Old 14-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Mary

Default Replace soil below a growing plant

"NoPatience" wrote in message
I have couple of Clematis plants. I planted them three years ago on a
mound.
I think the soil is very hard below and the mound is always dry.
Can I dig below and remove the soil and drop the plant to ground level? Is
there any other way to replace that soil below without yanking the plant?

I think that you will damage the roots using the procedure that you
describe, do a web search (google) for Clematis and you will probably find
more information that you ever thought existed on that plant.

Mary

Old 14-07-2004, 08:03 PM
jfrost

If it was mine....i would have on hand
1. compost of some type/ or manure
2. soil amendments & organic fertilizer
3. post hole digger & wheel barrow

I would simply start digging as many holes close to & around
the area as you are willing to do. I'd go down 18 to 24 inches &
fill- in with the Compost.

Add the admendments & fertilizer only in the top few inches. water in.
Top off with 6 inches of mulch. ( carry off the soil from the holes to
some
other location)

see www.dirtdoctor.com & join Discussion Group ... others can offer
their two cents.

take before & after pictures... hope it really gets growing for you!
j.