Old 31-08-2004, 03:00 AM
Lar

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:50:06 GMT, wrote:

i never ever once used any chemical spray, including those which
are called "natural" like pyrethrin. to me, ANY substance which can kill
6-leggers, will also kill 2 and 4 leggers!!!
Yet 16 years in the field and have never seen the case :/

anti-pesticide fantatics of the garden world.....LET US JOIN TOGETHER!!!

only if it is a news group with "organic" in the title J/K we
likes the diversity....Can't we all just plant along!!!

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Old 31-08-2004, 07:47 AM
sherwindu

paghat wrote:

In article , sherwindu
wrote:

Many very odd things in what you wrote, bordering on phobic.

Hey Rat Girl,
I am sorry I don't belong to your church of the organics.

That you find better agricultural practices a religion indicates you are
not thinking rationally to start with.

No, no! You obviously missed the irony of my statement. What I meant was
you pursue this organic kick like a religion.

Your previous admission that you
spray CONSTANTLY except for that brief time when the orchard is blooming
shows how extreme your case is. I wouldn't call your own behavior cultic,
merely dangerouslky mnisguided.

First of all, I spray in about 3 week intervals, during the fruiting season,
aside from
dormant oil in early spring. I think you have your own flavor of extremism
bordering
on your cult of eco-purity.

I have visited organic
orchards, and see a lot of spoiled fruit on the ground.

Of course fruit falls to the ground. Unlike your orchard, most farmers do
not HARVEST from the ground.

I do not harvest from the ground. I will occasionally pick up a fruit which
has fallen
which does not look attacked by either insects or critters.

You said explicitely that the wasps that
attack fruits on the ground is the reason you have to poison your orchard
continuously. Wasps feed & drink at the wounds of damaged fruits, yes, but
worse, fruits harvested after they fall are a common source of of e-coli.

I don't know about your orchard, but I do a daily patrol and clean up any fruit
on the ground. Most of it goes on the compost pile, or the garbage if it looks
like it has some kind of infection.

I have tried organic
sprays, and from my experience, they don't work.

Organic principles does not mean a quick fix spray. You clearly don't know
squat about the topic, & it's unfortunate for you & the helath of your
family, your neighbors, your environment.

Why don't you climb off your soapbox.

Organic would define the way you
mulch, the way you mow or don't mow nearby meadows, the types of predator
inesects you encourage from the wild or introduce, PROPERLY TIMED
bacterial sprays, much else that is the reason the organic fruit farmers
have repeatedly been shown in university studies to produce fruits larger,
tastier, & more numerous than chemical-reliant farmers.

I don't know about the chemical-reliant farmers, but I will match up my fruit
against any organic gardener for taste, size, etc. Most organic gardeners won't

grow the heritage type fruits I grow, because they are so susceptible to attack.

I loose very little fruit to
insect damage.

By killing everything in sight & spraying continuously. Great.

Yes, when I put in many hours of taking care of these trees, I don't want
to see the results go to pot.

There is no good organic spray for Apple Maggot, etc.

You're only thinking alternatives to poisons aren't poisonous enough,
because you're fabulouslky ignorant of organic methods. Otherwise you'd
already know most organic fruit growers do not have apple maggot or plum
curculio,

Are you making this up?????

the ONLY orchard problems that have no after-the-fact fix that
is organic. A properly cared for fully-system organic approach does not
allow for the mass-flourishing of a single species of insect in the first
place.

And you call me phobic?

With a healthy predator insect population & a proper clean-up problem at
the end of each harvest month, your concern about there being no organic
sprays for apple maggot does not even apply.

With YOUR system then perhaps it is a perpetual worry -- use of poisons
breeds reliance on poisons. For these pests afflict non-organic gardeners
to a much higher degree & the real threat posed to organic growers would
be neighbors such as yourself whose trees have an increased likelihood of
introducing diseases into a larger area.

Your taking "preventative" actions by spraying toxins continuously except
for a brief time of flower wouldn't even be a chemical-sucking hilljack
grower's answer to apple maggot -- not if they were in their right mind.

Apple maggots can be fully controlled by organic methods, just not by
organic sprays.

Baloney!

The method is one of the least invasive imaginable: do NOT
leave unharvested fruit on the the trees through winter, & do NOT leave
apples on the ground to rot & become breeding factories. Unsalable fruit
should be heat-composted. Because apple maggots harbor in winter fruits &
emerge in spring, that first generation will not exist in properly
maintained organic orchards. And as you have admitted to harvesting even
the e-coli-ridden fruits off the ground, you shouldn't have apple maggots.

As previously mentioned, my orchard is inspected daily and no fruit is left
on the ground, and still these pests come. My mulch pile heats up nicely, so
I don't think they propagate there. I never admitted to harvesting
e-coli-ridden
fruits off the ground.

They can still be worrisome because of the bad behaviors of neighboring
orchards. When BAD growers introduce these diseases to finer orchards next
door, the back-up organic method (sticky-traps shaped like the fuit to be
protected) is not the world's best fix, it is true, & some organic growers
unfortunatley prefer to not sell organic fruit that year. But a community
of growers who all do it right & do not permit fallen fruit to harbor
maggots through the winter won't have to make this sorry-ass decision.

Keeping a clean orchard doesn't work for me. I'm not one of those BAD BAD
growers.

Other organic controls for apple maggot includes fruit thinning, which has
the added benefit of larger tastier fruits that remain, & the majority of
commercial orchards do fruit thinning anyway because shitloads of inferior
fruits are not marketable for anything but the low-end for juice, or hog
food. Some do the thinning by hand, chemical-reliant growers have chemical
methods of doing it, & the organic alternative to the chemical method is a
fish oil & lime sulfur combination -- all methods of thinning increase
fruit size.

I do extensive thinning, as well.

But even in a worst-case scenario, the method you outlined as your method
would NEVER be necessary because of two pests difficult to eradicate after
bad agricultural practices have helped establish them in an orchard. A
"break" from organic principles would be brief & minimimally invasive. The
"low spray" technique is unfortunate but some growers use it as a fallback
position, though it does harm the marketable price of the fruit thus
treated in that year. Organically approved late-season sprays like Entrust
do work well on apple maggots, but only when used in concert with year-end
ground clean-up, & early season use of kaolin (Surround). It remains that
in the majority of organic orchards, unless there's someone right next
door doing it very wrong, these additional methods won't be necessary.

