Old 12-12-2004, 08:24 AM
My side

Default Jerusalem Artichokes

Finally found a source of seed tubers for Jerusalem Artichokes and planted
them in a raised bed. The stalks grew 10' - 12' high with 1 1/2 "
diameter. Tying them to the deck prevented them from being blown over.

I have now chopped down the stalks and the ground in the area is full of
good sized tubers. Now I need to know:
1. Do I have to dig up all the tubers.
2. How to store some for replanting next spring.

I live in Vancouver BC where frost is not guaranteed. Will this make a
difference in the methods of harvesting and/or storing?

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Henriette Kress

"My side" wrote:

I have now chopped down the stalks and the ground in the area is full of
good sized tubers. Now I need to know:
1. Do I have to dig up all the tubers.
2. How to store some for replanting next spring.

I live in Vancouver BC where frost is not guaranteed. Will this make a
difference in the methods of harvesting and/or storing?

Don't dig them up unless you want to use them. They're perennial, and can take
hard winters just fine.
Also, if you dig'em up and replant them _elsewhere_ next spring, you'll have
jerusalem artichokes in two places.

Resign yourself to always having jerusalem artichokes where they are right now.
Every bit of root that's a bit larger will sprout a new plant.

The only way to really get rid of them is for them to contract a sort of root
rot. You don't want that, because then you won't be able to grow jerusalem
artichoke near that spot anymore. It's a pretty plant, flowering late in autumn.
Very tall too: whoever wanted tall plants, this one is one, too.

The leaf can be used as a mineral-rich tea
The flower petals are edible but not all that soft.
The tubers, when ingested with simple carbs, slow down sugar release into the
blood, as they're loaded with inulin (a sugar we can't metabolize)(which is NOT
insulin, a hormone we need for our sugar metabolism)(the name inulin comes from
Inula, elecampane; inulin was first found in the roots of that plant).

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Old 12-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:10:05 +0200, Henriette Kress
wrote:

The only way to really get rid of them is for them to contract a sort of root
rot.

Oh no, a nice colony of voles will take them out, too.

The glass is half-full: The voles will entertain the cats.

The glass is half-empty: The cats will leave vole parts in the
best place for you to step on them.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Old 12-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Gary Woods

"My side" wrote:

2. How to store some for replanting next spring.

Per the previous reply, they store fine in the ground. To store indoors,
put in a plastic bag with a hunk of wet paper towel in the fridge; will
keep a couple of months this way, otherwise they go soft pretty quickly.
I'm brining some, just for grins and giggles, in a gallon jar; it's foaming
nicely... will report later on whether the result is vaguely edible,
considering that I'm pretty much an omnivore.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:52 PM
simy1

My side wrote:
Finally found a source of seed tubers for Jerusalem Artichokes and

planted
them in a raised bed. The stalks grew 10' - 12' high with 1 1/2 "
diameter. Tying them to the deck prevented them from being blown

over.

I have now chopped down the stalks and the ground in the area is full

of
good sized tubers. Now I need to know:
1. Do I have to dig up all the tubers.
2. How to store some for replanting next spring.

I live in Vancouver BC where frost is not guaranteed. Will this

make a
difference in the methods of harvesting and/or storing?

Thanks.

Since you have already been told to leave some of the smaller ones in
the ground for next year, the best way to prepare them is roasted in
the oven with some herbs. simple preparation, and they taste better
than potatoes. they won't last long in the fridge. I usually dig them
and eat them within a day. I do the same for potatoes except that when
the ground freezes (Dec. 15) I have to lift everything out.