Old 29-12-2005, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Logic316

Default Combining aquariums with homebrewing

I wonder if anybody here ever tried using yeast and sugar to generate
carbon dioxide for plants. I'm a homebrewer and whenever I make beer or
wine, the airlocks on the fermenters bubble like crazy with CO2. There
has to be some use for that. I figure it would be a simple matter to
just connect a plastic hose from a wine/beer fermenter to an aquarium to
give plants a healthy boost. This is definitely an opportunity to
combine 2 of the world's coolest hobbies, or could alcohol fumes pose a
problem for fish?

- Logic316

"A diplomat thinks twice before saying nothing."
Old 30-12-2005, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Justin

Hi,

you could use the CO2 in that way, as long as your KH is ok and there isn't
heaps of co2 coming out. I would also add a bubble counter between the
alcohol making eqp and the tank. The water in the bubble counter will reduce
any nasties in the CO2.

DIY CO2 is exactly the same thing as I think your doing. Combining yeast and
sugar which produces alcohol and co2 as a by-product.

Justin

Old 05-01-2006, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Shady

The aromatic by products of fermenting wort with hops in it might add
stuff to your water you don't want. Wine might have other by products
in the gases too, dunno. That is why the DIY method, which uses just
sugar, yeast and baking soda, works. You could possibly put a carbon
canister in line to filter out this stuff though.

Old 15-01-2006, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Logic316 wrote:
I wonder if anybody here ever tried using yeast and sugar to generate
carbon dioxide for plants. I'm a homebrewer and whenever I make beer or
wine, the airlocks on the fermenters bubble like crazy with CO2. There
has to be some use for that. I figure it would be a simple matter to
just connect a plastic hose from a wine/beer fermenter to an aquarium to
give plants a healthy boost. This is definitely an opportunity to
combine 2 of the world's coolest hobbies, or could alcohol fumes pose a
problem for fish?

Hey it's 1989 all over again.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Combining fertilizers Frank Gardening 3 29-04-2008 07:50 PM
New to Planted Aquariums Sara Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Plants for brackish/hardwater aquariums? Jack Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 18-04-2003 02:44 AM
New to Planted Aquariums Sara Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 19-03-2003 10:44 PM
Combining Roses with climbing vines Huskies4all Roses 9 18-02-2003 07:15 PM