Old 16-12-2003, 02:32 PM
animaux

Default Is Wayside Insane?

Just got their catalog. Black Bamboo, one gallon pot, $125.00.

One oakleaf hydrangea with the chartreuse foliage, $45.00.

I truly don't know how they make any money there. Does anyone actually think
these are as rare as they try to make you believe?

Pam, how much did that dwarf hydrangea sell for at a garden center?

Old 16-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Yes they are and they have gall too!

I have often wondered why in the heck they call themselves Wayside in the
first place.

Makes me think of that famous WC story that made Jack Parr quit the Tonight
Show!!!

It only proves that P.T. Barnum was right when he said "There's a sucker
born every minute"!!!

And I'm not talking about the suckers you propagate big Bamboo from
either!!!

Old 16-12-2003, 03:32 PM
digger doug

IMHO Yes they are, and they want $9.00 for a run of the mill perennials.
The one good thing about it is in my area two farmers have started
growing perennials with a starting price of $1.50 - $2.50 . Yes they are
4 inch pot but it is amazing how fast they grow. It is also amazing how
fast the farmers business grew too . To me who likes to grow in drifts
of 7 to 15 plants this has been a god
sent.-----http://community-2.webtv.net/diggerdoug/diggerdougseden/
This is a result of my discount buying ---digger

Old 16-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Pam - gardengal

"animaux" wrote in message
Just got their catalog. Black Bamboo, one gallon pot, $125.00.

One oakleaf hydrangea with the chartreuse foliage, $45.00.

I truly don't know how they make any money there. Does anyone actually

think
these are as rare as they try to make you believe?

Pam, how much did that dwarf hydrangea sell for at a garden center?

$30 before my discount. Not exactly a bargain, but much less than Wayside.
And they are trying to get folks to think it is their "exclusive" when it is
obviously not. Black bamboo IS expensive but not that expensive - for the
equivalent price here you will get a mature and full 5 gallon container.

pam - gardengal

Old 16-12-2003, 05:02 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article , "Cereoid-UR12-"
writes:

I have often wondered why in the heck they call themselves Wayside in the
first place.

Because about 30 or more years ago, they were WAY out
in the country near Mentor Ohio, by the SIDE of the road.
They were a very good nursery, that then went out of business,
and Park's bought the Name. They had a good reputation back
then.

Emilie
NorCal
Old 16-12-2003, 05:03 PM
animaux

I mean, I know black bamboo is expensive. I can buy a 20 gallon pot for about 60
dollars, but that's a twenty gallon mature plant!

Oh well. I'm having trouble knowing I'm old enough to get the Jack Parr joke!

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:28:01 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
opined:

Yes they are and they have gall too!

I have often wondered why in the heck they call themselves Wayside in the
first place.

Makes me think of that famous WC story that made Jack Parr quit the Tonight
Show!!!

It only proves that P.T. Barnum was right when he said "There's a sucker
born every minute"!!!

And I'm not talking about the suckers you propagate big Bamboo from
either!!!

.. .

Old 16-12-2003, 05:03 PM
animaux

I have planted many display gardens at different times when I worked in the
garden center trade. At the end of any given growing season, there was
absolutely no difference between a 4" pot or a gallon pot. Actually, in many
cases the 4" pot did better.

I always opt to buy the 4", not only because it's cheaper by a long shot, but
it's usually a healthier plant and hasn't made its way up through several
transplants by nursery owners.

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:09:53 -0500 (EST), (digger doug)
opined:

Old 16-12-2003, 05:04 PM
animaux

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:23:14 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
opined:

$30 before my discount. Not exactly a bargain, but much less than Wayside.
And they are trying to get folks to think it is their "exclusive" when it is
obviously not. Black bamboo IS expensive but not that expensive - for the
equivalent price here you will get a mature and full 5 gallon container.

pam - gardengal

Well, 30 is certainly a much more feasible price for something which is
relatively rare. However, I think I may buy a bucket of black bamboo, grow it,
divide it and start selling IT. Holy cow.

Thing with it here is that rarely, if ever, are there any clumpers which clump.
Most of the bamboo's run. Black is somewhat more behaved, but if unchecked for
a few years, you'd be inundated. I may have to grow it now. Geesh. I'd make it
much more affordable to the garden center so they don't have to charge so much.

