Old 14-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Dave

Default Bird Netting

Last year the birds pecked the heck out of my berries, so this year I
have netting on my thornless blackberries. How much of a struggle is
this going to be? It was a pain to get it unrolled and into position,
and now I wonder how often I need to check it for entangled birds and
critters? It is 0.8 inch black square mesh.

Thanks

Old 14-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Puckdropper

"Dave" wrote in news:1121361391.758428.210080
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Last year the birds pecked the heck out of my berries, so this year I
have netting on my thornless blackberries. How much of a struggle is
this going to be? It was a pain to get it unrolled and into position,
and now I wonder how often I need to check it for entangled birds and
critters? It is 0.8 inch black square mesh.

Thanks

My mother always covered her strawberries with a net. She'd anchor the
netting with gallon water jugs, which made pulling the netting off and
putting it back on quite easy. She also used a fine mesh (like a window
screen) rather than something as large as you're describing.

I'm not sure how big blackberry plants get, but I hope this gives you a
few ideas to make things easier.

Puckdropper

--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Old 16-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Steve

Puckdropper wrote:
My mother always covered her strawberries with a net. She'd anchor the
netting with gallon water jugs, which made pulling the netting off and
putting it back on quite easy. She also used a fine mesh (like a window
screen) rather than something as large as you're describing.

I always just used bricks.

Fine mesh would be nice. Plants parts wouldn't poke through and get
tangled and it would be much easier to free trapped birds. With the
larger mesh I used, they seemed to always manage to get their head and
one wing through the hole. Sometimes I couldn't free them without
snipping at least one strand to enlarge the hole.

Steve
Old 16-07-2005, 12:44 AM
TQ

"Steve" wrote in message
Puckdropper wrote:
My mother always covered her strawberries with a net. She'd anchor the
netting with gallon water jugs, which made pulling the netting off and
putting it back on quite easy. She also used a fine mesh (like a window
screen) rather than something as large as you're describing.

I always just used bricks.

Fine mesh would be nice. Plants parts wouldn't poke through and get
tangled and it would be much easier to free trapped birds. With the
larger mesh I used, they seemed to always manage to get their head and
one wing through the hole. Sometimes I couldn't free them without
snipping at least one strand to enlarge the hole.

The past several years I've been covering by strawberry bed with a double
layer of cotton toole. I buy the toole by the bolt in the fall (after the
wedding season when it's half-price) at a fabric store. It keeps the birds
out and limits the damage from squirrels.

The bed has a border made from pine logs cut from my woodlot. The toole is
tacked down along one side with lathe and anchored on the other side with
oak or maple poles.

Old 18-07-2005, 12:09 AM
John Savage

"Dave" writes:
Last year the birds pecked the heck out of my berries, so this year I
have netting on my thornless blackberries. How much of a struggle is
this going to be? It was a pain to get it unrolled and into position,
and now I wonder how often I need to check it for entangled birds and
critters? It is 0.8 inch black square mesh.

Surely the neighbourhood cats will do all necessary untangling?

How do you put on bird netting over fruit trees? James Edible Gardening 23 17-06-2011 05:32 PM
How do you put on bird netting over fruit trees? Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 1 27-06-2007 06:05 PM
Anti-Bird Netting Ken Russell Ponds 5 08-02-2004 07:26 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
Light colored bird netting ?? Perk Gardening 0 06-06-2003 06:08 AM