Old 13-01-2005, 03:33 AM
Stuntz

Default What do you use to make the rows in your Garden?

Just wandering what you all use to make the rows in your garden.

Old 13-01-2005, 05:54 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Stuntz" stuntz @excite.com wrote in message
om...
: Just wandering what you all use to make the rows in your garden.
:
:

Mostly I don't make rows but where I do I use a string line.

David

Old 13-01-2005, 03:35 PM
simy1

Stuntz wrote:
Just wandering what you all use to make the rows in your garden.

I have to make rows only about 10% of the time. But when needed and
with bare soil (most of my soil is covered with last year's leaves), I
just scratch a row with an old tent stake. I don't even need to
backfill it because I have made it an habit to mix my seeds with
playsand.

Old 13-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Ken Anderson

"Stuntz" stuntz @excite.com wrote in message
om...
Just wandering what you all use to make the rows in your garden.

Two broom handles, string, and a tape measure. I've actually used a square to
keep the garden, well, square. And I use the tape to actually put the seeds
in the ground at the proper spacing. Please don't laugh at me. ; )

Old 13-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:21:25 -0500, "Ken Anderson"
wrote:

"Stuntz" stuntz @excite.com wrote:
Just wandering what you all use to make the rows in your garden.

Two broom handles, string, and a tape measure. I've actually used a square to
keep the garden, well, square. And I use the tape to actually put the seeds
in the ground at the proper spacing. Please don't laugh at me. ; )

How's about if we snicker quietly behind your back?

My "rows" have more in common with a snake than a square! Trying to
put everything in straight lines would waste space in some places and
crowd plants in others. And then there are the basil plants that pop
up between rows, I don't have the heart to pull them all up. Not to
mention those late or extra vegetable plants I always end up with,
I can sorta squeeze them in those odd corners and wiggles.

Penelope

Old 14-01-2005, 12:46 AM
Ken Anderson

wrote:

"Stuntz" stuntz @excite.com wrote:
Just wandering what you all use to make the rows in your garden.

Two broom handles, string, and a tape measure. I've actually used a square

keep the garden, well, square. And I use the tape to actually put the

seeds
in the ground at the proper spacing. Please don't laugh at me. ; )

How's about if we snicker quietly behind your back?

My "rows" have more in common with a snake than a square! Trying to
put everything in straight lines would waste space in some places and
crowd plants in others. And then there are the basil plants that pop
up between rows, I don't have the heart to pull them all up. Not to
mention those late or extra vegetable plants I always end up with,
I can sorta squeeze them in those odd corners and wiggles.

Penelope

I find it torture to thin, also. About the tape measure, I use graph paper to
lay out the garden, so I've gotta use the tape to get everything just right.
Here's a freebie for making the paper:
http://www.graphtablet.com/

Old 14-01-2005, 05:01 AM
Puckdropper

My eyes and a hoe or shovel. I put to markers at either end of a row to
space where I want it and use a series of short straight strokes to get
fairly straight lines.

It doesn't really matter when growing watermelon, though. They vine out
from the seed in 4 or more directions.

I get more good eats than bad eats out of it so I'm happy.

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Old 14-01-2005, 06:10 AM
omi

"Stuntz" stuntz @excite.com wrote:
Just wandering what you all use to make the rows in your garden.

My garden beds are 4' X 8'. I use 8' long 1X2 furr strips (actually 3/4 X 1
1/2) with shallow saw cuts at 2" and 3" along the length to space seeds at
multiples of 2" or 3" depending on the plant or seed, then plant on both
sides for the furr strip to make a double row. . There are usually four
double rows spaced 1' apart. As an example, I can get 72 onions or garlic
bulbs spaced at 5" (by interpolating) in one 4X8 bed. After planting, I
replace the furr strip with an 8' long drip tape for each double row spaced
4' apart on a 1/2 inch drip tape header. The drip system is transportable
between all of the 4X8 beds. Most of the tapes have been in use for about 8
years - some have had to be replaced when damaged by tools. Olin