PM
JohnDKestell

right on, i made a "air cutting" where I packed a new branch in peat and wired
it off about 5 years ago, and it's bearing this spring. Ok, maybe "forever"
i planted it when starting my degree, and it's bearing now!

perception is reality.

john
Old 09-06-2003, 06:08 PM
JohnDKestell

and if the fruit is no good, the wood of the tree is a hell of a way to smoke
some fowl or do a bbq this summer. And it won't even need seasoning, just wet
so that the fire never gets too hot. on top of a bed of charcoal, you'll love
the taste. Or short of that, the birds don't really seem to care, and neiter
do the squirrels. there is something to be said for that too.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:32 PM
FarmerDill

That may be true. But how many run-of-the-mill pits have to brown into trees
before you get a tree with fruit that works in your area and which you are
willing to consume?

Bill

Having been a child of the depression, I have done hundreds of peach pit trees,
Never had one where the peaches were inedible to the point where I was not
willing to consume them. If the tree starts off well, they will be vigorous
enough, of couse some will have small fruits ( we use to call them plum peaches
and pickle them whole), many be clingstone, and flavor and texture will have
wide variance, If you want a specific peach, yes buy a grafted tree. You can
graft onto the seedlings but bought trees utilized special grafting stock which
is more disease resistant. If you like variety and the surprise prize then
starting trees from pits can be fun. We did it because we were too poor to buy
trees, although I still occasionally stick peach pits in a flower bed and grow
out a seedling or two, just to remind me from whence I came.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 19:01:20 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

Frogleg wrote on 6/8/03 4:48 AM:

Nonsense. Many fruit trees reach bearing age in 3-5 years, incl.
peaches.

That may be true. But how many run-of-the-mill pits have to brown into trees
before you get a tree with fruit that works in your area and which you are
willing to consume?

The OP didn't ask about securing an ideal fruit tree for her
particular location and tastes, but simply wanted to know if you could
grow a peach tree from seed. As it turns out, (thanks for the info,
Mr. Dill) peach seeds seem to produce rather more useful trees than
apples, which are fascinatingly random. The poster (unquoted here) who
seemed to think growing a producing fruit tree was a
multi-generational process was wrong.