Old 05-04-2005, 12:55 PM
leftred

"ge" wrote in message
I've heard rebar before; but, I don't have the picture. Is it like, a
'rebar fence', or a horizontal surface, or ...?

The only rebar I'm familiar with is 4' rods; does it come in some kind
of mesh?

Thanks,
George
snip

I have not tried it, but I saw a suggestion in this group some time ago
which used short lengths of rebar.

The idea was to drive them into the ground vertically, leaving about a foot
or so exposed and then slide a 6' to 8' length of plastic electrical conduit
onto the rebar. The conduit is UV resistant so it will last a long time and
will stay there under its own weight.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Tony

florida weave.
"Georgene" wrote in message

"ge" wrote in message
After an embarassing number of years, we've come to the conclusion
that home-improvement store type tomato cages don't work, at least for
us and indeterminate tomatoes.

Is there some recognized 'good' support? Cost is an issue;
construction (including welding) isn't.

TIA,
George

We have used the rebar and welded it together.
We made our's 6ft tall and 2ft square and put eight cross bars in each
side.
This was our first experience at made a workable tomato cage.
I think a 5ft tall by 2ft square cage would actually be a little better.
But the out come for us has been very good.
It was definitely worth making our own tomato cages.

GC

Old 06-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Loki

il Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:48:15 -0500, GA Pinhead ha scritto:

That is odd, the reply never showed up for me... it sent before I was
done. Oh well.

If you are staking rather than caging, 8-10 foot piece of rebar, for a
stake.

Otherwise the reinforcing wire they use for concrete. Get at least 6
foot tall though. Our tomatoes can go up, down and up again in one
year. As someone else suggested make a couple of prongs on the bottom
and put at least 4 bricks acrosss the bottom wire. Nothing like a six
foot cage of tomato geeting blown over and ripped out by the roots.
(experience)

I suppose wire stays are out of the question? Then beans could grow
up those too.
--
Cheers,

Old 07-04-2005, 02:13 AM
GA Pinhead

Loki wrote:

I suppose wire stays are out of the question? Then beans could grow
up those too.

I'd trip and impale myself or at least put my eye out! The pink eye
purple hulls always find them and take full advantage. And gives they
some shade in the late summer after the late blight and the blister
beetles come through.

John!