Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Norma Briggs

Default getting a new garden plot ready

I have read the advice on this wonderful group for the last 3 years and want
to say thanks for all the wonderful posts. I have learned much.

I have gained enough love of gardening and confidence now to expand from my
tiny reserved spot and want to get another space prepared, I understand that
it really may not be ready for edibles until the next growing season or
maybe fall crops.

The space I am using now never had grass on it because of trees which had
over grown on my lot- So I did not have to remove grass, once the tree was
gone there was/had been years of organic matter and the soil was filled with
earth worms. I tilled in some compost and peat moss to loosen things up a
bit, since being on the Gulf Coast of Texas just north of Galveston Island
our soil is like a patch of black concrete if not amended.

I really would like to avoid toxic chemicals if possible, especially being
so close to the bay (maybe 1/2 a mile-if that far) since I know now the
effect round up and fertilizers have on the ecosystem of Galveston bay.

I have considered doing this:
1. setting the lawnmower on stealth mode to cut the grass to the quick.
2. laying a thick layer of card board on top of the former grass
3. putting the grass clippings on top of the cardboard
4. maybe some plastic sheets, anchored down on top of all that and just
going away for a few months to let it all decompose and the rest of the
grass die
5. and because of the ascetics, maybe putting some kind of more attractive
mulch down on top of the plastic.

I could build a raised bed, but from my experience the water drains out of
them faster and since our summers are HOT and often dry (at least till it
floods-not much in between here), I am thinking it might be better to go
down not up.

Also, I have considered buying some of those plastic swimming pools and
drilling holes in the bottom for drainage and using the square foot method
until the grass is dead under the pools next spring, then using that spot.

Does anyone have a better idea or advice? Pros/cons ?

Thanks all!

Norma

Getting Ready For Dinner Daryl S. Kabatoff Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 23-02-2004 02:48 AM
Getting ready for winter in NC Ron Lawrence Ponds 19 05-11-2003 05:42 PM
getting ready to plant bare roots and... dave weil Roses 1 29-05-2003 05:21 AM
getting ready to open REBEL JOE Ponds 3 17-03-2003 11:08 PM
Getting potatoes ready Dwayne Edible Gardening 8 02-03-2003 04:39 PM