Old 19-07-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Zuchinni leaves

Can some of the huge leaves be cut off of zuchinni plants?
Old 19-07-2005, 11:56 PM
TQ

wrote in message
Can some of the huge leaves be cut off of zuchinni plants?

The only time I cut the leaves off is when the lower ones turn yellow.

Old 21-07-2005, 09:03 PM

Years ago a friend at work gave me a huge Zuchinni. I put it in the
trunk of my car and forgot about it. It began to smell and I never
got the smell out.

Ironically, I sold the car to this friend's neighbor's daughter. It
had the smell in the trunk and he never did find out what caused it.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:59:29 -0800, Jan Flora
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Can some of the huge leaves be cut off of zuchinni plants?

Probably. Give it a try and let us know.

If my zucchini in the greenhouse gets any bigger, I'll let you
know what happens when you prune leaves... I think zucchini plants
are probably pretty hard to kill.

My neighbors are starting to lock their car doors, so I can't leave
baskets of zucchini in their cars when they aren't looking.

Jan, in Alaska

Old 27-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Ottawa

my zuchini plan is dying already after only producing about 4 zuchinnies,
not including the 3 that got sun scorched and died earlier in teh season
when I ask my friend ot water while I was away. Anyhow, all leaves are
yellowing and wilting. Help, is this normal and should it die this soon?

Old 31-07-2005, 02:17 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Ottawa" wrote:

my zuchini plan is dying already after only producing about 4 zuchinnies,
not including the 3 that got sun scorched and died earlier in teh season
when I ask my friend ot water while I was away. Anyhow, all leaves are
yellowing and wilting. Help, is this normal and should it die this soon?

wrote in message
.. .
Can some of the huge leaves be cut off of zuchinni plants?

If ALL of the leaves are yellow and wilting the plant may be sick.
There are squash borers that eat into a stem and can kill the whole
plant off from that point. I lost two yellow squash plants to them
already. The die off can be sudden. Try burying the stem and see if it
will take root along the stem and come back for later in the season.

I haven't been getting much zucchini either, 4-5 so far. And I've got
three plants. But most of the leaves are nice, big, firm and green.
Older leaves and small ones hidden underneath yellow. Some always turn
gray and crumble in to powder-bone dry. I think the unusual extended
heat we've had is an issue. I know I got zucchini all through
september last year so there is time here. Maybe zucc's like late
summer better than the high-of-summer. I certaily have had a lot of
flowers, and I can see bees in the garden everyday I'm out there.
Maybe it is just producing lots of male flowers.

I do have mildew (probably powdery) on the big leaves, but I always
see some of that on the large leafed squashes. I was going to treat it
with a weak milk and baking soda solution to see if that helps any.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

Zuchinni Size two dogs Edible Gardening 24 08-10-2004 12:14 AM
Zuchinni Size two dogs Edible Gardening 0 30-08-2004 01:32 AM
baseball bat zuchinni rosie readandpost Edible Gardening 14 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
Zuchinni problem Mel Edible Gardening 6 12-07-2003 01:44 AM
Zuchinni problem rile Edible Gardening 1 17-05-2003 06:32 PM