Old 27-06-2007, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bringing inside tomato plant or not?

Have just been given a tomato plant about one foot high. We have a south
facing garden in north London. Would it make much difference to it, if I
brought it inside the house next to a south facing patio window? If it would
grow better tomatoes I would do it, even though I don't really have room for
it inside. (too many house plants in that location!)

Old 27-06-2007, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"torge conrad maguar" wrote in message
news
Have just been given a tomato plant about one foot high. We have a south
facing garden in north London. Would it make much difference to it, if I
brought it inside the house next to a south facing patio window? If it
would grow better tomatoes I would do it, even though I don't really have
room for it inside. (too many house plants in that location!)

Depends on the variety really. I grow Gardeners Delight in the greenhouse
and in the garden (against a SW facing wall) up here in Manchester, and both
do really well - although I'm convinced that the ones outside have a
slightly better flavour. The greenhouse ones are a few weeks earlier. You'll
probably be OK, unless it is a beef tomato variety - in my experience they
tend to be a bit tender, and don't like the rain at all. And just hope you
don't get any blight - I never do, but a friend across the village always
does and every year has to harvest the remaining toms within a couple of
hours of discovering it.

As for growing them in the house - my dad always had a growbag on every
south facing window ledge in the olden days when he didn't have the money
for a greenhouse. They always did OK, but the house reeked of tomato
foliage - nice until you have to live with it all the time!!

Old 27-06-2007, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Jun, 17:03, "Kase" wrote:

Depends on the variety really. I grow Gardeners Delight in the greenhouse
and in the garden (against a SW facing wall) up here in Manchester, and both
do really well - although I'm convinced that the ones outside have a
slightly better flavour.

Hey, I have always thought that and my tomatoes are mancunian too ;o)

Doing Coeur de boeuf this year. Beefheart that is.

Old 27-06-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kase" wrote in message

"torge conrad maguar" wrote in message
news
Have just been given a tomato plant about one foot high. We have a south
facing garden in north London. Would it make much difference to it, if I
brought it inside the house next to a south facing patio window? If it
would grow better tomatoes I would do it, even though I don't really have
room for it inside. (too many house plants in that location!)

Depends on the variety really. I grow Gardeners Delight in the greenhouse
and in the garden (against a SW facing wall) up here in Manchester, and
both do really well - although I'm convinced that the ones outside have a
slightly better flavour.

I agree about the flavour. I don't have enough room in the greenhouse for
all the tomatoes we want so I grow at least as many outside, have never had
a failed crop (although sometimes it's not as heavy as the more sheltered
ones) and the flavour is certainly better than indoor ones.

Mary

Old 27-06-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 5:28 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

I agree about the flavour. I don't have enough room in the greenhouse for
all the tomatoes we want so I grow at least as many outside, have never had
a failed crop (although sometimes it's not as heavy as the more sheltered
ones) and the flavour is certainly better than indoor ones.

Mary, what do you do with the large volume you grow, do you make
chutney if so, can I have the recipe please. I make tomato chutney
from our tomatoes every year but it is a recipe handed down and I
would like to try another one but only one that someone who makes
chutney would recommend.

Judith

Old 27-06-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 27, 5:28 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

I agree about the flavour. I don't have enough room in the greenhouse for
all the tomatoes we want so I grow at least as many outside, have never
had
a failed crop (although sometimes it's not as heavy as the more sheltered
ones) and the flavour is certainly better than indoor ones.

Mary, what do you do with the large volume you grow, do you make
chutney if so, can I have the recipe please. I make tomato chutney
from our tomatoes every year but it is a recipe handed down and I
would like to try another one but only one that someone who makes
chutney would recommend.

Judith

I don't often make tomato chutney so don't have a favourite recipe but there
are very many, it's worth experimenting if you like chutney.

I dry tomatoes (they're WONDERFUL!), bottle them, puree them and when I'm
fed up of seeing tomatoes (which can take a long time) and am running out of
time to deal with them I freeze them. Then they can be used for cooking.

But most of them we eat. Every day, sometimes twice a day, the very last are
left until Christmas Eve when we have out traditional Christmas Eve supper
of home made pork pie (Jane Grigson's recipe) and fresh tomatoes.

How?

Well, I never use green tomatoes for chutney, Instead I put the end of
season vines into a large basket or baskets. Every day I pick over the fruit
and we eat the ripened ones - they will ripen without the aid of bananas,
apples, brown paper bags, drawers or window sills. Eventually they're
reduced to one basket - and I admit some very small tomatoes. Then I pick
them off the stalks and still use them. For the last fifteen years the last
ones have been eaten fresh - although I admit somewhat withered - to begin
our Christmas festival.

After that I rely on the stored ones and don't buy any, we only use them for
cooking in the out of season months.

I make chutney but from other fruits, a neighbour gives me plums (which I
also freeze and dry) and if I don't have any fresh fruit to use and I
remember I make date chutney.

As far as I'm concerned the combination of a dehydrator and freezer(s) are a
gift to the Modern Housewife :-)

We love tomatoes.