Old 16-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Starlord

It only proves that P.T. Barnum was right when he said "There's a sucker
born every minute"!!!

He NEVER said that, it was a Newspaper reporter who put that in his news story
and it's gone on forever, but it is a lie, he never said it.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
. com...
Yes they are and they have gall too!

---

Old 16-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Vox Humana

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article ,

"Cereoid-UR12-"
writes:

I have often wondered why in the heck they call themselves Wayside in the
first place.

Because about 30 or more years ago, they were WAY out
in the country near Mentor Ohio, by the SIDE of the road.
They were a very good nursery, that then went out of business,
and Park's bought the Name. They had a good reputation back
then

I have family in that area and there are nurseries everywhere, including
Bluestone Perennials. I have been told that Wayside now gets some of their
stock from Springhill Nursery.

Old 16-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/16/03 3:33 PM, in article , "Vox
Humana" wrote:

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article ,

"Cereoid-UR12-"
writes:

I have often wondered why in the heck they call themselves Wayside in the
first place.

Because about 30 or more years ago, they were WAY out
in the country near Mentor Ohio, by the SIDE of the road.
They were a very good nursery, that then went out of business,
and Park's bought the Name. They had a good reputation back
then

I have family in that area and there are nurseries everywhere, including
Bluestone Perennials. I have been told that Wayside now gets some of their
stock from Springhill Nursery.

Now I thought that Springhill was owned by the same parent company!
Cheryl

Old 16-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Vox Humana

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 12/16/03 3:33 PM, in article , "Vox
Humana" wrote:

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article ,

"Cereoid-UR12-"
writes:

I have often wondered why in the heck they call themselves Wayside in

the
first place.

Because about 30 or more years ago, they were WAY out
in the country near Mentor Ohio, by the SIDE of the road.
They were a very good nursery, that then went out of business,
and Park's bought the Name. They had a good reputation back
then

I have family in that area and there are nurseries everywhere, including
Bluestone Perennials. I have been told that Wayside now gets some of

their
stock from Springhill Nursery.

Now I thought that Springhill was owned by the same parent company!
Cheryl

I think that Springhill was bought by a group of employees after the parent
company went bankrupt a few years ago. I live about an hour from
Springhill's facility in Tipp City, Ohio. After the bankruptcy and
reopening, it seems like it is a better company. The plants they sell in
their store are as nice as I see anywhere. They have an incredible catalog
clearance sale each June where you can get some incredible bargains -- same
with Bluestone Perennials.

Old 17-12-2003, 02:02 AM
MLEBLANCA

In article , "Vox Humana"
writes:

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message

writes:

I have often wondered why in the heck they call themselves Wayside in the
first place.

Because about 30 or more years ago, they were WAY out
in the country near Mentor Ohio, by the SIDE of the road.
They were a very good nursery, that then went out of business,
and Park's bought the Name. They had a good reputation back
then

I have family in that area and there are nurseries everywhere, including
Bluestone Perennials. I have been told that Wayside now gets some of their
stock from Springhill Nursery.

Oh, I'm glad that there are still nurseries out there and it's not all become
houses. I think I recall that the Wayside property did become a housing
subdivision(?) Bluestone was just getting started and was mail order only,
so I never got to buy any of their plants back then; I buy many of them
now that I'm in Calif.! LOL
There was a wonderful perennial nursery out on Plains Road in Mentor,
called Lohrey Floral Gardens. It was run by an elderly husband and wife
team. They had so many varieties planted in their large fields and would
go out and dig up the plants you wanted and wrap them up. You took
them home and planted them; everything grew so well.

Emilie
NorCal

Very reasonable prices too.

Old 17-12-2003, 04:42 AM

yeah... they sent a gloss catalog that I dumped in the garbage right away. prices
are nuts. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

Wayside cutting back on roses? torgo Roses 0 24-02-2005 03:38 AM
there will be an insane ramble later after I get home (OT of course ) but MORE blooming part three!! madgardener Gardening 6 29-12-2003 01:04 AM
Wayside Order clc Roses 4 11-04-2003 02:44 PM
North side of house - insane plants? Cereoid+10 Gardening 8 07-02-2003 07:59 AM
Echinacea 'Razzmatazz' - one ex Wayside employee J Kolenovsky Gardening 3 25-01-2003 03:16 PM