The organic sprays are a pain
to use. For example, Surround leaves an ugly film on the fruit, which would
make insect damage almost preferable.

This certainly is not true with proper choices & proper timing, so you've
just shown again you don't know what you're doing.

Have you ever had to clean up the Surround junk off your fruit?

But certainly if by
"pain" you mean they only work if you're knowledgeable about organic
methods, then yes, you're right.

Organic sprays and other preventatives have a long
way to go to get me to use them.

Despite studies such as conducted at Cornell & Washington State U. that
show the present state of organic orchard methods producese more fruit,
tastier fruit, the preferred fruits in the marketplace, you're going to
stick with methods that are known to be inferior for the quality & vallue
of the harvest.

Can you supply specific document sources, or else I'm going to think that
you are making this all up?

You prefer inferior fruit, toxic fruit, fruit that far
fewer people would want to purchase or eat if they knew what you were up
to. And you'd rather hitch your waggon to a dwindling & failing
argricultural system & avoid the fastest growing & most successful segment
of agriculture today.

I'll match my fruit any day against an organic gardener.

Some farmers growing annual vegetable crops have to make concessions in
order cash in on the growing organics market, but orchard fruit growers
gain on every level, because each year organic methods are followed, the
orchard becomes healthier & produces better.

Having a small backyard orchard, I value ALL of my
fruit, and am not willing to sacrifice a good portion of it on the alter of
organics.

Sherwin D.

Back yard amateurs are the worst enemies of professional, qualified,
knowledgeable organic growers. Your toxins spread into finer orchards; you
are more apt to spread diseases; you are responsible for the implosion of
pollinator & predator insect populations. You also risk the health & lives
of everyone who eats fruits that developed in what you admitted was
continuous chemical spraying except during the brief time of flowering.

I may be a backyard grower, but I'm not an amateur. I'll match my knowledge
of fruit growing against yours any day. You sound like an elitist snob,
certainly
someone who thinks they know it all. I don't distribute contaminated fruit. I
allow the chemicals to subside naturally in the sun before harvesting, and I
carefully wash any fruit I give away, or tell people to do so. The washing
is just an added precaution, since most of the chemicals have dissipated by
the time I pick the fruit.

If the science didn't support these statements then your likening organic
gardening to a church with an alter for sacrifices would apply. But these
are not things that need be taken on faith. Whereas your belief system is
not supported by the faith, does require faith in lieu of reason, & does
cause human sacrifice. So if being religioius is as big an insult as you
would have it, you have just insulted ourself by projecting.

It's not the science I'm against, but your trying to cram this stuff down our
throats, like it's the gospel.

If you love gardening, if you love your orchard, at least LEARN what the
organic methods really are before passing judgement on things you have
rejected out of hand without a lick of knowledge.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

As a final comment, maybe you know of a friendly preditor that will kill
the West Nile bearing mosquitos in my area, or the Asian Longhorn
Beetles. I'm sure the municipalities here would like to know about them.

Sherwin Dubren

Old 31-08-2004, 07:52 AM
paghat

In article , sherwindu
wrote:

paghat wrote:

In article , sherwindu
wrote:

[...]

You've been unable to credibly or knowledgeably contradict anything I've
posted so I won't go over it again, except to reiterate that YOUR
continuing notion that organic gardening is merely a cult makes you
something of an idiot savant, without the savant.

Old 31-08-2004, 09:42 AM
EV

that's beautiful. thank you.

My pleasure. The wonderful thing about gardening forums is that there are
others with common interests, who derive enjoyment from gardening in similar
ways. I'm a fan of both the flora and the fauna.

Your organic greenhouse sounded great. :-)

EV

From: EV
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 05:31:15 -0400
Subject: Some of the reasons I don't spray pesticides ...

Every spring I notice at least one or two colonies of bumble bees living
in the garden. They do a fabulous job of pollinating in the early
spring, long before the other pollinators appear. They feast on the
Pulmonaria and Vinca from early April on, and then get busy with the
myriad, sweet-smelling blooms of the wild black currant in mid-month. No
blooms in the garden wants for their attention all season long.

A big clump of ladybugs hibernated somewhere at the base of the plum
tree. They marched out one sunny spring morning and got right to it.
Their children and grandchildren have been controlling the aphids, not
just on the fruit trees and the roses, but in most of the garden as
well.

I grow an abundance of flowers for bees and butterflies on the sunny
south facing slope ... and if you grow them, they will come. The
Monarchs are starting to show up now, fluttering among the echinacea and
the butterfly bushes. Sometimes, in the fall, I see them swarming
overhead before they head south across the lake.

I leave the seed heads in the wildflower slope up for the winter. By
early spring, all the seeds have been eaten by local birds and the
hungry migrants returning from places I'd rather be.

EV

Old 31-08-2004, 10:47 AM
EV

sherwindu wrote:

I don't know what part of the planet you live in, but in the Midwest here, the
yellow jackets can sometimes be a big problem. Haven't seen many this year,
but previously, they went after my peaches. I had one good sting when I tried
to pick up
a fallen peach on the ground, and it took a lot of antihistamine to quiet that
one down.

EV also doesn't seem to be growing fruit, or she would not be so complacent
about apple maggots, plum curcullio's, etc.

Hang on there! I'm actually proactive in a natural kind of way. I'm new to fruit
trees, but have been gardening organically for more decades than I care to admit.
My garden usually does quite well with a minimum of the most benign possible
intervention.

My plums are not great this year, true, but most other things have done
fabulously well, despite, or because of, the cool, wet growing season. Why not
the plums? If I can figure out what went wrong, I can take measures to try to
prevent it from happening again.

Reading everyone's suggestions pointed up causes that weren't uppermost in my
mind. For instance, Paghat mentioned nearby farms. I don't think they're close
enough, but it reminded me that there's is a huge, overgrown vacant lot 100 yards
away that was partially bulldozed when a structure was removed. The property has
some apple and crabapple trees in horrible condition, as well as all kinds of
berry brambles in bad shape. The destruction of their habitat might have lead to
some of the bad bugs migrating.

