Old 13-07-2005, 08:00 PM
TEX-EX

Default Spineless edible cactus?

I was reading online about a variety of edible cactus (Opuntia
ficus-indica, cultivar 1308) that is spineless. It was developed at
Texas A&M University @ Kingsville, or so I read.

Anyone know where (or if) this type can be purchased? Alternatively,
know of any other edible cacti that are totally spineless (including
glochids)?

Thanks,

Jarrad

Old 13-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Katra

In article . com,
"TEX-EX" wrote:

I was reading online about a variety of edible cactus (Opuntia
ficus-indica, cultivar 1308) that is spineless. It was developed at
Texas A&M University @ Kingsville, or so I read.

Anyone know where (or if) this type can be purchased? Alternatively,
know of any other edible cacti that are totally spineless (including
glochids)?

Thanks,

Jarrad

The nursery "It's About Thyme" in Austin has them, and I have one
growing here. :-)

I could callus off a couple of pads for you if you want to try cutting
propagation.

It's basically a spineless prickly pear.

Cheers!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 14-07-2005, 06:56 PM
TEX-EX

Katra,

If you have "pads to spare", that would be nice (I would gladly pay for
shipping) -- but I am up here in Iowa. Oddly enough, I am from Austin;
so I always have the option of trying to pick one up at "It's About
Thyme" when I am down for a visit.

Have you tried / had success from cuttings with Opuntia? I only have
tried with hot peppers, which eventually root with some TLC indoors.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jarrad

Old 14-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Katra

In article . com,
"TEX-EX" wrote:

Katra,

If you have "pads to spare", that would be nice (I would gladly pay for
shipping) -- but I am up here in Iowa. Oddly enough, I am from Austin;
so I always have the option of trying to pick one up at "It's About
Thyme" when I am down for a visit.

Shipping a couple of callused pads would not be a problem. :-)
I have mailed callused T. pachanoi to England and it not only survived,
it's thriving.....

Have you tried / had success from cuttings with Opuntia? I only have
tried with hot peppers, which eventually root with some TLC indoors.

Propagating fleshy cacti from pads/cuttings is much easier than
propagating woody perennials! I'll dunk the base in rooting compound
and anti-fungal powder before laying it aside for the wound to dry and
callus for a week. That is how I treat my Trichocereus, and yes, I have
propagated prickly pears from pads. It usually works out pretty well! I
can pull 2 or 3 medium sized pads for you. My plant is not very large
yet but it has created a lot of new pads this year. It's in a pot and I
should probably move it to a larger one.

While this particular species is new to me, I HAVE propagated regular
spiny prickly pear from pads. It's QED. I have also done numerous
cuttings with a 100% survival rate of Trichocereus sp.

Let me know what you think.

$4.15 would cover the priority shipping plus paypal fees, or $3.85 if
you want to send an MO or check. E-mail me at katra at centurytel dot
net for addresses. :-)

Once I cut the pads, they should callus for at least 2 weeks prior to
planting. A good cactus mix is 1/3 miracle grow potting mix, 1/3
limestone sand and 1/3 pearlite. That is also the mix I've used to grow
cactus from seed.
-

Thanks,

Jarrad

Old 14-07-2005, 08:54 PM
TEX-EX

Katra,

Sounds great. I will try to do something (paypal or email and "cut a
check") tommorrow.

Jarrad

Old 15-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Katra

In article .com,
"TEX-EX" wrote:

Katra,

Sounds great. I will try to do something (paypal or email and "cut a
check") tommorrow.

Jarrad

Got your e-mail, will go cut pads here shortly. :-)

Cheers!
Kat
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain