Old 15-06-2005, 03:01 AM
Boboed

Default Suggestions needed for hot weather green for juicing

I've been juicing lettuce and spinach this year as it's much
easier than growing the wheatgrass I do in the winter. Now that it's
getting hot I figure the lettuce won't last much longer. I've never
grown it for salads during hot weather anyway. What's a green that
grows pretty well in hot weather? Good tasting is nice but it's almost
bound to be better than wheatgrass whatever it is.

Old 15-06-2005, 03:54 AM
simy1

boy, juicing spinach, with all that acidity, must not be fun. Chard has
similar amounts of oxalic acid. Why not try pea shoots? They grow all
seasons. I plant them whenever I have a bed free for a month. Buy the
peas for sprouting, not the expensive ones. You can jucie them until
they are 10 inches tall. Hoe them under after five weeks. If you want
fast growing and very spicy, mustard is a tremendous weed. Beet greens
are a possibility, though they will not be available immediately. They
might be amongst the best tasting. Kale tastes mild enough that I would
try that too. And if you like bitter, chicory takes off really fast
right now. if you are already picking carrots, their greens are a
possibility (a bit sharp).

I only juice the collard stems in the winter, and that only thoroughly
mixed with apples, celery, carrots or beets. Right now watermelon is
the best juice.

Old 15-06-2005, 04:16 AM
zxcvbob

Boboed wrote:
I've been juicing lettuce and spinach this year as it's much
easier than growing the wheatgrass I do in the winter. Now that it's
getting hot I figure the lettuce won't last much longer. I've never
grown it for salads during hot weather anyway. What's a green that
grows pretty well in hot weather? Good tasting is nice but it's almost
bound to be better than wheatgrass whatever it is.

"Malabar spinach", swiss chard, edible chrysanthemum, rat tail radish,
alfalfa, dandelions. I wonder how corn leaves would work?

Bob
Old 15-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Katra

In article ,
Boboed wrote:

I've been juicing lettuce and spinach this year as it's much
easier than growing the wheatgrass I do in the winter. Now that it's
getting hot I figure the lettuce won't last much longer. I've never
grown it for salads during hot weather anyway. What's a green that
grows pretty well in hot weather? Good tasting is nice but it's almost
bound to be better than wheatgrass whatever it is.

Chard.

Grows all year, in any weather.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 18-06-2005, 03:32 AM
gonzo

Some lettuce varieties will do ok in heat; red sails is one variety I
know of. Mustard produces a lot of green in a short time.

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Jalapenos don't get hot if weather is not hot? Ook Gardening 2 27-08-2007 05:12 AM