There's an old Italian guy just up the road who had a stroke about 5 years ago
and can't maintain his fruit trees. His fruit probably rots on the ground.

Both of these factors could explain some of the problem.

The weather has also affected the insects. Populations vary with every growing
season. Every year I try to spot as many of the bugs as I can. This year there
have been more sawflies, plant bugs, plum and black vine curculios, pear slugs, a
few types of hoppers, and ladybugs than usual. I've seen fewer varieties of
butterflies, and fewer individuals ... even cabbage whites, but there are a fair
number of moths of various kinds ... including fruit moths, and Iris borers. I
guess it's my own fault for having so many night flowering plants. ;-) Other
insect numbers and diversity seem to be about normal for here, though maturity
cycles are delayed for most. I look for population patterns.

My attitude is that that if I maintain good gardening practises, and take the
necessary precautions, next year will be better for the plum. There are things
that I can do, but other things are beyond my control.

I'm within spitting distance of a golf course, and they spray gawd knows what.
Several of my neighbours hire companies to spray toxics so that their lawns will
be weed and grub free. Luckily, some others are too cheap, and some have even
come around to a more organic approach after seeing my garden.

I keep a photo journal of the garden every year. I'll be putting August up in the
next few days, but here's July:
http://home.ca.inter.net/~stevedor/EGarden3.html

Happy gardening,

EV

The only time I stop spraying is when
the blossoms are out, since I don't want to kill my pollinators (bees).

Sherwin Dubren

paghat wrote:

In article , Larry Blanchard
wrote:

In article ,
says...
that's beautiful. thank you.

Yes it is. But EV doesn't have a hedge full of yellow jackets and an
allergic wife - I do :-).

I've tried traps and spray cans - Orkin is getting called Monday.

First off, I'm curious, does Orkin come out after midnight? Because if the
nest is assaulted in the daylight hours, most of the wasps won't be in it,
& it will take ghastly amounts of extra-poisonous toxins sprayed more
places than just the nest to get rid of them, & if there is ever going to
be a good chance of anyone getting stung by generally-innocuous wasps, it
will be while the Orkin dude is screwing around the nest.

Yellowjackets are gardeners' friends, as they eat garden-chomping insects.
A single yellow-jacket nest in a garden will be cleaning out aphids,
leafhoppers, beetle larvae, flies, & all manner of garden-munchers at a
fantastic rate. They also disperse trillium seeds, which imitate a meat or
insect odor that causes yellowjackets to cart away the seeds & drop them
elsewhere when they figure out it isn't meat.

Paperwasps abandon their nest after a single use, so their nesting
presence is temporary. If it WERE necessary to move one it could be
wrapped in plastic at night & carted away, as none of the colony will be
outside the nest at night; poisoning would not be necessary.

I've known many people who had serious even life-threatening allergies to
bees or wasps, but none thought the best way to deal with it was to poison
the garden & inevitably their pets, their kids, themselves, & all the
beneficial insects in the vicinity. My grampa had a bee allergy sufficient
that he kept a kit handy in case he was stung, but that didn't keep
great-grampa from keeping honeybees, & while my life overlapped grampa's,
he was never stung that I knew of & never had to use the kit.

Wasps don't have to be nesting in the garden to be in the garden; you'd
have to poison all the surrounding yards if their mere presence incited
such a phobia. The best way to deal with them is personal calmness. You
could offer wasps a greasy chunck of fried chicken & let them crawl all
over your hand in great numbers & the happy little buggers would never
sting you (they might accidentally nibble you if your fingers are greasy
enough to be mistaken for the meat). You could brush them off your
shoulder or off your sandwich with the back of your hand & they wouldn't
sting, though they might dart over your hand to get back on the sandwich.

At a recent lakefront gathering for a Golden Anniversary party, the
primary picnic area had a large colony of ground-wasps nearby. Grandkids &
great-grandkids of all ages were running around; people were eating
shitloads of meat; & the wasps were truly a nuisance trying to get their
share of the food. But even with a dozen rowdy kids running about, &
everyone's hands shooing wasps away from food, not one person was stung, &
the only complaint became that meat-eaters had to go indoors to finish
their meals in peace. I'd frankly still like to get rid of that particular
nest if meat was going to be eaten around there regularly, but it would
never be an allergy issue because those critters wouldn't even sting the
kids who were testing the limits of wasp docility.

They're not highly aggressive. I have lived around yellow jacket nests for
half a century & have never been stung by a paperwasp or ground
yellowjacket. I was once stung by a mud-dobber, but that was because I
leaned against it by accident & it was trying to get loose; mud-dobber
wasps ordinarily won't sting under any circumstance, their stinger being
for hunting much more than defense; they don't even defend their little
mud-nests. As a kid I once laid down under a swarm after a paperwasp nest
had had rocks chucked at it. Several of us kids lay perfectly still &
watched the swarm. At their angriest still it was a cinch not to got
stung.

Ground-dwelling & paper-nest wasps are only aggressive when their nests
are mucked with, so the best way to deal with them is by marking the
location noticeably & giving them some space. Nearly all wasp attacks are
the fault of people attacking the nest, even with freezing aerosols &
pesticides the wasps can still manage to be defensive as death is not
instantaneous. When their nest isn't mucked with, they're very easy to
live with.

There are two understandable reasons to not tolerate a nest; allergy is
not one of them since there'll still be plenty of wasps from elsewhere
nearby. But if a paper nest is built right outside the door, the mere
opening & closing of the door could make the colony feel threatened, so it
would have to be zapped at night with freeze-spray, wrapped in plastic, &
taken away (we had one on our front porch for a season however & the wasps
were so little trouble we failed to notice the papernest on the ceiling
until after the season was over & the nest was abandoned). The second
reason they might not be tolerated is for nesting right by a bar-b-cue or
picnic site. Although not apt to sting they can be so happy about all the
meat people are bringing to them that they will descend dozens at a time
onto every picnic plate & make it hard to eat in peace. If becoming
vegetarian isn't an option, then the picnic-site nest won't be very
tolerable.

