Old 13-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Mark

Default Bringing rosemary inside for the winter

My rosemary plant went from a spindly little sprig to a big woody bush
(14" across/high) over the course of the summer, despite frequent
trimming for various culinary exercises.

I have dug it up and put it into a pot with some of the soil from its
garden bed.

What is the best way to ensure a good watering level? The bed it was
in was well-drained, and we rarely watered the garden this year thanks
to frequent-enough rains. Inside, the atmosphere is going to be a lot
drier, and I wonder if there are any easy tips on making sure the
plant gets the right amount of water.

Any ideas?

Mark
Old 13-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Blues Ma

Mark wrote:

My rosemary plant went from a spindly little sprig to a big woody bush
(14" across/high) over the course of the summer, despite frequent
trimming for various culinary exercises.

I have dug it up and put it into a pot with some of the soil from its
garden bed.

What is the best way to ensure a good watering level?* The bed it was
in was well-drained, and we rarely watered the garden this year thanks
to frequent-enough rains.* Inside, the atmosphere is going to be a lot
drier, and I wonder if there are any easy tips on making sure the
plant gets the right amount of water.

Any ideas?

Mark

Brought my rosemary, basil and sage in a couple of weeks ago.
I water them when dry, like any house plant.
The rosemary a little less often.
If there is a bit of sand in the rosemary's mix, it promotes the good
drainage they enjoy.
Clip judiciously indoors, sometimes they don't regrow as quickly.

Dorothy
*
*

Old 16-11-2004, 03:21 PM
clc

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
My rosemary plant went from a spindly little sprig to a big woody bush
(14" across/high) over the course of the summer, despite frequent
trimming for various culinary exercises.

I have dug it up and put it into a pot with some of the soil from its
garden bed.

What is the best way to ensure a good watering level? The bed it was
in was well-drained, and we rarely watered the garden this year thanks
to frequent-enough rains. Inside, the atmosphere is going to be a lot
drier, and I wonder if there are any easy tips on making sure the
plant gets the right amount of water.

Any ideas?

Mark

Good luck with it - I tried bringing it in for 4 years and it was always
dead within a month. I think my conditions were just too dry...?

Cheryl

Old 16-11-2004, 09:00 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:21:40 -0600, clc wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
My rosemary plant went from a spindly little sprig to a big woody bush
(14" across/high) over the course of the summer, despite frequent
trimming for various culinary exercises.

I have dug it up and put it into a pot with some of the soil from its
garden bed.

What is the best way to ensure a good watering level? The bed it was
in was well-drained, and we rarely watered the garden this year thanks
to frequent-enough rains. Inside, the atmosphere is going to be a lot
drier, and I wonder if there are any easy tips on making sure the
plant gets the right amount of water.

Any ideas?

Mark

Good luck with it - I tried bringing it in for 4 years and it was always
dead within a month. I think my conditions were just too dry...?

Cheryl

Same here. I've tried several times but they always die. I just buy new
plants every spring.

Old 17-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Mark

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message ...
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:21:40 -0600, clc wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My hope is that I can find a trick that keeps a rosemary plant alive
for years. I remember seeing a huge "mother plant" in a nursery long
ago; it must have been 5-6' high, 8' across and it had a main stem
about 4" in diameter. The nursery evidently took cuttings from it to
propogate new plants.

Mark
Old 17-11-2004, 08:46 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:45:31 -0800, Mark wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message ...
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:21:40 -0600, clc wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Several questions, what part of the country? was it in a green house?, did
you ask them how they got it to survive long enough to get that size?

Old 17-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Gary Woods

"clc" wrote:

Good luck with it - I tried bringing it in for 4 years and it was always
dead within a month.

I take a bunch of cuttings and start them indoors under lights; most of
them take, and I have a little Rosemary for cooking (also dried a bunch of
stuff from the outdoor plant), and plants to put out in the spring.

Old 17-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Katra

In article ,
(Mark) wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:21:40 -0600, clc wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My Rosemary plant is 3 years old now. I just leave it in the ground over
the winter. The herb bed is on the west side, right next to the
foundation of the house. My sage, thyme, dittany, oregano and mexican
oregano have also been wintering over in the ground. I have two
varieties of sage and two varieties of thyme, and this year I put in a
new curry plant and am hoping it also survives.

The longest I ever had a rosemary live was 8 years, but I think that one
died because it got shaded out...

During the winter, I just cover the herb bed with a tent of old white
sheets when it's going to freeze. I think the location being right next
the house keeps them warm...

It helps that I'm in central Texas tho' so our winters are not as cold.
It might drop down into the teens when we get a hard freeze!

I'd recommend that, if you have to bring Rosemary inside during the
winter, that you start it and KEEP it in a large pot all year and keep
it outside as much as possible! Only bring it in when there is a freeze
warning.

Use sandy soil.

Kat

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 17-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Blues Ma

Mark wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message ...
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:21:40 -0600, clc wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Well* -** where i live it's way too cold to just bury them outdoors, so as
i said in the first response, it goes in a south window and just gets
watered occasionally when it looks droopy.
I recently gave a six year old plant to my daughter, and the one i'll have
in for this winter is two.** It should to fine until mid May when it's
safe to put out.

Dorothy
*
*

Old 18-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Mark

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message ...
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:45:31 -0800, Mark wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message ...
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:21:40 -0600, clc wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
[...]

This was in central Kentucky, zone 6. At the time, I didn't think to
ask them how they managed to keep the plant alive from year to year,
but it was in a big greenhouse. I don't recall if the greenhouse was
heated...

Mark
Old 18-11-2004, 09:47 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:42:11 -0800, Mark wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message ...
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:45:31 -0800, Mark wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message ...
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:21:40 -0600, clc wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Kentucky is pretty warm and if it's in a greenhouse the temperature is
going to be pleasent all year round. I'm not surprised that it survived
there, I'd expect that it would survive outside also. I live in New
England where we have real winters. I gave up trying to get rosemary to
survive from year to year. I've tried keeping it in a pot during the
summer and then bringing it in and I've tried transplanting it back
from the ground into a pot, it always dies. I just buy a couple of new
plants each spring and plant them in the ground and hope for the best.
Things planted in the ground here grow well without doing any work. We get
plenty of rain so I don't even water my plants, I just stick them in the
ground in May and then start to use it on my lamb chops from July until
the plants die. I do the same thing with spaghetti sauce herbs (oregano,
basil and thyme), I plant them in the spring and then make 5 gallons of
sauce at the end of August when the local farm stand starts selling cases
of tomato seconds. The oregano surrives the winter but the others don't.

Old 19-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Mark

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message ...
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:42:11 -0800, Mark wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message ...
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:45:31 -0800, Mark wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message ...
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:21:40 -0600, clc wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Actually, Kentucky can get quite cold. The coldest I remember was
-17F, but that's unusual. We do, however, regularly get a few freezes
a year which go below 0F.

I tried last fall to construct a greenhouse over one of my raised
beds, but the PVC-and-plastic-sheeting approach literally fell apart
as soon as the winds topped 20 mph. I might build a small greenhouse
lean-to on the side of my garden shed for hardening off plants, but I
doubt it would do for wintering over anything.

Mark