Old 05-07-2004, 01:02 PM
scyap

Default Use of Pesticides on Edibles

As an occasional visitor to this site, I hope you will excuse me if this was
discussed before.

I have grown a few long beans (probably also known as snake beans). While
they are just fruiting, much of the beans are now covered with small dark
fly-like pests on the beans as well as the tender parts of the vines. As I
wish to consume the beans (if any are left), I am afraid to apply pesticides
which may be harmful for consumption. Appreciate some advice as to the
appropriate type of pesticide. Thank You.

SC Yap

Old 05-07-2004, 03:02 PM
belly

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:26:29 +0800 in
, "scyap"
graced the world with this thought:

As an occasional visitor to this site, I hope you will excuse me if this was
discussed before.

I have grown a few long beans (probably also known as snake beans). While
they are just fruiting, much of the beans are now covered with small dark
fly-like pests on the beans as well as the tender parts of the vines. As I
wish to consume the beans (if any are left), I am afraid to apply pesticides
which may be harmful for consumption. Appreciate some advice as to the
appropriate type of pesticide. Thank You.

SC Yap

Try something like Safer's or other non-toxic pesticide. Take a look
at your local nursery, they can send you the right direction.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:26:29 +0800, "scyap"
wrote:

I have grown a few long beans (probably also known as snake beans). While
they are just fruiting, much of the beans are now covered with small dark
fly-like pests on the beans as well as the tender parts of the vines. As I
wish to consume the beans (if any are left), I am afraid to apply pesticides
which may be harmful for consumption. Appreciate some advice as to the
appropriate type of pesticide. Thank You.

There are a whole host of products made for use on vegetables. If
you're not sure, going to a nursery with a knowledgeable staff
would be a good idea; but a bit more expensive than a big box
store. Always read the label, even knowledgeable staff can get it
wrong sometimes.

If you're of a do-it-yourself bent, you can try here for some
suggestions

http://www.ghorganics.com/page14.html

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 05-07-2004, 06:02 PM
zxcvbob

scyap wrote:
As an occasional visitor to this site, I hope you will excuse me if this was
discussed before.

I have grown a few long beans (probably also known as snake beans). While
they are just fruiting, much of the beans are now covered with small dark
fly-like pests on the beans as well as the tender parts of the vines. As I
wish to consume the beans (if any are left), I am afraid to apply pesticides
which may be harmful for consumption. Appreciate some advice as to the
appropriate type of pesticide. Thank You.

SC Yap

You need an insecticide that is listed for use on vegetables, with an
appropriate "days to harvest" number (low number for beans, zero if you
can find it.) Off-the-top-of-my-head, I'd guess Rotenone, sevin, or
malathion. Rotenone is "organic" if that means anything to you.

I'm not familiar with the new insecticides being produced by Bayer; I
don't think I trust them yet, but you might want to look into them.

Best regards,
Bob

edibles to plant? Luna North Carolina 8 04-09-2005 08:04 PM
new pressure treated wood and edibles Steve Williams Edible Gardening 1 28-04-2004 04:05 PM
Why I garden edibles. canuckistani Edible Gardening 4 22-10-2003 06:32 PM
What type of edibles grow well in N. FLorida? jbull232 Edible Gardening 2 28-04-2003 05:56 PM
nova scotia wild edibles Johnson Edible Gardening 0 22-03-2003 05:32 PM