But if one is lucky enough to have a nest in a corner of the garden where
one needn't be digging, or high in a tree where the colony is never
threatened, it should be cause for thanks, as they are assisting the
garden every minute they are active.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com

Old 31-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Pat Kiewicz

said:

p.s. you are wasting your money by hiring orkin or any similar killer
company because 1) yellowjackets usually overtake an older existing mole or
vole home and therefore it is quite maze-like; and 2) the yellowjackets will
just move their queen to another hole and make that their home. how many
holes can you hire someone to spray...and kill???

Don't know about Orkin, but I will put in a good word for some local pest control
guys. We had a tiny baby at home and *several* yellowjacket nests near the
front and side porches. Something *had* to be done.

Called a local pest control guy (not someone from the big chains). Watched
him through the front window while he smoked the nests, raked them up and
into heavy plastic bags, sealed them up and hauled them away. It was
worth every penny I paid him just to see that. (He remarked how unusual
is was to see so many wasp nests so close together.) Problem solved; other
than a few stragglers the next day, they were gone.

Now, I'm sure the guys at the big chains would be pushing to get you set up
as a regular customer for all kinds of preventative pesticide applications.
(That was the case when I called the company which starts with T and ends in X.)
But not every possible solution involves massive amounts of pesticides...

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 31-08-2004, 06:50 PM

you are a great person, ev...and i would LOVE it if you could possibly
contact me via private email...my earthlink spam go-getter will say HALT!
all spammers who go there...just request to be entered into my address book
and then we can communicate more closely without all the nuts. oh!! how do
you know that "I" am not a nut?? well...i am, sorta. i am a nut about not
adding any more chemicals to the waterways (one thing no one has happened to
mention). i'm also a nut against killing the birds, the bees, and any other
critter who was here before me (including white-tailed deer). so, if you
consider THAT being a nut, by all means, avoid me like the
plague...otherwise, dya think we could be gardening buddies?

Old 31-08-2004, 07:41 PM
paghat

In article , Larry Blanchard
wrote:

In article ,
says...
n article , sherwindu
wrote:

Many very odd things in what you wrote, bordering on phobic.

Hey Rat Girl,
I am sorry I don't belong to your church of the organics.

That you find better agricultural practices a religion indicates you are
not thinking rationally to start with.

another long rant snipped

Paghat, have you ever written a brief response?

Yes.

But I'm not all that interested in communicating with people with the
attention span of a gnat.

Now a report on the yellowjackets. I actually called Terminex. The
responder donned his protective clothing, located the nest, "froze" it
with about a 5 second burst of something, took down the nest and carted
it away. He informed me that the yellowjackets would be angry the rest
of the day and would die overnight. Apparently they need the nest.

If not for your attention span problem you would've seen that in my first
post that was the method I recommended, before noting that it really
wasn't necessary to remove them at all.

However, the frozen wasps do survive the freeze-spray I recommended, & if
the Terminex man believed they were dead, it's gonna be so funny when they
thaw out in the back of his van. I'm sure it was just your attention span
that confused you again though, & he well knew they weren't dead.

So - problem solved, no massive pesticide application, and you can kill
them without waiting for evening.

Wasps that are not in the nest during the freezing aerosol are still
present. All proper treatments are done after nightfall. They do NOT die
for lack of a nest, so again either you were having trouble with simple
sentences or you were intentionally misled by a company that doesn't want
to work late. Wasps outside the nest when it is assaulted will look for
another existing nest & join it. And unless your whole neighborhood is
unusually toxic, there will still be wasps in the neighborhood -- & many
species of wasps & bee-flies will visit your garden unless it is the most
horrifyingly sterile hellhole on the block. If there really are no wasps
left because you assaulted a single paper nest, then live in a toxic zone
that also lacks pollinators.

In any case, your attention span problem is just serving you ill. You are
so proud of your non-chemical method of getting rid of beneficial insects.
If you could pay attention, my point re wasps is they are GOOD for the
garden; any garden that has them is LUCKY; they are docile if their nest
isn't screwed with, & no harm to anyone, & of great benefit. The CORRECT
response to a paperwasp nest is to mark it noticeably so no one runs into
it, instruct kids not to molest the nest, & for that season you will have
one of the best controls for harmful insects living right there in your
garden. They will not be there the following year.

Removing them was merely moronic. If you can do something moronic without
adding the greater crime of spraying pesticides, well two gold stars for
your chore-chart. That makes you less a moron that the complete fool who
saw wasps on fallen fruit & feels he has no choice but to poison his
entire orchard from first bud to final leaf-fall, is feared the apple
worms are chasing him, & regards the proven superior methods for organic
orchards as merely the techniques of Satan worshippers compared to his
best friends the carcinogens.

-paggers

Old 01-09-2004, 01:31 AM
sherwindu

I am not going to let you have the last word on this.

I asked you for specific information on all these university reports about the
wonders
of fruit grown organically, and you ignore the issue. Give me a document location
on
the web that backs up your contention of superior tasting fruit from organic
orchards.

I have not said that organic prevention is totally worthless. I don't rely on
spraying
insecticides to do the entire job. I use sticky traps, wasp traps, and even nets
around the fruit to keep the bugs from attacking. My only contention is that for
the
nastier bugs, organic sprays have not yet reached a state of the art where they can
do the job. So if it comes to deciding between spraying and losing fruit, I'll
choose
the later. Also, you have not mentioned spraying for fungicides and organic ways to

prevent those problems. I have used organic sprays, like Rotenone, in the past, and

they just don't do the job. Maybe in your part of the country, you don't have the
problems with Apple Maggots, etc. like we have in the Midwest. I would be surprised
if you don't have some kind of pesky bugs, but not knowing about Washington State, I
can't judge the effectiveness of organic prevention.

I didn't say organic gardening was a cult, but the way you try and push it down our
throats gives the appearance of a cult (like this is the ONLY truth, and all
gardening
nonbelievers will not get into gardener's heaven). Also, your snide remarks against

not believers makes me think that you follow organic gardening like a cult. I know
some organic gardeners, and none of them threatens me with fire and brimstone if I
don't mend my ways.

Show me actual facts, and real documentation, and proof that organic gardening will
work in the really difficult cases, and then I am ready to switch over.

