Old 30-08-2004, 01:32 AM
two dogs

Default Zuchinni Size

I thought my zuchini were done for the season and hadn't check my vines till
yesterday and found a four pounder on the vine. Being a rookie, I've been
told they get bitter when they get too big. It has good dark green color.
Any Thought out there?

--
Mike & Cheryl Tindall

Old 30-08-2004, 04:03 AM
TQ

"two dogs" wrote in message
| I thought my zuchini were done for the season and hadn't check my vines
till
| yesterday and found a four pounder on the vine. Being a rookie, I've been
| told they get bitter when they get too big. It has good dark green color.
| Any Thought out there?
|
| --
| Mike & Cheryl Tindall

Time to make some bread.

--
TQ

Old 30-08-2004, 04:03 AM
TQ

"two dogs" wrote in message
| I thought my zuchini were done for the season and hadn't check my vines
till
| yesterday and found a four pounder on the vine. Being a rookie, I've been
| told they get bitter when they get too big. It has good dark green color.
| Any Thought out there?
|
| --
| Mike & Cheryl Tindall

Time to make some bread.

--
TQ

Old 30-08-2004, 02:18 PM
simy1

"two dogs" wrote in message ...
I thought my zuchini were done for the season and hadn't check my vines till
yesterday and found a four pounder on the vine. Being a rookie, I've been
told they get bitter when they get too big. It has good dark green color.
Any Thought out there?

If you have a dehydrator, make dried zucchini chips (unflavored or
flavored). I was away one week myself, the neighbors kept picking
tomatoes and cucumbers, but no one of them likes zucchini, so I have
four of those myself right now.

Old 30-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Glenna Rose

ToweringQs.AT.adelphia.net writes:

"two dogs" wrote in message
| I thought my zuchini were done for the season and hadn't check my vines
till
| yesterday and found a four pounder on the vine. Being a rookie, I've
been
| told they get bitter when they get too big. It has good dark green
color.
| Any Thought out there?
|
| --
| Mike & Cheryl Tindall

Time to make some bread.

Or slice and dehydrate them as suggested last year. I tried it; they are
good that way! (And I don't generally like zuchinni

Glenna

Old 31-08-2004, 01:32 AM
The Guy

In article ,
"TQ" ToweringQs AT adelphia.net wrote:

"two dogs" wrote in message
| I thought my zuchini were done for the season and hadn't check my vines
till
| yesterday and found a four pounder on the vine. Being a rookie, I've been
| told they get bitter when they get too big. It has good dark green color.
| Any Thought out there?
|
| --
| Mike & Cheryl Tindall

Time to make some bread.

or zuchini soup, delicious stuff.

--
SteveO
Old 31-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Dwayne

Ask someone for the cinnimon pickle recipe for cukes that are too big for
anything else.

Dwayne

news:fc.003d094101d2675c3b9aca0031e06441.1d26765@p mug.org...

Old 01-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:32:01 -0500, "two dogs"
wrote:

I thought my zuchini were done for the season and hadn't check my vines till
yesterday and found a four pounder on the vine. Being a rookie, I've been
told they get bitter when they get too big. It has good dark green color.
Any Thought out there?

Stuff. There are about 10,000 recipes on the web.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:22 PM
DigitalVinyl

"two dogs" wrote:

I thought my zuchini were done for the season and hadn't check my vines till
yesterday and found a four pounder on the vine. Being a rookie, I've been
told they get bitter when they get too big. It has good dark green color.
Any Thought out there?

I've had 2.5 pounders all season and no one complained about the
quality. I kept asking and everyone agreed they were good.
Four pounds is a bit bigger, but you'll only know if you taste. ANd
as people suggest some recipes are forgiving. Grilled, chopped,
stuffed zucchini, zuchiini pie.

I recently shredded about a 1/2+ pound, salted, it, left it to dry out
and used it in meatloaf. I like a lot of veggies in my meatloaf. I
mixed it in with diced peppers, finely chopped onion, garlic. I use a
mixture of spices, vinegar, worcheshire and diced can tomatoes as a
topping.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

Old 03-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Jim Carlock

How do you tell a zuchinni plant from a cucumber plant?
Do you have to wait for the fruit to grow? It is a fruit,
right? Not a vegetable?

