Old 15-06-2006, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

Default Rocket potato when to harvest

I planted some rocket potato's on my veg plot they have grown well and now
have flowers on them, when is the best time to harvest them?. do I have to
wait for the leaves to die or can they be dug up now?

Paul

Old 15-06-2006, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Paul" wrote
I planted some rocket potato's on my veg plot they have grown well and now
have flowers on them, when is the best time to harvest them?. do I have to
wait for the leaves to die or can they be dug up now?

Rocket is a First Early variety, and an early one at that, so should
certainly be ready 12 weeks after planting regardless of flowers or dieback.
Can't remember when you planted them? It's why we write down all
plantings/varieties in a book year on year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-06-2006, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Paul wrote:
I planted some rocket potato's on my veg plot they have grown well and
now
have flowers on them, when is the best time to harvest them?. do I have
wait for the leaves to die or can they be dug up now?

Usually Rocket are ready in spring!! I'd wait till the leaves drop. Do
you have blue flowers? I've never seen them but you've reminded to try
them next year )

I have 'accent' for earlies and 'golden wonder' as main crop. This weekend I
will tease some soil away from one of the 'accent' plants. If the tubers are
too small, I will cover up with soil - no harm done.

Bertie

Old 16-06-2006, 06:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Paul" contains these words:

I planted some rocket potato's on my veg plot they have grown well and now
have flowers on them, when is the best time to harvest them?. do I have to
wait for the leaves to die or can they be dug up now?

Paul

No, you don't have to wait for the leaves to die and if they have
flowers I'd try an exploratory dig. I've been digging my earlies for
about a week (S. Lincs) so if you got them in in good time (in March)
they could well be ready.

Janet G
Old 16-06-2006, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Sacha wrote:
On 16/6/06 06:48, in article , "Janet
Galpin" wrote:

The message
from "Paul" contains these words:

I planted some rocket potato's on my veg plot they have grown well and now
have flowers on them, when is the best time to harvest them?. do I have to
wait for the leaves to die or can they be dug up now?

Paul

No, you don't have to wait for the leaves to die and if they have
flowers I'd try an exploratory dig. I've been digging my earlies for
about a week (S. Lincs) so if you got them in in good time (in March)
they could well be ready.

We had a 'feed' of Home Guard last night - absolutely delicious and from
Growbags, too.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I too have Rocket which have been growing in a large plastic tub. They
are flowering and the plants have drooped a bit. I am going to have a
look tomorrow and hopefully have some of my 1st home grown potatoes
with a BBQ tomorrow . I am very excited about the prospect

Old 16-06-2006, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from "Paul" contains these words:

I planted some rocket potato's on my veg plot they have grown well and
now
have flowers on them, when is the best time to harvest them?. do I have
wait for the leaves to die or can they be dug up now?

Paul

No, you don't have to wait for the leaves to die and if they have
flowers I'd try an exploratory dig. I've been digging my earlies for
about a week (S. Lincs) so if you got them in in good time (in March)
they could well be ready.

Janet G

Thanks for the replies
I worked out last night we planted them mid April so i will leave them be
for a couple of weeks.

Paul.

Old 16-06-2006, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Paul wrote:
"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from "Paul" contains these words:

I planted some rocket potato's on my veg plot they have grown well and
now
have flowers on them, when is the best time to harvest them?. do I have
wait for the leaves to die or can they be dug up now?
Paul

No, you don't have to wait for the leaves to die and if they have
flowers I'd try an exploratory dig. I've been digging my earlies for
about a week (S. Lincs) so if you got them in in good time (in March)
they could well be ready.

Janet G

Thanks for the replies
I worked out last night we planted them mid April so i will leave them be
for a couple of weeks.

Paul.

Gently scratch around, my earlies had not started flowering and I have
been digging them for over a week. Of course the quantity and sizes are
not as high as leaving them, but I grow earlies for the taste, small is
good.
Old 16-06-2006, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote after..
"Janet Galpin" replied to
from "Paul"

I planted some rocket potato's on my veg plot they have grown well and
now
have flowers on them, when is the best time to harvest them?. do I have
wait for the leaves to die or can they be dug up now?

Paul

No, you don't have to wait for the leaves to die and if they have
flowers I'd try an exploratory dig. I've been digging my earlies for
about a week (S. Lincs) so if you got them in in good time (in March)
they could well be ready.

We had a 'feed' of Home Guard last night - absolutely delicious and from
Growbags, too.

That's showing off, it's how they grow them so perfect for shows.
We have started digging ours, Vanessa has grown well, has large haulms and
has proved an excellent cropper with the spuds all close to the main stem.
The little spuds are, unusually, a nice shade of pink with a good taste. The
other one we are trying this year, Princess, isn't so well advanced, which
is good as it extends the season.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-06-2006, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 16/6/06 16:59, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote after..
"Janet Galpin" replied to
from "Paul"

I planted some rocket potato's on my veg plot they have grown well and
now
have flowers on them, when is the best time to harvest them?. do I have
wait for the leaves to die or can they be dug up now?

Paul

No, you don't have to wait for the leaves to die and if they have
flowers I'd try an exploratory dig. I've been digging my earlies for
about a week (S. Lincs) so if you got them in in good time (in March)
they could well be ready.

We had a 'feed' of Home Guard last night - absolutely delicious and from
Growbags, too.

That's showing off, it's how they grow them so perfect for shows.

Funny you should say that - Ray did them in case we wanted them for the
'garden' at the County Show. We didn't use them in the end but now we're
reaping the benefits!

We have started digging ours, Vanessa has grown well, has large haulms and
has proved an excellent cropper with the spuds all close to the main stem.
The little spuds are, unusually, a nice shade of pink with a good taste. The
other one we are trying this year, Princess, isn't so well advanced, which
is good as it extends the season.

I love the tiny little chats and sometimes roast them with rosemary and a
little rock salt. Delicious!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-06-2006, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"Sacha" wrote after..
"Janet Galpin" replied to
from "Paul"

[...]

I've grown Lady Christl for the first time this year and found them very
good. Really nice new potato taste, very early and quite prolific.

Janet G
Old 18-06-2006, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe

"Paul" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies
I worked out last night we planted them mid April so i will leave them be
for a couple of weeks.

I planted my Accents on April 17th and lifted one stalk PM. About 400g of
eggs sized and larger. They were nice as a potatoe salad as no hot meal was
planned for this evening.
I wouldn't wait 2 weeks.

Bertie