Old 21-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Rogerx

Default ROW TILLER (Need advice)

Okay, a little background, so you will understand my needs(or
question).

I had a 5hp rear tine tiller(a darling). I gave it to my son because
I am in my 70's and could not start and handle it any more. I bought
me a small Ryobi tiller(huge mistake). It will start and run for 30
minutes and then quit for the day(repair shops said there was nothing
wrong with it, until after the warranty was out. .you know how the
story goes).

I have a small tractor with a 42" tiller on it for initially
preparing the soil, but after the garden is planted I can't do
anything with it. And I can't use it in my flower beds.

QUESTION: What about an electric tiller, or battery operated one????
Anyone had any experience with them, go or bad. What is the brand
name of some?

Thanks in advance for your help. Rogerx

Old 21-01-2005, 05:07 PM
zxcvbob

Rogerx wrote:
Okay, a little background, so you will understand my needs(or
question).

I had a 5hp rear tine tiller(a darling). I gave it to my son because
I am in my 70's and could not start and handle it any more. I bought
me a small Ryobi tiller(huge mistake). It will start and run for 30
minutes and then quit for the day(repair shops said there was nothing
wrong with it, until after the warranty was out. .you know how the
story goes).

I have a small tractor with a 42" tiller on it for initially
preparing the soil, but after the garden is planted I can't do
anything with it. And I can't use it in my flower beds.

QUESTION: What about an electric tiller, or battery operated one????
Anyone had any experience with them, go or bad. What is the brand
name of some?

Thanks in advance for your help. Rogerx

I have a Mantis tiller that I bought 12 years ago, and I hate it. It
only worked well for one season. I have lots of 2-cycle equipment, and
the Mantis tiller is the only one I have trouble with. Also, it was
just a little too light and bounced around a lot when I could get it to run.

Last year I bought a little Honda 4-cycle tiller (model FG-100?), and it
is easy to start and is much easier to use than the Mantis. It is only
a couple of pounds heavier than the Mantis, but the extra weight makes a
big difference in the handling.

It has detachable transport wheels like a big front-tine tiller -- I
took them off of mine and I just carry the thing by the top handle, but
if it's too heavy for you to carry you can rool it around with the back
wheels.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 21-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Al

Rogerx wrote:
Okay, a little background, so you will understand my needs(or
question).

(snip)

Like you, we have a utility tractor with a 5 ft. PTO tiller for initial
prep. I had a rear tine heavy duty tiller for cultivating, but it
became to difficult to start, so I sold it and purchased an electric
start Troy-bilt. Appreciate the electric start and it is somewhat
lighter weight then the Ariens we replaced so great for lighter work.
Runs well. Good luck.

Old 24-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Steve Calvin

zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

Different view on the Mantis... I've had mine for 5 years and the thing
will dig up anything. I had to rebuild the carb last year but that's to
be expected. Starts the second pull ever time and I've yet to see
something it would go through. I put in a large set of walkways and a
20 foot diameter patio last year. I needed to dig 10" deep for the base,
item 4, stone dust, etc. The first 6" were nice topsoil and after that
it was somekind of crap about the consistancy of concrete with a *lot*
of rocks in it. The Mantis had absolutely no problem.

The only fault that I have with it is that it does tend to try and "kick
up" when it hits something like a root or rock. You pull it backward
versus going forward and gotta hang on to it.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Old 24-01-2005, 02:50 PM
zxcvbob

Steve Calvin wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

I think mine has a bad carburator, and I've had it rebuilt a couple of
times but I really need to have it replaced. But since I bought the
Honda tiller, I have no use for the Mantis and will probably try to sell
it (not that I'll get much for it.)

Starts the second pull ever time and I've yet to see something it
would go through. I put in a large set of walkways and a 20 foot
diameter patio last year. I needed to dig 10" deep for the base, item
4, stone dust, etc. The first 6" were nice topsoil and after that it
was somekind of crap about the consistancy of concrete with a *lot*
of rocks in it. The Mantis had absolutely no problem.

The only fault that I have with it is that it does tend to try and
"kick up" when it hits something like a root or rock. You pull it
backward versus going forward and gotta hang on to it.

The Honda is the same way, but because it is a couple of pounds heavier
it doesn't buck near as much and you don't have to wrestle with it.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 24-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Steve Calvin

zxcvbob wrote:
Steve Calvin wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bob, I'll keep that in mind if the Mantis bites the bullet.

Old 26-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Rogerx

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:07:39 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Rogerx wrote:
Okay, a little background, so you will understand my needs(or
question).

I had a 5hp rear tine tiller(a darling). I gave it to my son because
I am in my 70's and could not start and handle it any more. I bought
me a small Ryobi tiller(huge mistake). It will start and run for 30
minutes and then quit for the day(repair shops said there was nothing
wrong with it, until after the warranty was out. .you know how the
story goes).

I have a small tractor with a 42" tiller on it for initially
preparing the soil, but after the garden is planted I can't do
anything with it. And I can't use it in my flower beds.

QUESTION: What about an electric tiller, or battery operated one????
Anyone had any experience with them, go or bad. What is the brand
name of some?

Thanks in advance for your help. Rogerx

Hi Bob, me again. I just went down to Home Depot to look at that
Honda Tiller (FG-100a1). They had their display and one left in the
box and were closing them out for $199. Needless to say I bough it
and have been out tilling for the past two hours- It is exactly what
I was looking for. At least 200% better than the Ryobi, and starts so
easy. Thanks for your advice. Rogerx

Old 27-01-2005, 02:53 AM
zxcvbob

wrote:

Rogerx wrote:

[...]

You're welcome. That's a good price; I think I paid close to $300 for
mine. I bought the display model at Home Depot because it was the last
one, but it wasn't marked down yet. If I had waited until the end of
the season it would have probably been gone.

Best regards,
Bob