Old 26-10-2004, 06:40 AM
sherwindu

Default Black Currant Problem

My neighbor has just planted a row of black currants, close to
my south property line. While trying to find some advice for him on
growing
them, I came across several references that state this plant can cause
white pine
blister rust and for that reason, it is not heavily planted in gardens.
I have a white
pine tree at the northeast corner of my house. Should I be concerned
about potential
problems? If there are any, does anyone have a suggestion on how to
minimize the
problem? I see there are some disease resistant varieties of black
currant, but
since he got these plants from a friend who can't identify them, it's
very risky.
I live in the Chicago area.

Sherwin D.

Old 26-10-2004, 08:15 AM
Henriette Kress

sherwindu wrote:

My neighbor has just planted a row of black currants, close to
my south property line. While trying to find some advice for him on growing
them, I came across several references that state this plant can cause white pine
blister rust and for that reason, it is not heavily planted in gardens.

Crush a leaf and smell it.

Heavenly scent? Congrats, you actually have a real black currant, Ribes nigrum,
which can carry a disease.

No scent? You have a Ribes aureum with large black berries, of no consequence to
any vegetation around them.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Old 30-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Ben Sharvy

Henriette Kress wrote in message . ..
sherwindu wrote:

My neighbor has just planted a row of black currants, close to
my south property line. While trying to find some advice for him on growing
them, I came across several references that state this plant can cause white pine
blister rust and for that reason, it is not heavily planted in gardens.

Crush a leaf and smell it.

Heavenly scent? Congrats, you actually have a real black currant, Ribes nigrum,
which can carry a disease.

No scent? You have a Ribes aureum with large black berries, of no consequence to
any vegetation around them.

Ribes aureum is carrier for white pine blister rust. Virtually all
Ribes species can carry the disease.

Henriette

Old 31-10-2004, 05:20 AM
sherwindu

Yes, but aren't the black varieties more susceptible than the red? I am excluding
the few variations of cultured currants where they have been bred to be resistant
to this disease.

Sherwin D.

Old 13-11-2004, 06:32 AM
Steve

Ben Sharvy wrote:
The currant isn't susceptible to the disease at all. It is strictly a
carrier...........................................

Well that certainly isn't true. Currants do get the disease and are
damaged by it. It may not kill the currant as it often does the white
pine, but it does get the disease.
I just did a search and the first site to come up happened to be from
the place where I spent the last 4 years of my college career:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3205.html

spread the disease to the pines? The disease must live its life cycle to
continue. How can a currant that doesn't get the disease and doesn't
produce the orange fruiting bodies on the under side of the leaf spread
the disease to anything? If it's not producing the fungus spores, how
can the disease get over the the pines?

Steve

Old 13-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Ben Sharvy

Steve wrote in message ...
Ben Sharvy wrote:
The currant isn't susceptible to the disease at all. It is strictly a
carrier...........................................

Well that certainly isn't true. Currants do get the disease and are
damaged by it. It may not kill the currant as it often does the white
pine, but it does get the disease.
I just did a search and the first site to come up happened to be from
the place where I spent the last 4 years of my college career:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3205.html

Hm. I stand corrected!
Old 13-11-2004, 10:39 PM
sherwindu

If the currant is resistant to the disease, how can they spread it to the white
pine???

Sherwin D.

Subject: Black Currant Problem
From: sherwindu
Date: 10/30/2004 11:20 PM Central Standard Time
Yes, but aren't the black varieties more susceptible than the red? I am
excluding
the few variations of cultured currants where they have been bred to be
resistant
to this disease.

SImply don't plant them near white pines (or any other five-needle pine).
According to most of what I've heard, you want them at least 30 feet away from
pines.

A couple cultivars, most notably Titania, are immune to it.

Resistance may help the currant, but resistant currants can still spread the
disease to pines.

-

sherwindu wrote:

My neighbor has just planted a row of black currants, close to
my south property line. While trying to find some advice for him on

growing
them, I came across several references that state this plant can cause

white pine
blister rust and for that reason, it is not heavily planted in gardens.

Crush a leaf and smell it.

Heavenly scent? Congrats, you actually have a real black currant, Ribes

nigrum,
which can carry a disease.

No scent? You have a Ribes aureum with large black berries, of no

consequence to
any vegetation around them.

Ribes aureum is carrier for white pine blister rust. Virtually all
Ribes species can carry the disease.

Henriette

theoneflasehaddock