Sherwin Dubren

paghat wrote:

In article , sherwindu
wrote:

Old 01-09-2004, 04:09 AM
paghat

In article , sherwindu
wrote:

I am not going to let you have the last word on this.

I asked you for specific information on all these university reports about the
wonders
of fruit grown organically, and you ignore the issue. Give me a document
location on
the web that backs up your contention of superior tasting fruit from organic
orchards.

As point of fact I already named the universities that are doing these
studies on the Nortwest, the Great Lakes Region, & the Northeast, & if you
cared, you could've tracked down the specific sources -- you don't care,
so why should I do your footwork for you? Well, I will do it for you, not
that I expect you to change your attitude -- because what I reported is
not rare information from wayward loonies of the Green Party. They come
from conservative agricultural universities.

But then, you're the sort who only believes it if you see it on the web.
The idea of a library or a scientific journal or an experimental station
bulletin or even a PDF file not available for free is just too outre for
someone demanding a WEB PAGE before you'll believe it. Well, I can provide
you a WEB PAGE that proves Jesus was from Mars, I suppose you'll believe
that then -- but my citations are to the research stations.

ORGANIC APPLES HAVE *THE SAME OR HIGHER PRODUCTION* AND *BETTER TASTE*
than apples grown in orchards that do not adhere to organic methods. Such
were the findings of studies conducted by Washington State University.
Orchards using pesticides had either LOWER PRODUCTION or the SAME
PRODUCTION, but not higher; & in taste testings the fruit from pesticide
users lost out because fruit from organic orchards is superior fruit. LONG
GONE are the days when the organic section was a box of ugly fruit
shriveled & crusty.

The study is reported in NATURE April 18, 2001, & scores of other places;
the research is headed by John P. Reganold. The study showed that organic
orchards were furthermore more sustainable economically as well as
environmentally; that apples were easiest to test but the findings are
being found applicable to other orchard & vineyard settings in the midwest
& east as well. This study is presently in its Eighth Year (the NATURE
article was its sixth year); the Washington State University Cooperative
Extension Bulletin provides periodic updates on the ongoing research, &
growers magazines report on it reliably -- growers are definitely
following the techniques developed at WSU & MSU. There can't be anyone
left with a serious interest in orchards unaware of it.

They found some organic methods such as use of weed tarps to be costly or
difficult, so not everything organic was equally good. Their findings are
going into practical use every year -- doing away with organic methods
that are worthless, devising better time-tables & methods for what works
best organically. Research involves a great deal about the role of insect
life in a healthy organic orchard -- anyone using pesticides is just not
going to be even close, & morons who use NEEM oil & then complain organic
alternatives leave the fruit sticky are such profound morons it's
surprising they can use a computer to type such silliness on UseNet, since
that shows no knowledge of organic gardening beyond what can be read off a
bottle of whatever can be purchased at Home Depot.

There is an ongoing learning curve on what works best -- but already it's
working out way better than with chemicals. If you care about an orchard,
you will aprise yourself of it even if you must continue hate paghat's
guts for daring to be smarter than you are & impatient with you about it.
Some techniques such as hand-thinning were more labor intensive than the
chemical method, but the extra labor was STILL less expensive than
chemical methods so in final analysis organic was more profitable as well
as more effective.

Similiar research is ongoing at Michigan State University Agricultural
Experimental Station, who've gotten the same findings for the midwest. As
I already pointed out, apple maggot is VERY manageable without chemicals
-- it does require rigorous clean-up, but if there is no rotten fruit left
on the ground in which worms overwinter, there will be no first-generation
population to emerge in spring; further, sustaining meadowlands near
orchards increases the beneficial insect population, the predators such as
wasps being SIGNAL to a successful pest-free organic orchard, & anyone
boasting of killing all the wasps is of course much lower on the awareness
ladder than a baboon's handful of colon apples. The project is titled
"Ecology Research & Education in Production of Michigan Organic Apples"
with regular reports in FUTURES: MSU Agricultural Experiemental Station
Bulletin (some issues you can download as PDF files if you can't leave
your computer for anything). The organic orchards are coming out ahead in
the three major areas investigated: soil quality, fruit quality, &
marketability.

Plus MSU's project has established conclusively that chemicals are not
needed for apple storage. They have developed 100% organic means to
control apple scald, so that the three-million spent annually to treat
apples with DPA is money saved, besides that much smaller chemical-load in
what we eat.

The MSU Fruit School is now producing a generation of midwest
agriculturalists who will be MUCH smarter than the previous generation.
These aren't just ****wad liberals & commies as the anti-organic brigade
of chemical-swilling loons promulgates. Agricultural schools are
notoriously conservative & difficult to move from old positions. This
position, however, was just too unquestionably the better direction, &
even a way to stop farms from failing. The only ones fighting against
organic orchards right now are the manufacturers of all those unnecessary
toxins.

Similar studies are being undertaken by Cornell University for vineyards,
with once again the same findings. A vast array of articles in ORGANIC
GRAPE & WINE PRODUCTION SYMPOSIUM (Cornell University, 1995), & many more
vagrant articles in numerous agricultural journals.

There are more such studies up the wazoo. If I seem to be impatient with
chemical sucking DORKS who're constitutionally incapable of hearing the
facts, it's because this is not rare information. It takes no special
brilliance to figure it out, but it takes a special kind of idiot to
refuse to figure it out. It doesn't even take concern for the environment
since it's ultimately all self-serving & useful to Numero Uno: Man. I
posted all the above early in this thread, & yet you had the audacity to
ask that I provide information I already provided, because your ilk are
essentially self-blinded & will never stop coming back at the truth with
your prove-it-dipwad-greeny mindset -- it IS proven, if you can neither
follow nor tolerate the science that's not my fault, & if you really can't
find your way to organic research articles without me mailing them to you,
you're hopeless.

When someone starts from a position of disbelief that organic is better
for humanity & for the environment, when quite obviously it is better, no
amount of validating science as to the IMPROVED value of the fruits will
ever change what simply started out, & will end as demented thinking. But
these are the facts about organic orchards: The SOIL is better maintained
by organic principles (chiefly organic composts instead of chemical
fertilizers); pest insects & diseases decrease in significance year by
year in an orchard organically maintained; fruit improves in flavor in the
better-maintained soil of an organic orchard; & harvests are more
profitable in the marketplace.

