Old 28-05-2004, 04:07 PM
nutNhoney

Default Vacation and Gardens

We were recently away on vacation for 10 days. I knew it wasn't a good
time given we had just set up the greenhouse and had seedlings that
needed looking after. We had also just partially planted the raised beds
using the square foot method. Anyway, we had the boys watching the
house and caring for the plants. We brought the plants in from the
greenhouse just in case. Despite lack of good light, they did well.
They weren't watered as often as I would have done though. All in all,
I think I've lost 4 aster seedlings and most of the everlastings
seedlings. The vegetable seedlings did well other than one zucchini
seedling not making it.

I'm dead tired as we got home yesterday at 7:30 am. Las Vegas is not a
place for sleep! Yesterday, I pampered the seedlings and put them back
into the greenhouse. A few (beans, hot peppers) were large enough for
the holding bed. The lawn was a mess as we had had a lot of rain while
gone and the boys weren't able to cut it. It was a chore! I managed to
fluff up the soil in the raised beds and took a little pride at the new
seedlings in the various squares. Obviously they didn't mind the
massive amounts of rain we had.

Today, I started another flat of plants. One can never have enough
I dug up a temporary bed. The area is slated to be a private terrace
but we might not get to it this year so why waste the planting space.
The spanish onions are doing well there so I planted potato sprouts,
beans, and harvested the spinach that had made it through the winter.