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

Old 03-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Denise Bachman

Oooh, yummy, stuffed baked zucchini! Look for a recipe on recipes.com. Also
my English neighbour always takes my giants for a relish she makes. Then you
can grate them and make zucchini cake and zucchini bread, like carrot cake.
also yummy. They make great filler in meat loaves and you can always just
cut into sticks, batter and fry. And at our local Salt Spring Island Fall
Fair, we put wheels on them and race them down the ramp in the "Zucchini
500"

Denise

Old 03-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:40:15 -0700, "Denise Bachman"
wrote:

at our local Salt Spring Island Fall
Fair, we put wheels on them and race them down the ramp in the "Zucchini
500

LOL literally! Sure would like to see some pictures of this. Does your
festival have a web page?
Old 28-09-2004, 12:34 AM
John Savage

"Jim Carlock" writes:
How do you tell a zuchinni plant from a cucumber plant?
Do you have to wait for the fruit to grow?

You can tell at an early stage. The zuchinni is a much sturdier
plant, with thick stems and leaves larger than an A4 sheet of paper,
and flowers opening to about the size of man's fist. The cucumber is
a more delicate plant, with leaves smaller than a cigarette packet
and flowers no larger than the size of a man's thumbnail. The cuc is
a spreading creeper, while most of the newer zuchinnis are clumping.

Old 28-09-2004, 03:38 AM
Jim Carlock

The cucumber plants I have, have leaves about 5" x 5". The
flowers on it are about 1" to 1.25" in diameter. The first
cucumber was very good. This plant is a Marketmore 76
and is doing quite well. A lot of cucumbers are trying to
grow upon it, it's had about dozen fruits start, but only
one cucumber made it through the summer. It's got three
more young cucumbers starting on it and it looks like it
likes the liquid fertilization I'm giving to it... a 1-2-1 type
where I put a tablespoon into a 2-gallon container of
water. It seems to love getting that a few times a week.
It is growing up a chain link fence and the vine is about
6 or 7 feet in length currently. The hurricanes have taken
a toll on it and it's lost most of it's lower leaves. It seems
to definitely like a moist soil, ie watering at least two, but
seeming to prefer three times a day.

The size of the leaves contadicts what you've stated. I
did plant a zuchini but it didn't make it through Hurricane
Frances. The other cucumber plants I have, a extra long
yamato (Ferry Morse) never fruited. I had two of those
growing side by side, but neither fruited and one died.

The yamato were planted in well fertilized soil outdoors,
while the Marketmore 76 were planted in sandy soil. I
applied some slow release fertilization at the time of
seeding.

The cucumbers seem to like sunlight as long as the temp
isn't too hot.

The Marketmore 76 cucumbers start off growing with
prickly nubbies on it and I wonder what's up with
the nubbies. :-) They seem to rub off and I'm thinking
along the lines that over time, only the nubbie cukes
survived the insects (?).

Also, I noticed something likes to burrow into them
when they reach ripeness. I need to find some more
information about cukes and start reading up on
them again.

Thanks, John for your comments. It's been awhile since
I've posted this and didn't think anyone ever replied. I'll
have to look over google for the replies.

--

"John Savage" wrote:
"Jim Carlock" writes:
How do you tell a zuchinni plant from a cucumber plant?
Do you have to wait for the fruit to grow?

You can tell at an early stage. The zuchinni is a much sturdier
plant, with thick stems and leaves larger than an A4 sheet of paper,
and flowers opening to about the size of man's fist. The cucumber is
a more delicate plant, with leaves smaller than a cigarette packet
and flowers no larger than the size of a man's thumbnail. The cuc is
a spreading creeper, while most of the newer zuchinnis are clumping.

Reactor size VS Tank Size? chaz Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 18-05-2006 02:33 PM
Zuchinni Size two dogs Edible Gardening 0 30-08-2004 01:32 AM
baseball bat zuchinni rosie readandpost Edible Gardening 14 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
Zuchinni problem Mel Edible Gardening 6 12-07-2003 01:44 AM
Zuchinni problem rile Edible Gardening 1 17-05-2003 06:32 PM