Those are not opinions, that is what the science sustains in study after
study. What is now known to be true of orchards in general may or may not
be equally true of annual crops on a case by case situation; it is true,
as it turns out, for potatoes; but most annual crops do not have the
dramatic gains orchards acquire from organic methods. So what I've been
saying is RADICALLY factual for orchards which exclusively gain by organic
methods, even if perhaps less often definitely the case for annual crops.

Beyond that, it is also important to not have the chemicals in the food we
eat or sprayed all over effecting all life. To me it seems that even the
chemical-swilling jerkwads who don't care about the planet should even so
want the most flavorful & best fruits & the highest yields for the highest
profits -- just being selfish jackasses should be enough to want to do the
organic thing because it pays off in every way. But I guess I will just
never comprehend the agenda of chemical-swillers, & know only that no one
will ever reason people out of positions they never reasoned themselves
into.

So I post what is good news & merely fact, & a couple complete asses post
baseless unutterable nonsense about killing beneficial insects being a
good thing & chemicals being absolutely NECESSARY or the bugs will destroy
all the apples on earth. The "excuses" against organic orchards have been
all been red herrings. The demand that I provide citations (when I've been
the only one all along who provided any) come from jackasses who have none
of their own. If I'm not endlessly gentlehearted toward dumbasses it's
because I see close-to-hand the sorry effects of what chemical-swillers
destroy. Not just as a statistical fact, not just as a theory or
possibility for a destroyed future world. I live near Hood Canal, a DEAD
waterway, dead TODAY, dead for NO OTHER REASON than gardening chemicals
used by waterfront homeowners on their lawns & gardens, so that chemical
fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, & all manner of chemistry
washes into the water right off the lawns & gardens of waterfront homes.

I am old enough to remember there was good fishing in the Hood Canal, & it
was also home to giant octopi, & sea otters. My aunt owned a cabin on the
Hood before it became a hundred miles of mansions, & what beauty it was.
Now, DEAD. Just de-oxygenated depths of sal****er that cannot sustain an
ecosystem.

People who live on the Hood Canal demand the government do something about
it -- but this is one thing that can't be placed on the WHite House stoop
as one more evil deed of a sucky president. If chemical gardening was
banned along the Hood Canal it would recover. Alas, that simple response
will never happen. Because assholes are incapable of acting even in their
own self-interest, since they'd first & foremost have to stop being
assholes. Such assholes always have an excuse why it doesn't apply to you;
or they in particular can't do it for this or that imaginary-sound reason;
& when each excuse turns out to be provably false, you come up with
another equally fraudulant excuse. I've known people intent on suicide who
thought exactly the same way -- for every good reason to live they have a
not-so reply.

Old 01-09-2004, 06:41 AM
sherwindu

paghat wrote:

In article , sherwindu
wrote:

[...]

Not true. Its just that I know there is a wealth of information on the web from
reputable universities and research stations and I have done quite a bit of
surfing
on gardening topics. However, I have never seen anything to back up your claims
of superior organic fruit. OK, maybe insecticides are distasteful and harmful to
the
environment, but you can't convince me that organic fruit grows bigger, tastes
better,
etc. I will repeat myself again by saying the best tasting fruit varieties are
not grown
by organic gardeners because of their susceptibility to attack. I grow a
Williams Pride
Apple because it is a disease resistant variety and a nice early apple, but it
doesn't
taste as good as a Cox's Orange Pippen or a Hudson Golden Gem. Your State of
Washington is known for it's large production of 'Red Delicious' Apples. This is
an
almost tasteless fruit that only sells because it is large, bright red, and holds
up well
from orchard to market place. Many people are getting into organic growing not
because of their love of the environment, but because of the profit motive. They

have scared people to death about getting cancer from chemicals, and know they
can charge big bucks if they just stick the 'organic' label on their produce.

[...]

People should not buy fruit because it looks nice. OK, you don't have a web site
refer me to. How about a Journal article, or a book?

The study is reported in NATURE April 18, 2001, & scores of other places;
the research is headed by John P. Reganold. The study showed that organic
orchards were furthermore more sustainable economically as well as
environmentally; that apples were easiest to test but the findings are
being found applicable to other orchard & vineyard settings in the midwest
& east as well. This study is presently in its Eighth Year (the NATURE
article was its sixth year); the Washington State University Cooperative
Extension Bulletin provides periodic updates on the ongoing research, &
growers magazines report on it reliably -- growers are definitely
following the techniques developed at WSU & MSU. There can't be anyone
left with a serious interest in orchards unaware of it.

I don't subscribe to NATURE and living in Illinois, I haven't any contact with
Washington State U. or MSU.

[...]

Boy, don't anyone question your opinion about yourself.

Some techniques such as hand-thinning were more labor intensive than the
chemical method, but the extra labor was STILL less expensive than
chemical methods so in final analysis organic was more profitable as well
as more effective.

Similiar research is ongoing at Michigan State University Agricultural
Experimental Station, who've gotten the same findings for the midwest

I checked out MSU Experimental Station and they are indeed looking at
better organic methods, but they are also dealing with pesticides. Check
this from their latest web site posting:
http://web4.msue.msu.edu/msuewc/clar...ocumentID=1010
where they talk about the best way to use pesticides to control Codling Moths.

. As
I already pointed out, apple maggot is VERY manageable without chemicals
-- it does require rigorous clean-up, but if there is no rotten fruit left
on the ground in which worms overwinter, there will be no first-generation
population to emerge in spring;

That might work for your orchard, but you can't control your neighbors yards,
so for now, pesticides are the only method that really controls them.

[...]

These Dorks are the one's supplying the world with most of it's food. Perhaps
you
would rather have people starve, like in Africa where insects destroy a good
portion of their crops. Go preach your hard-line organics to a bunch of starving

people.