Mary

Old 27-06-2007, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 9:30 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

I dry tomatoes (they're WONDERFUL

I have never dried them, I don't know how to but I do buy dried
tomatoes but they are expensive.

But most of them we eat. Every day, sometimes twice a day, the very last are
left until Christmas Eve when we have out traditional Christmas Eve supper
of home made pork pie (Jane Grigson's recipe) and fresh tomatoes.

You obviously have a storage place that is conducive to keeping them.

I make chutney but from other fruits,

I make tomato chutney with the addition of apples.

a neighbour gives me plums (which I
also freeze and dry) and if I don't have any fresh fruit to use and I
remember I make date chutney.

I was given a jar of date chutney last Christmas, it was good. I was
also given a banana chutney, it was err.. different.

As far as I'm concerned the combination of a dehydrator and freezer(s) are a
gift to the Modern Housewife :-)

What is a dehydrator?

We love tomatoes.

I know I saw you in that film about green tomatoes!! What was your
name again Miss ? G

Judith

Old 27-06-2007, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 27, 9:30 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

I dry tomatoes (they're WONDERFUL

I have never dried them, I don't know how to but I do buy dried
tomatoes but they are expensive.

What are sold as 'sun-dried' tomatoes are dried in commercial dehydrators.

But most of them we eat. Every day, sometimes twice a day, the very last
are
left until Christmas Eve when we have out traditional Christmas Eve
supper
of home made pork pie (Jane Grigson's recipe) and fresh tomatoes.

You obviously have a storage place that is conducive to keeping them.

Just our small kitchen :-)

I was given a jar of date chutney last Christmas, it was good. I was
also given a banana chutney, it was err.. different.

I don't like cooked banana in any form. Bleurch :-(

As far as I'm concerned the combination of a dehydrator and freezer(s)
are a
gift to the Modern Housewife :-)

What is a dehydrator?

A machine for drying stuff. It's usually electrically powered and warm air
is drawn over the item/s to be dried. There are various types.

We love tomatoes.

I know I saw you in that film about green tomatoes!! What was your
name again Miss ? G

er ... ?

Honestly, I've no idea what you're talking about!

Mary

Old 27-06-2007, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 10:24 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I know I saw you in that film about green tomatoes!! What was your
name again Miss ? G

er ... ?

Honestly, I've no idea what you're talking about!

I might be getting my films mixed up again, wasn't there a lovely film
about a lady who fried green tomatoes, who loved tomatoes, Jessica
Tandy or something like that? I'm sure someone here will know, I was
equating you with her, it was a compliment.

Judith

Old 28-06-2007, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 27, 10:24 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I know I saw you in that film about green tomatoes!! What was your
name again Miss ? G

er ... ?

Honestly, I've no idea what you're talking about!

I might be getting my films mixed up again, wasn't there a lovely film
about a lady who fried green tomatoes, who loved tomatoes, Jessica
Tandy or something like that? I'm sure someone here will know, I was
equating you with her, it was a compliment.

I didn't think anything else :-)

I've fried green tomatoes and they are very good. Last year I tried making a
green tomato puree and it waas not good - to our taste anyway. Still have no
idea about the film - we haven't a television and don't go to the cinema,
too busy with real life :-)

Mary

Old 28-06-2007, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jun, 09:06, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I've fried green tomatoes and they are very good. Last year I tried making a
green tomato puree and it waas not good - to our taste anyway. Still have no
idea about the film - we haven't a television and don't go to the cinema,
too busy with real life :-)

It's a book (which I recommend very much - funny and tender) by Fanny
Flag 'Fried green tomatoes at the Whistle stop Cafe' as Mel said,
which is much better than the film starring Kathy Bates (not sounding
remotely like Jessica Tandy). HTH

Old 28-06-2007, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 28 Jun, 09:06, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I've fried green tomatoes and they are very good. Last year I tried
making a
green tomato puree and it waas not good - to our taste anyway. Still have
no
idea about the film - we haven't a television and don't go to the cinema,
too busy with real life :-)

It's a book (which I recommend very much - funny and tender) by Fanny
Flag 'Fried green tomatoes at the Whistle stop Cafe' as Mel said,
which is much better than the film starring Kathy Bates (not sounding
remotely like Jessica Tandy). HTH

I'll put it on my list, thanks.

Mary

Old 28-06-2007, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 10:45 pm, "Mel" wrote:
I remember a film about green tomatoes. 'Fried green tomatoes at the whistle
stop cafe'? was it ?

Memory is failing me as I can't remember, all I know is that Jessica
Tandy was in it and she had an old black retainer, lovely chap who
took great care of her and there was something to do with fried green
tomatoes, I was on a flight to New Orleans at the time, the screen was
tiny, the earphones hurt so maybe you can understand why my memory of
it is not too good!!! However, as with everything, it will come back
to me - sometime.

Judith

Old 28-06-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 28, 9:06 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I've fried green tomatoes and they are very good. Last year I tried making a
green tomato puree and it waas not good - to our taste anyway. Still have no
idea about the film - we haven't a television and don't go to the cinema,
too busy with real life :-)

Do you have a radio or do you use your computer for World news?

Judith