Old 13-04-2005, 02:03 AM
Joe

Default short corn

happy spring everyone, every year i attempt at growing corn here in florida,
but it never fails that i have some issue with it. the most common one has
been midget corn stalks. i may just be ignorant and impatient but it just
seems WAY to early for my 4 foot stalks to be attempting to shoot up the
flowers already. i haven't over fertilized (blood meal, bone meal and a
little 10-10-10 here and there) that i know of. do any of you know of a
reason why i am getting this "issue"? i may be just ignorant to the
behavior of corn but it just doesn't seem right to me.

thanks!
Old 13-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Katra

In article ,
Joe wrote:

happy spring everyone, every year i attempt at growing corn here in florida,
but it never fails that i have some issue with it. the most common one has
been midget corn stalks. i may just be ignorant and impatient but it just
seems WAY to early for my 4 foot stalks to be attempting to shoot up the
flowers already. i haven't over fertilized (blood meal, bone meal and a
little 10-10-10 here and there) that i know of. do any of you know of a
reason why i am getting this "issue"? i may be just ignorant to the
behavior of corn but it just doesn't seem right to me.

thanks!

I have the same problem here...
I suspect it is a soil issue.
We are going to try tilling in more sand this year and see if that helps.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 13-04-2005, 04:14 PM

happy spring everyone, every year i attempt at growing corn here in
florida,
but it never fails that i have some issue with it. the most common one
has
been midget corn stalks. i may just be ignorant and impatient but it
just
seems WAY to early for my 4 foot stalks to be attempting to shoot up
the
flowers already. i haven't over fertilized (blood meal, bone meal and
little 10-10-10 here and there) that i know of. do any of you know of
reason why i am getting this "issue"? i may be just ignorant to the
behavior of corn but it just doesn't seem right to me.

What cultivar are you planting. There are a lot of sweet corn cultivars
that are 4 ft at Maturity. Even largers ones like Silver Queen will
start the shooting and tasseling process at 4 -5 ft. Corn is a grass
and needs more nitrogen than most vegetables, so if the stalks seem
yellowish side drees with a high nitogen fertilizer like chicken manure
or 10-10-10.

Mower not cutting grass short enough tonygwyn Lawns 2 27-04-2009 10:08 AM
Short short shoud you keep you bonsais/ Chris C. Grier Bonsai 0 03-08-2004 10:32 AM
Grass that stays short? amjordan Texas 6 17-05-2003 02:56 AM
And You though the Forest Service Was Short of funds! Aozotorp alt.forestry 13 02-04-2003 11:20 PM
a short garden related rant......... madgard Gardening 6 03-02-2003 02:57 AM