It takes no special
brilliance to figure it out, but it takes a special kind of idiot to
refuse to figure it out. It doesn't even take concern for the environment
since it's ultimately all self-serving & useful to Numero Uno: Man. I
posted all the above early in this thread, & yet you had the audacity to
ask that I provide information I already provided,

Why should I believe your undocumented references any more than the
ones claiming Jesus is from Mars?

because your ilk are
essentially self-blinded & will never stop coming back at the truth with
your prove-it-dipwad-greeny mindset -- it IS proven, if you can neither
follow nor tolerate the science that's not my fault, & if you really can't
find your way to organic research articles without me mailing them to you,
you're hopeless.

Just quit spouting articles you can't back up. It makes people think you
are making all this stuff up. No reasonable person will deny the value of
organic methods, but your claims that it results in superior tasting fruit,
etc.,
are just not true.

When someone starts from a position of disbelief that organic is better
for humanity & for the environment, when quite obviously it is better, no
amount of validating science as to the IMPROVED value of the fruits will
ever change what simply started out, & will end as demented thinking. But
these are the facts about organic orchards: The SOIL is better maintained
by organic principles (chiefly organic composts instead of chemical
fertilizers); pest insects & diseases decrease in significance year by
year in an orchard organically maintained; fruit improves in flavor in the
better-maintained soil of an organic orchard;

Maintaining good soil does help, but people were doing that long before
organic gardening came along.

[...]

If we stopped spraying insecticides now, we would have a world famine. You
should be a little more patient with your campaign.

[...]

Like everything else, pesticides can be misused.

[...]

One last word of advise. Maybe if you toned down your language, people would
start
listening to you. By the way, how did you ever get a name like 'ratgirl'?

Old 01-09-2004, 01:59 PM
escapee

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 05:41:21 GMT, sherwindu opined:

(...)

[...]

Excuse me, but organic growers are known for growing varieties which are disease
and pest resistant. It's part of the holistic approach to organic growing. I
have only tasted bad 'Delicious' apples when they were woody or lay around too
long, other than that, they are superior in taste, IMO, to many other varieties
of eating apples.

You are also incorrect about "profit motive" since many organic farms are very
small, and sell their produce at farmers markets, not on grocery shelves. I
have news, the grocery stores hike up the prices, not the growers. For
instance, bananas. If you see the word organic on a banana, it's generally a
useless term. Bananas normally never need pesticides to produce. In the case of
organic bananas, they are grown without the use of synthetic fertilizers. The
store hikes up the price because they are in their special organic section. I
shop either at the farmers market, or Whole Foods Market and their prices are
maybe 5% more than commercially grown foods, which use pesticides and synthetic
fertilizers. I know because Whole Foods Market also sells conventionally grown
fruits and vegetables, so I see the price side by side in many cases.

Oh, yes, people indeed DO get cancer from the chemicals being used. But since
the toxin developers are in bed with politicians, not much will be done about
it, at least till we get a different administration. AND, in one month, to take
this to another level, you'll once again be able to buy an AK47.

Good morning sunshine.

Old 01-09-2004, 07:09 PM
paghat

In article , sherwindu
wrote:

If we stopped spraying insecticides now, we would have a world famine.

Provide a REAL citation for that fatuous chemical industry propoganda
slogan, the blurting out of which indicates nothing but that you're a
hopeless case. You demanded citations from me & got them though obviously
you never really wanted them & still could not care any less about the
truth. You persist in this kind of merely political myth-making -- still
being that suicidal nutcase who no matter how many reasons to live he is
given, always has one more excuse why you should even so shoot yourself in
the head, taking down as many others as with you as you can.

Your knowledge of the causes of famine is way down there in the zero range
with much else you've been mistaken about this week. Get this if you get
nothing else:

Chemical dependency leads to environmental degradation leads to famine.
Organic farming is sustainable.

I will follow up with my usual complete overview, but if you're capable of
learning, all you need is the above two sentences to be much less foolish
than you've been up to now.

In some regions starvation has resulted because the best land has been
turned over to coffee bean production or sugar cane or some similar crop
to be shipped to the west, all land & profits gained by the land belonging
to a ruling wealthy minority, & no aerable land is available to peasants.
In other places it is due to patterns of drought & cataclysmic climate
changes such as the expansion of the Sahara. In others it is due
exclusively to warfare or to scorched-earth campaigns. In others it is due
to concentrations of populations due to migration to finite areas,
resulting from drought & desert expansion or even more commonly from
warfare. In the distant past there have been famines caused by dependency
on single crops & those single crops became diseased, & there is some
worry that this may recur in the future due to agribusiness's reliance on
decreasing numbers of species & strains of those species. In India which
many years ago undertook an unfortunate transition toward chemical
dependency for nationalistic reasons has increased the amount of land
that can no longer be farmed at all because toxic salts have built up from
continuous use of chemical boosters & pesticides -- this land is being
abandoned by rich agriculturalists but it is no longer useful for peasants
to farm.

So there are many causes of famine.

Organic farming has never been one of them.

As reported by the Soil Association in SOIL: The Importance & Protection
of Living Soil (2001), chemical & biotech dependent crops have been
leaching soil to death, & are will lead to famine. They recommend a
return, in both Europe & Africa, to organic farming methods which are the
only sustainable methods in the long run, besides producing a higher
quality of produce in the short run.

Even if SOME crops could be increased with chemical dependency, that issue
has no relevance in improverished parts of the globe which cannot afford
the chemicals. Whereas improving upon their own traditional methods can
increase crop yields 200 to 300% without resorting to chemicals. While
chemical fertilizers & pesticides deplete soil over time & kill its
essential living microorganisms, improving organic methods increases soil
richness & increases microorganism population, hence SUSTAINABLE increases
in crop production WITHOUT chemicals.

While the CHEMICAL and BIOTECH (GM) companies have undertaken a world-wide
campaign to promote the idea that organic growers in Europe & the USA are
"criminal" for turning more & more to organic farming, because they could
otherwise be growing much more chemical-dependent crops & send the excess
to famine-stricken countries. This of course is completely fatuous since
growers in the west can even be paid to grow NOTHING due to overproduction
driving costs down. At any hour, this very hour, world hunger would end if
all it took was to distribute more food from the west to countries where
drought or warfare or peasant lack of access to aerable land has caused
starvation. Blaming organic gardening for any of it is on the surface
completely loony -- you swallowed it because you already convinced
yourself of a lie before someone handed you a greater lie to reinforce
your first one.

