Old 17-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Jag Man

Default What's wrong with this tomato?

One of my bushes is producing fruit like this:

http://sowell.ecs.fullerton.edu/othe...atoProblem.JPG

What's causing this? Will it spread to other plants?

TIA

Old 17-07-2005, 07:40 PM
shazzbat

"Jag Man" wrote in message
.. .
One of my bushes is producing fruit like this:

http://sowell.ecs.fullerton.edu/othe...atoProblem.JPG

What's causing this? Will it spread to other plants?

It's called Blossom end rot. It's caused by the soil drying out esp. as the
fruit is forming. There is no treatment, that fruit is toast, but if you
keep the compost moist the rest should be OK. Probably a good idea to remove
any like that and the plant will put it's energies into the remaining/yet to
come fruits.

Steve

Old 17-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Guess Who!

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:30:42 GMT, "Jag Man"
wrote:

One of my bushes is producing fruit like this:

http://sowell.ecs.fullerton.edu/othe...atoProblem.JPG

What's causing this? Will it spread to other plants?

TIA

Maybe, Low magnesium, epson salt may help.
Old 17-07-2005, 07:57 PM
RR

"Jag Man" wrote:

One of my bushes is producing fruit like this:

http://sowell.ecs.fullerton.edu/othe...atoProblem.JPG

What's causing this? Will it spread to other plants?

TIA

Every gardener experiences this at one time or another.
Don't worry. It's called blossom end rot and may have several causes.
Check out: http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/horticulture/nf43.htm

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º17'15" North
80º13'32" West
To email, remove the obvious from my address.
Old 18-07-2005, 04:55 AM
Steve

wrote:

One of my bushes is producing fruit like this:

http://sowell.ecs.fullerton.edu/othe...atoProblem.JPG

What's causing this? Will it spread to other plants?

TIA

Maybe, Low magnesium, epson salt may help.

No, blossom end rot has to do with calcium. I believe calcium can be
added, but keeping the soil evenly moist usually prevents the the
developing fruits from having the deficiency in the first place.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Old 18-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Guess Who!

wrote:

One of my bushes is producing fruit like this:

http://sowell.ecs.fullerton.edu/othe...atoProblem.JPG

What's causing this? Will it spread to other plants?

TIA

Maybe, Low magnesium, epson salt may help.

No, blossom end rot has to do with calcium. I believe calcium can be
added, but keeping the soil evenly moist usually prevents the the
developing fruits from having the deficiency in the first place.

Steve in the Adirondacks

How Right you are, my mistake!

Old 18-07-2005, 03:36 PM
DigitalVinyl

"shazzbat" wrote:

"Jag Man" wrote in message
. ..
One of my bushes is producing fruit like this:

http://sowell.ecs.fullerton.edu/othe...atoProblem.JPG

What's causing this? Will it spread to other plants?

It's called Blossom end rot. It's caused by the soil drying out esp. as the
fruit is forming. There is no treatment, that fruit is toast, but if you
keep the compost moist the rest should be OK. Probably a good idea to remove
any like that and the plant will put it's energies into the remaining/yet to
come fruits.

Steve

My understanding is there is nothing wrong with the tomato, just cut
off the bad end. Also it has been said that you'll see it with the
stress of first fruit, then it goes away.

If true lack of calcium in the soil is the problem BER foliar sprays
exists to immediately benefit the plant and adding calcium (eggshells)
should raise the calcium level in the soil. However, it is usually a
water issue. Too dry and too wet. Too dry means the leaves aren't
bringing nutrients up to the tomatoes. Too wet and the leaves are so
busy perspiring moisture that the nutrients fast track to the leaves
and deprive the fruit. Other problems can also cause it and other
problems, but are less likely, like a bad ph or other deficiency that
screws with the chemical reactions that the plant relies on to live.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph
Old 18-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Jag Man

Thanks to all who responnded. I have the plants on a drip system in a
space about 5 feet
wide between the lawn and a block wall. The affected pllant is next to
the wall, farthest
from the lawn, so it could be it's not getting enough water. I'll give
it an extra dripper.

Ed

Old 18-07-2005, 10:53 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Jag Man" wrote:

Thanks to all who responnded. I have the plants on a drip system in a
space about 5 feet
wide between the lawn and a block wall. The affected pllant is next to
the wall, farthest
from the lawn, so it could be it's not getting enough water. I'll give
it an extra dripper.

The wall, especially if it faces south could be absorbing a lot of
heat and keeping temperatures higher. I've got a stone patio that
really heats up during sunny days. That would put greater heat stress
on the ones closest to the wall.

I've got a big overhang on the house and it can pour cats and dogs but
the plants against the house barely get any rain. Even during wet
months I have to hose them.

Old 23-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Repeating Rifle

On 7/17/05 11:30 AM, in article ,
"Jag Man" wrote:

One of my bushes is producing fruit like this:

http://sowell.ecs.fullerton.edu/othe...atoProblem.JPG

What's causing this? Will it spread to other plants?

TIA

I have some problems like that too. It is called blossom end rot. I have
found that once the bad part of the tomato has been removed, the remainder
can be very tasty.

Supposedly, it is caused by insufficient calcium. I grow my tomatoes
hydroponicly. The nutrient supplier suggests adding calcium as calcium
nitrate as well as magnesium in the form of Epsom salt also known as
magnesium sulfate.

Bill