Old 08-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Bill Orr

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:47:25 -0500, Ken Anderson wrote:

What variety is the well-know Idaho potato? The seed catalogs never

identify
any of their varieties as the "Idaho" potato. Yes, I know I probably can't
grow a potato as tasty as an Idaho baker, but what variety is it?
Ken

Just curious, why would you want to grow a super market variety potato?
Potatos aren't any better when they are fresh, a potato that's been in
your refrigerator for two months tastes the same as one that you just
bought so there is no advantage to pulling one out of the ground and
throwing it in to a pot. Also supermarket varieties are bred for yield and
durability not for flavor. If you are going to grow a potato why don't
you grow an exotic variety. We have something on the order of four
varieties in our supermarkets, in Peru there are 8000 varieties of
potatos. Surely there must be some way to get a hold of a potato other
than an Idaho or a Maine.

You are right in that there are numerous varieties of potatoes, many of them
more tasty than others. When I was in Germany, I used to go to a restaurant
that served Vienasnitzel and Homefrys. The potatoes were darker than the Idaho
and had a kind of sweet taste. I've never been able to find the same potato
here in the states.

Bill

Old 08-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Ken Anderson

[...]

I don't want to go through 8000 varieties to find one better than an Idaho?

Old 09-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Steve

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:47:25 -0500, Ken Anderson wrote:
Just curious, why would you want to grow a super market variety potato?
Potatos aren't any better when they are fresh, a potato that's been in
your refrigerator for two months tastes the same as one that you just
bought so there is no advantage to pulling one out of the ground and
throwing it in to a pot...................................

Well, I can't agree with that. I love the taste of fresh dug potatoes in
the late summer. Definitely a better taste than after storage.
Do you really store potatoes in the refrigerator? I've never done that
because I have read that storing them that cold changes the flavor.
It's hard to beat an Idaho russet potato for baking. Their wonderful
fluffy white texture is the best. Of course, that fluffy texture makes
them a poor choice for other uses.
For boiled potatoes, served hot or cooled for use in a potato salad
there are other choices. You need more of a waxy texture for boiling.
This is where those unusual varieties really pay off.
By the way, many years ago I did grow some sprouted Idaho russet
potatoes in my garden. They had the same good baking quality as the one
from the store but they didn't get as big nor were they very productive
here in my northern NY garden.

Steve
Old 09-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Loki

il Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:39:34 -0500, "Ken Anderson" ha scritto:

I don't want to go through 8000 varieties to find one better than an Idaho?

You don't. You try a few on recommendations. :-)

--
Cheers,
Loki Who has never had an Idaho potato...

Old 14-01-2005, 09:57 PM
John Savage

General Schvantzkoph writes:
Just curious, why would you want to grow a super market variety potato?
Potatos aren't any better when they are fresh, a potato that's been in

You should have started out by saying: "I've never tasted a home-grown
potato, but ...."

You see, young home-grown potatoes have a taste beyond anything you can
buy at the store, even for an identical variety--they are like a
different vegetable! Just as the home-grown tomato has a flavour way
beyond that of the store-bought one (even though they may be the same
'plastic' supermarket variety).

Old 02-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Jan Flora

In article et,
"Bill Orr" wrote:

[...]

Sorry this response is so late. I just spotted your post.

Look up the "Plant Materials Center" in Alaska on a websearch. (They are
attached to the Dept. of Natural Resources, Division of Ag.)

They have about 250 kinds of spuds. Email them and ask if anyone up
there would know what variety is popular in Germany for homefries.
I'll bet you someone will know and they'll probably be able to sell you
some seed spuds.

Jan, in Homer, Alaska
Old 04-02-2005, 01:12 AM
Glenna Rose

writes:

My grandfather made a living growing the "Idaho Potato" both as food and
as seed potatoes for many years. Last summer was the first year my
uncle did not grow potatoes. No more free, fresh potatoes with a known
history for me. Somehow alfalfa just isn't as appealing.

Not as appealing, but alfalfa holds up longer in cold storage. g

Glenna