The reality is that organic farming for orchard crops & many annuyal
crops produces the same or more produce than chemical dependent farming,
does so more cheaply, in a manner that protects the soil for future crops.
Even those annual crops that CAN be increased in yield with chemical
dependency deplete soil at such a rapid rate that land is soon depleted;
in Brazil the answer to this problem is to take a load of chemicals deeper
into the jungle, slash & burn so that nothing of the jungle remains, &
start over with a very few years of high-yield crops ending in land that
can never be used again. The chemical biotech industrialists expertly
trumpet "High Yield Non-Organic Farming" with no underlying science to
support what is purely a POLITICAL campaign so that a very few biotech &
chemical giants can control the production of food in third-world
countries.

In villages where traditional methods are still practiced, yields are low
but meet the local needs. When it becomes necessary to buy chemical
fertilizers & pesticides or special herbicide-resistant grains, the
expectation is not to feed people better but to have a salable excess
beyond local need; unfortunately, even if "greed is good" it is not good
in this situation. Profitable excess never happens in regions where the
main feature to overcome is limited water resources. Even in the fewer
cases where profitable short-range profits do occur from momentary high
yelds, the soil is rapidly depleted & the short-range gain ends in
long-run losses -- & famine. By then the soil may take years to restore if
it ever is restored, & the interuption in the use of traditional methods
results in extinction of sustainable seed strains, making it difficult to
return to the sustainable organic methods.

As oil-based products skyrocket in price, chemical-dependent crops become
less & less economically feasible. There are no chemical-dependent farming
methods that have ever been shown to increase production in regions with
limited water resources, & if the Hopi became non-organic farmers
tomorrow, their corn strains would soon become extinct. And indeed, one of
Monsanto's great goals is to drive desert-hardy, fertile, & sustainable
corn crop strains to extinction, in favor of their own seed alleged to
provide super-crops (impossible in desert conditions) which produce crops
that are sterile so that no percentage of the seed can be held back for
future crops. The purpose is NOT being to feed starving people but to make
starving people perpetually dependent on agribusiness for their seed. No
cash for the next year's seed, say hello to famine.

The governments of Kenya , Uganda & Tanzsania, in order to fight famine by
the best means, have undertaken nations-wide campaigns to re-establish &
upgrade sustainable organic farming methods. The chemical companies'
successful intrusions to do away with organic farming practices have been
a direct contributor to the destruction of croplands.

The BETTER system would have been, & still is, to share advances in
organic methods that may improve on localized primitive agricultural
systems without doing away with those traditional systems. Just one
example: the use of compost toilets can make an entire village a source of
organic fertilizer, breaking the cycle of dependency on chemical
fertilizer to prop up depleted soils; the use of the organic compost will
reverse soil depletion caused by the use of chemicals, thus resulting in
better more sustainable produce. Every problem has an organic answer that
in every case does indeed turn out to be the superior choice.

-paghat the ratgirl

some random quotes from others:

"If you apply organic principles and you take care of the soil in the
proper way, you can very much increase your yield. This is the most
sustainable way, not only for the export market but also for food
security." [Thomas Cierpka, executive director, International Federation
of Organic Agricultural Movements]

"Contrary to what its opponents sometimes suggest, organic farming is not
in the least anti-science and looks to biological science particularly
for assistance in dealing with fertility, crop pests and diseases.
Although research institutes in Europe have done much pioneering work and
several new centres are coming on-stream, Cuba probably has more
scientific resources employed in organic farming research than the rest
of the world combined. It had to - otherwise there could have been famine
back in the '90s when it was largely abandoned by its major supporter,
the USSR." [Grace Maher, Agriculture & the World Summit on Sustainable
Development, Sept 2002]

"Output levels in organic farming can match and exceed that of chemical
farming - eg see Teagasc, Johnstown Castle, recent report. And where they
don't, decent research funds would undoubtedly raise productivity. There
are many more studies - I'd be glad to cite them if requested. But, at a
practical level, take even my own humble case; I grow garlic, organically,
about 40,000 plants, and get yields over 100% more than the European
commercial average. Furthermore, a study I made on potatoes shows,
remarkably, that modern agriculture still hasn't equalled the output
levels achieved in Ireland before the 1840's Famine. .... Chemical farming
has left us a legacy of a degraded environment, mountains and lakes of
surplus produce, factory farming of animals, decreased employment and
profits in agriculture, and, of course, food contamination. Directly add
the costs of these effects to our conventional food (which we pay for
indirectly anyway) and we'll see the real price of food. The men in white
coats are scraping the bottom of the barrel for arguments to bolster a
losing case. Again, a pro-GM scientist (Conference on GM food,
Skibbereen, Feb '99 ) said - almost with a giggle! -* that, 'organic
potatoes are poisonous and you organic farmers here should throw them all
away.'" [Jim O'Connor, Ireland, from a widely circulated letter in the
Irish Times]

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 01-09-2004, 08:22 PM
simy1

Larry Blanchard wrote in message ...
In article , simy1@my-
deja.com says...
I do believe that things are different in different parts of the
country. On the west coast, I have seen unsprayed plum and apple trees
from Seattle to the Bay Area (including Portland and Eugene) producing
prolifically. In the Bay Area itself, I have seen countless citrus,
also unsprayed.

Many years ago, I moved from Louisville KY to Los Angeles. The
"natives" would ask me what was the biggest change, expecting me to rave
about the climate, the cultural stuff, etc.. My answer was always the
same "You don't have any bugs!".

So yes, things do vary from one part of the country to another.

So does the variety of yellow jackets and their agressiveness :-).

When I lived in California, perhaps one mile from my place there was
an abandoned Red Delicious orchard. It kept pumping out, year after
year, the sweetest apples I have ever eaten. They were too sweet, in
fact (I much prefer the tart, complex northern varieties, such as
Northern Spy or Liberty. And even when it comes to sweet apples, the
Michigan Golden Delicious are superior to anything I have tried). No
bugs, no blemishes, no spray, no irrigation (no rain for five months
before harvest) or fertilization. Incredible. It would take minutes to
go there and pick a bushel for the week (I am much the fruitarian in
season, ten apples a day is not too much if they are at their top).