Old 14-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Chris Smolinski

Default Concord Grape disease?

I seem to have some disease (or lack of nutrients?) on my concord
grapes. The fruit, which is not yet ripe, is getting dark spots and
areas on it. I had this same problem last year, I thought maybe it was
due to the heavy rains we had.

Figuring a picture is worth a thousand words, I took a photo of some of
the fruit: http://www.blackcatsystems.com/concordgrapes.jpg

Maybe someone can identify what the problem is, and what some solutions
might be? I was looking forward to making some grape juice this year :-(

--
---
Chris Smolinski

Old 14-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Dwayne

Did you spray them with a fungacide? I used to live in Arkansas and had to
spray them with Captain (pronounced Cap-tane) every spring. That is about
the only problem we ever had with grapes. No bug problem.

Dwayne

Old 14-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Chris Smolinski

No, I didn't. Perhaps I will have to consider it for next year, I
suspect it is too late this season.

Old 15-07-2005, 03:19 AM
Dwayne

You might try it if you have any left. Check out dthe information sheet
abougt how long before harvest you should stop using the product. I always
did it early enough to not have to worry about it.

Dwayne

"Dwayne" wrote:

Did you spray them with a fungacide? I used to live in Arkansas and had
spray them with Captain (pronounced Cap-tane) every spring. That is
about
the only problem we ever had with grapes. No bug problem.

Dwayne

"Chris Smolinski" wrote in message
I seem to have some disease (or lack of nutrients?) on my concord
grapes. The fruit, which is not yet ripe, is getting dark spots and
areas on it. I had this same problem last year, I thought maybe it was
due to the heavy rains we had.

Figuring a picture is worth a thousand words, I took a photo of some of
the fruit: http://www.blackcatsystems.com/concordgrapes.jpg

Maybe someone can identify what the problem is, and what some solutions
might be? I was looking forward to making some grape juice this year
:-(

--
---
Chris Smolinski

Old 17-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Peggy O'Grady

I have a Niagra grape vine in my yard. This year, the leaves seem to be in
the state of suspended animation - no growth. The grapes are developing,
but there has been little leaf growth and no new vine growth. Maybe it's
just an off year for grapes.

Old 18-07-2005, 03:29 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:45:03 -0400, Peggy O'Grady wrote:

[...]

My concord grape vines have the same disease. I have a lot of stunted
discolored berries. I tried fungicide last year, didn't help but I only
sprayed once at the beginning of the season. Frankly it seems like a
lose-lose proposition. I suppose that it might be possible to get grapes
if I were to spray them repeatedly but I even if that worked who wants to
eat fungicide covered grapes.
Old 18-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Dwayne

The fungicide spraying takes place before the grapes come on, so you don't
have to worry about it if done right. Grapes require 3 inches of water per
week while fruiting. Are yours getting that much? I went to my extension
office and gathered all the information I could. If you cant find anything
at yours, get on the internet and type in "growing grapes". Check out the
items that come up that are from your local colleges. That should put you
on the right track.

Dwayne

news

Old 18-07-2005, 02:28 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:40:30 -0500, Dwayne wrote:

[...]

It's been a very wet year so I assume that they are getting enough water.