Old 25-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Frogleg

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:25:48 GMT, curious wrote:

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Slice off top, then slice pods into 1/4" discs. Roll around in
seasoned cornmeal to coat, and saute in a little oil 'til crispy. They
can also be sliced thicker (1/2 "), then dipped in batter and
deep-fried. Or battered and fried whole. Harvest pods when they are
small -- 4 inches max -- as they get a bit woody when they grow
larger.
Old 25-12-2004, 02:07 PM
BOB

curious wrote:
The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

NOTES : After you have bought a okra, you will need a good
method of preparation. While this preparation method is a bit
unconventional, it will satisfy all unnatural cravings for okra.

1 bunch okra
5 sticks firewood
1 gallon gasoline
1 750 ml Jack Daniels

Pour a glass of your Jack (ice or not is optional). Take a healthy drink,
because this preparation is man's work.

Dig a hole in your backyard. About 3ft deep should be sufficient.
To this hole, add the okra and then the five fireplace logs.

Douse wood with the gasoline. Step back, and ignite the wood. Ensure
that the fire is on high.

Sit back, away from the fire, on a comfortable chair. Take another
drink or two. More as needed to help pass the time.

In about 45 minutes, the fire should have died down. Stir the embers,
until there is a consistency throughout of fine soot.

So that you remember this happy occasion, pour a shot of Jack into the
embers, utter "thank God," and "Got Yul", and go inside and have a great
dinner. Merry Christmas.

(apologies to A. Zelt and lutefisk)

Cooking Okra curious Edible Gardening 0 15-12-2004 03:25 PM
Okra harvest/seeds Lisa J Gehl Edible Gardening 3 04-11-2003 06:02 PM
snake gourd and chinese okra seeds kn125 Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
snake gourd and chinese okra seeds kn125 Texas 3 16-03-2003 09:32 PM
snake gourd and chinese okra seeds kn125 Texas 0 09-03-2003 01:39 AM