Old 28-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Steve Calvin

Anthony W wrote:

Loki wrote:

My motorcycle had instructions for storing that involved removing all
oil and fuel, but since I never stored it I never read it too
thoroughly. And that was a four stroke. Old fuel gets kinda sticky
I've noticed. And a car left in the driveway for a year or two will
rust in place - those brake linings can suuuure stick!

Some motorcycle manuals have some rather lame advice in them. If you
store a bike for the winter, drain the carb but leave the tank full.
This way the tank won't rust out.

Come spring drain the gas into a can and put it in your pickup truck.
Then start the bike with fresh gas..

Tony
former motorcycle mechanic
Owner: OregonMotorcycleParts.com

Never done that with any of my bikes and haven't ever had a problem

--
Steve
Old 29-04-2005, 06:36 AM
Anthony W

Steve Calvin wrote:
Some motorcycle manuals have some rather lame advice in them. If you
store a bike for the winter, drain the carb but leave the tank full.
This way the tank won't rust out.

Come spring drain the gas into a can and put it in your pickup truck.
Then start the bike with fresh gas..

Tony
former motorcycle mechanic
Owner: OregonMotorcycleParts.com

Never done that with any of my bikes and haven't ever had a problem

You probably live in a dryer climate than Oregon... Here an empty steel
gas tank will rust over winter and I’ve seen many half full tanks rust
above the fuel level in storage.

Tony
Old 01-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Loki

il Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:44:24 GMT, Anthony W wrote:

Loki wrote:

My motorcycle had instructions for storing that involved removing all
oil and fuel, but since I never stored it I never read it too
thoroughly. And that was a four stroke. Old fuel gets kinda sticky
I've noticed. And a car left in the driveway for a year or two will
rust in place - those brake linings can suuuure stick!

Some motorcycle manuals have some rather lame advice in them. If you
store a bike for the winter, drain the carb but leave the tank full.
This way the tank won't rust out.

Come spring drain the gas into a can and put it in your pickup truck.
Then start the bike with fresh gas..

Pickup truck?? 'Fraid I drive a 1984 Holden Barina that is going
rusty (lousy paint quality on those years) The old Suzuki is long
gone and sold. Unfortunately. I shoulda stored it for my second
youthhood. sigh

--
Cheers,

Old 01-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Loki

il Fri, 29 Apr 2005 05:36:24 GMT, Anthony W wrote:

Steve Calvin wrote:
Some motorcycle manuals have some rather lame advice in them. If you
store a bike for the winter, drain the carb but leave the tank full.
This way the tank won't rust out.

Come spring drain the gas into a can and put it in your pickup truck.
Then start the bike with fresh gas..

Tony
former motorcycle mechanic
Owner: OregonMotorcycleParts.com

Never done that with any of my bikes and haven't ever had a problem

You probably live in a dryer climate than Oregon... Here an empty steel
gas tank will rust over winter and I’ve seen many half full tanks rust
above the fuel level in storage.

Not to mention an empty fuel tank can be more dangerous than a full
one (fumes). But the rate our prices are going up, I may just store
petrol at the bank!
--
Cheers,

Old 01-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Anthony W

Loki wrote:

You probably live in a dryer climate than Oregon... Here an empty steel
gas tank will rust over winter and I’ve seen many half full tanks rust
above the fuel level in storage.

Not to mention an empty fuel tank can be more dangerous than a full
one (fumes). But the rate our prices are going up, I may just store
petrol at the bank!

No fooling. I'm fortunate (or not) to have a ford V8 truck that will
eat most any gas that I put in it. I've used it to dispose of all sorts
of less than fresh gas (mixed 1/3 with 2/3 fresh.)

I won't run my 1100 Yamaha on gas more than a month old. If I don't
ride it over the winter, its gas goes into the Ford.

Another way to go would be to drain the entire fuel system then put a
few ounces of 2 stroke oil in the tank and throughly splash it around to
protect the tank from rusting. My tiller and boat motor have plastic
fuel tanks so I just store them dry.

Tony

Old 02-05-2005, 02:38 AM
Steve Calvin

Anthony W wrote:
Steve Calvin wrote:

Some motorcycle manuals have some rather lame advice in them. If you
store a bike for the winter, drain the carb but leave the tank full.
This way the tank won't rust out.

Come spring drain the gas into a can and put it in your pickup truck.
Then start the bike with fresh gas..

Tony
former motorcycle mechanic
Owner: OregonMotorcycleParts.com

Never done that with any of my bikes and haven't ever had a problem

You probably live in a dryer climate than Oregon... Here an empty steel
gas tank will rust over winter and I’ve seen many half full tanks rust
above the fuel level in storage.

Tony

Nope. I live in New York in the Mid-Hudson Valley. Dry? *Far* from it.
When I was getting ready to put the bike or Vettes to "sleep" for the
winter I'd always run the tank to at least 1/4, then add stabil and fill
up with the highest octane I could find and run it long enough to make
sure that the carb/lines were full of the stabilized gas. Put 'em away
on a Battery Tender Plus and that was it until I took 'em outta
mothballs in the Spring.

I do the same thing with all of my equipment. Full tank and stabilized
fuel for storage and forget about them. No problems with any of 'em.

--
Steve
Old 04-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Sylvan Butler

On Sun, 01 May 2005 21:38:59 -0400, Steve Calvin wrote:
I do the same thing with all of my equipment. Full tank and stabilized
fuel for storage and forget about them. No problems with any of 'em.

Yup.

I always use stabil in the 2-cycle mix.

I keep at least two cans of gas on hand for four cycle engines. One can
is normally fresh and used for equipment where I expect to refuel in
less than a month. The other is always stabilized, and it is used to
fuel rarely used equipment (generator, chipper, ...). In the fall I
usually put stabil into both so that all the equipment has stabilized
fuel thru-out, in case I don't use it again until spring.

Works great. No problems since I started doing this (10 years ago?).

Oh, and I'm in a very dry climate. (SW Idaho, ~ 12in annual precip
which comes mostly october to april).

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com