Old 07-09-2004, 02:27 AM
Registered User

Default planting walnuts

hey people, can somebody tell me how to get a walnut seed to germinate i heard something about a dormancy period in the fridge but thats as much as i know. i have also heard that people sand off some of the shell in order to get the gerination to happen earlier. Any ideas would be aprisiated thanks.
Old 18-09-2004, 07:04 AM
Bill

sasha wrote:

hey people, can somebody tell me how to get a walnut seed to germinate i
heard something about a dormancy period in the fridge but thats as much
as i know. i have also heard that people sand off some of the shell in
order to get the gerination to happen earlier. Any ideas would be
aprisiated thanks.

Stratification for 90 to 120 days is required for optimum seed germination
but the necessity and duration of stratification may vary by seed source.

Crack the green husk prior to planting.
--
The Hawke

Old 18-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Watcher

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 06:04:35 GMT, Bill wrote:

sasha wrote:

hey people, can somebody tell me how to get a walnut seed to germinate i
heard something about a dormancy period in the fridge but thats as much
as i know. i have also heard that people sand off some of the shell in
order to get the gerination to happen earlier. Any ideas would be
aprisiated thanks.

Stratification for 90 to 120 days is required for optimum seed germination
but the necessity and duration of stratification may vary by seed source.

Crack the green husk prior to planting.

I've scattered the local black walnuts in my fields and had plenty of
them come up the next spring. Nature seems to do a pretty good job of
stratification and planting them.

Old 19-09-2004, 02:22 AM
Bill

sasha wrote:

hey people, can somebody tell me how to get a walnut seed to germinate i
heard something about a dormancy period in the fridge but thats as much
as i know. i have also heard that people sand off some of the shell in
order to get the gerination to happen earlier. Any ideas would be
aprisiated thanks.

Stratification for 90 to 120 days is required for optimum seed germination
but the necessity and duration of stratification may vary by seed source.

Crack the green husk prior to planting.

I've scattered the local black walnuts in my fields and had plenty of
them come up the next spring. Nature seems to do a pretty good job of
stratification and planting them.

That's true, also read that gray squirrels have a germination rate of 7 to 1
over red squirrels.

Something about gray squirrels not remembering where they hid their nuts all
of the time! ;-)

--
The Hawke

Old 20-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Richard Cline

In article , "pennyaline"
wrote:

The crows carry walnuts and drop them at various places. They like to
drop them on roadways so that cars will break the nuts. Often their aim
is poor and they drop the nuts in your yard.

I would prefer not to have a walnut tree in my yard. The tree will
inhibit the growth of other trees or plants for a wide area. Nut
production usually depends on spraying the tree.

Dick

Anyway, I remember the walnut seedlings that seemed to spring up from
nowhere in my grandparents' apple orchards every year. Seemed like there
were hundreds of them, and the nearest walnut trees were in a neighbor's
stand of trees more than a mile away.

planting english walnuts matt Gardening 3 12-08-2003 01:42 AM
Walnuts! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 08-06-2003 07:56 PM
Walnuts RandyB Gardening 4 28-04-2003 12:08 AM
stop the walnuts rebecc Gardening 11 16-04-2003 03:20 AM
Strange things happening to the walnuts! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 29-09-2002 10:58 PM