Old 23-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default Raspberry compatibility

Looking for another variety to add to my decades-old black raspberry
patch. IIRC, red raspberries are incompatible because of either
virus or fungus susceptibility (shame, since the red types taste
MUCH better). What's a practical choice?

And yes, I *want* thorny varieties, since berries alone do nothing to
deter tresspassers.
Old 23-04-2003, 12:32 PM
John Bachman

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:32:48 -0700, "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A."
wrote:

Looking for another variety to add to my decades-old black raspberry
patch. IIRC, red raspberries are incompatible because of either
virus or fungus susceptibility (shame, since the red types taste
MUCH better). What's a practical choice?

And yes, I *want* thorny varieties, since berries alone do nothing to
deter tresspassers.

I grow two types of black raspberries, Jewel and Haut. Jewel is a
large very tasty berry - my favorite. Haut is early and very profific
but it seems to be getting hard to find. I wanted to put in some more
Haut this year but could not locate them so I went with Jewel.

John

Old 25-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Martin C. Jensen

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote:

Looking for another variety to add to my decades-old black raspberry
patch. IIRC, red raspberries are incompatible because of either
virus or fungus susceptibility (shame, since the red types taste
MUCH better). What's a practical choice?

And yes, I *want* thorny varieties, since berries alone do nothing to
deter tresspassers.

At one time I had both black raspberries and red ever bearing raspberries
growing right next to each other. After time the black raspberries tip rooted
into the red raspberries and the red raspberries suckered into the black
raspberries. They would both bear with out a problem, no disease or pest
problems for the last few years.

One of my bigger jobs this spring was to dig out the ever bearing red
raspberries. I just didn't care for the taste, summer bearers are more tasty
imo. I have replaced the red raspberries with Kiwi Gold raspberries. Something
new and different. Mom always said that part of gardening was trying something
new and different and if it doesn't work out try something new and different
again. You may be surprised at what works. Now I'll find out if black
raspberries and gold raspberries are compatible.

Marty