Old 15-04-2004, 05:32 PM
John Smith

Default what is wrong with this tomato plant?

I have some young tomato plants, F1 Shirley variety, and they are
about 6 inches in height. I have a photo of what looks like a disease
on some of the leaves:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simplicool/tomatoleaf.jpg

Any ideas?
Old 15-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Shirley, you should tell us where you are on the planet.

If you are like most newbie gardeners in a big hurry to plant your garden
before your neighbors, you probably planted them out far too early and they
got zapped by freezing night temperatures.

Find out when the last frost date is for your area before planting out
tender veggies otherwise you are taking a serious gamble they won't get
killed off by another unusually cold day.

om...

Old 15-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Ken

They look sun burnt. Did you adequately harden them prior to sticking them
out in the sun??

om...

Old 15-04-2004, 09:03 PM
David Hill

"......... have some young tomato plants, F1 Shirley variety, and they are
about 6 inches in height. I have a photo of what looks like a disease on
some of the leaves:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simplicool/tomatoleaf.jpg ........."

If they had suffered from cold then the leaves would have turned a blue
green, Sunburn would cause tip burn if they were short of water at the same
time.The clorosis that they are showing could be caused by a mineral
deficiency, but at only 6 inches I would doubt that. root problems such as
waterlogging can give the same look, but I wonder looking at the marks on
the tip and the piece turned back if they could have mildew.
Also check on the back of the leaves for red spider and very fine webs that
they make.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 15-04-2004, 09:04 PM
escapee

Your plant looks chlorotic and in need of nitrogen and iron. I would find a
store which wells fish emulsion and chelated iron and use it to water your
plants. Check photo's of early leaf blight and see if it's what your plants
look like.

On 15 Apr 2004 09:22:49 -0700, (John
Smith) opined:

Old 15-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Olushola

They look sun burnt. Did you adequately harden them prior to sticking

them
out in the sun??

Is hardening really necessary, or is this only necessary if you plan to
plant when frost is possible? I know a lot of people that just put the seed
in the ground and used good maintenance. They had beautiful crops.

Olushola

Old 16-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Kenneth H.

Plants that are grown inside will become sun burned if placed outside. You
must break them in by gradually increasing the sun every day. As far as
plants grown exclusively outdoors, this is not necessary.

These look sun burnt to me.

Old 17-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Beecrofter

"Olushola" wrote in message ...
They look sun burnt. Did you adequately harden them prior to sticking

them
out in the sun??

Is hardening really necessary, or is this only necessary if you plan to
plant when frost is possible? I know a lot of people that just put the seed
in the ground and used good maintenance. They had beautiful crops.

Olushola

Plants build up a waxy coating called "cutin" when exposed to UV light
which acts as a sunscreen.
Plants grown indoors have to be hardened off in order to develop some
of this cutin or the sun will fry them.
Old 17-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Olushola

" Is hardening really necessary, or is this only necessary if you plan to
plant when frost is possible? I know a lot of people that just put the

seed
in the ground and used good maintenance. They had beautiful crops.

Olushola

Plants build up a waxy coating called "cutin" when exposed to UV light
which acts as a sunscreen.
Plants grown indoors have to be hardened off in order to develop some
of this cutin or the sun will fry them.

Thanks, now I understand.