Old 05-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Bill Orr

Default tomato black spot

Each year, my tomatoes have a black rotten spot on the lower side that ruins
half the crop. Does this indicate some kind of soil deficiency; if so, what.
Also this year, I plan to use black plastic sheet mulch with pine bark mulch on
top of that. I haven't ever did this before so I can't predict the results. If
nothing else, it looks good and keeps the weeds out.

Bill

--
http://home.earthlink.net/~billbernice1/
Includes "Poems of the Sea"

Old 05-01-2005, 09:23 PM
GA Pinhead

Bill:

Sounds like blossom end rot.

Calcium deficiency. You can spray calcium on the flowers as well as using
soil additives.

John!

nk.net...

Old 05-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Steve

John is right, of course, but the problem is also made worse by uneven
moisture in the soil. I have been growing all my tomatoes through black
plastic mulch for several years now and blossom end rot is no longer a
problem.
Bill, if you follow your plan to use the black plastic, you might try
doing nothing else the first year. If the problem still exists, then try
a calcium spray. Do you suppose your soil is deficient in calcium? Do
you ever test your soil to see if you should be adding lime?
One more thing, if you live where it gets very hot early in the season,
then using the pine mulch over the plastic is good. If you live where
the season starts out rather cool, you might leave the pine mulch off
until the soil has a chance to warm up a bit.

Steve

GA Pinhead wrote:
Bill:

Sounds like blossom end rot.

Calcium deficiency. You can spray calcium on the flowers as well as using
soil additives.

John!

nk.net...

Old 06-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Bill Orr

"Steve" wrote in message

John is right, of course, but the problem is also made worse by uneven
moisture in the soil. I have been growing all my tomatoes through black
plastic mulch for several years now and blossom end rot is no longer a
problem.
Bill, if you follow your plan to use the black plastic, you might try
doing nothing else the first year. If the problem still exists, then try
a calcium spray. Do you suppose your soil is deficient in calcium? Do
you ever test your soil to see if you should be adding lime?
One more thing, if you live where it gets very hot early in the season,
then using the pine mulch over the plastic is good. If you live where
the season starts out rather cool, you might leave the pine mulch off
until the soil has a chance to warm up a bit.

Steve

Thanks, Steve, also to John. I think I will do just as you suggested, Steve.
Yes, I have tested the ph of the soil. It tested a little high on acid a few
years ago so I added lime and the next year it tested ok. Now, I'll have to
wait until spring.

Regards,
Bill

Old 09-01-2005, 02:04 AM
Craig Watts

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:21:19 GMT, "Bill Orr"
wrote:

Each year, my tomatoes have a black rotten spot on the lower side that ruins
half the crop. Does this indicate some kind of soil deficiency; if so, what.
Also this year, I plan to use black plastic sheet mulch with pine bark mulch on
top of that. I haven't ever did this before so I can't predict the results. If
nothing else, it looks good and keeps the weeds out.

Bill

--
http://home.earthlink.net/~billbernice1/
Includes "Poems of the Sea"

This is my personal experience:

I fertilize tomatoes very early and very lightly when they are
planted. I do NOT fertilize while they are growing the green. If you
do they will become as tall as pine trees with no fruit. I then watch
as the flowers flower and set fruit. Still no more fertilizer. Then as
the fruits are full size I fertilize a little with common fertilizer.
I conseptually see this as solving the calcium deficiancy. It works
for me and keeps the ends from turning black as the fruit ripens from
green to red.

Again, my personal experience.

And yes, consistant soil moisture helps the skins from not blowing out
and cracking.

HTH

Craig