Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-01-2006, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Daniel Morrow

Default (Koi-lo) - more vortex DE filter discussion...

Mid posted.
Steve Michie wrote:
Hey Koi-lo - u got any more suggestions for me ??

I pulled the D1 apart today - and was disappointed to NOT find any
holes or split seams in the bag.

The plastic neck was still fully inserted into the motor/pump recess.

The DE was filthy - all shades of bright green... as u would expect
- so it seems to be doing its job - but just not to the point of
making my water CRYSTAL clear... Hmm....

Has anyone checked the flow rate of the D1 - ?

The flow rate of the d1 is 150 gallons per hour and is supposedly suitable
for aquariums up to 55 gallons.

I've got a feeling mine is way below specification (even with a fresh
charge of powder) - perhaps its due to the length of my tubing & the
height respective to my tank ??

All pumps have a head height limit as far as I know, but your details listed
below should be perfectly reasonable in my opinion. If the d1 can't do what
you say below it is a rip off I hate to say - especially after I
rediscovered my vortex xl which I am very happy with and still hope it's
manufacturer does good business-whys.

Inlet & outlet tubing - 4 foot long each.
Pump inlet/outlet sits 3 foot below top of tank

I'm about to do a 50% water change - and will then try a 3rd charge
in the DE filter - maybe my water is just so filthy that 2 charges
wasnt enough to get it crystal clear ? (although I would think the
flow would all but stop thru the filter rather than just miss all the
super fine particles ?)

In my opinion you are right - it should only stop the flow through the
filter if your aquarium really was so filthy - the filter (d1) you use
should not have ANY bypass and should never let anything through hat is too
big. Good luck and later!

Cheers.

Anyone have a homemade Vortex Filter Carl Beyer Ponds 0 24-06-2003 12:44 AM
Plastic barrels, vortex and muck Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 0 06-05-2003 06:20 AM
help me with my vortex des Ponds 2 07-03-2003 02:58 AM
Vortex Settlement Chambers BenignVanilla Ponds (alternative) 3 05-02-2003 11:33 PM
Vortex Settlement Chambers BenignVanilla Ponds 4 05-02-2003 11:33 PM