Old 23-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Dan Siderius

Default Tomato wind damage

During a windstorm yesterday one of my tomato plants suffered serious wind
damage. All of the top branches were pinched off leaving a significant
portion of stem without leaves.

I'm most concerned because the growing stem was broken.

Will my plant start to regrow leaving branches from the now naked stem? Or
could I do some targeted pruning to get it growing again?

Old 23-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Dan Siderius" wrote:

During a windstorm yesterday one of my tomato plants suffered serious wind
damage. All of the top branches were pinched off leaving a significant
portion of stem without leaves.

I'm most concerned because the growing stem was broken.

Will my plant start to regrow leaving branches from the now naked stem? Or
could I do some targeted pruning to get it growing again?

If your stem is only partially severed, stake it up and tape the "wound"
and it'll grow back together.

Then stake the plant well so the wind cannot knock it over again.

I tie mine to wire fencing. :-)

Good luck!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Wind, wind and more wind. David Hill United Kingdom 5 03-01-2014 11:03 PM
Wind, gusty and then more wind and gusts Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 36 21-04-2013 11:34 PM
Wind, rain. More wind and rain forecast. Baz[_4_] United Kingdom 19 29-04-2012 04:00 PM
wind damage Kate Morgan United Kingdom 2 29-05-2007 09:59 AM
traveler's palm wind damage? mike Gardening 1 31-05-2006 04:21 AM