Old 26-02-2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

Default Big plants?

Which plants grow big (bushy), but not too tall? I'm going to have to redo
my plant tank soon, as my Sword is getting way to tall for the tank. I'm
looking for something I can prune back, but that doesn't require too much
maintenance.

Old 26-02-2006, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gill Passman

Bill Stock wrote:
Which plants grow big (bushy), but not too tall? I'm going to have to redo
my plant tank soon, as my Sword is getting way to tall for the tank. I'm
looking for something I can prune back, but that doesn't require too much
maintenance.

I find Hygrophila rosae australis an attractive plant - the leaves take
on a pinkish hue once it reaches the surface. It does grow like wildfire
so does need pruning though...great for cuttings though

Gill
Old 27-02-2006, 09:05 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gill Passman

Bill Stock wrote:
"Gill Passman" wrote in message

Bill Stock wrote:

Which plants grow big (bushy), but not too tall? I'm going to have to
redo my plant tank soon, as my Sword is getting way to tall for the tank.
I'm looking for something I can prune back, but that doesn't require too
much maintenance.

I find Hygrophila rosae australis an attractive plant - the leaves take on
a pinkish hue once it reaches the surface. It does grow like wildfire so
does need pruning though...great for cuttings though

Gill

Thanks, it must be rare, I could not find it on PlantGeek or Tropica. How
does it compare to something like Ludwigia for growth? My Ludwigia grows
like a bad weed.

It's pretty common over here - not having any Ludwigia I can't reaaly
compare growth rates but once it takes off I end up pulling it out by
the bucket load. Try doing a google on the name...

Gill
Old 27-02-2006, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

Which plants grow big (bushy), but not too tall?
I'm looking for something I can prune back, but
that doesn't require too much maintenance.

Aquarium height, sand or gravel (height), water temperature,
illumination, fertilisation?

Amoracia aquatica is an extraordinary plant.

--
cu
Marco
Old 27-02-2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article , Bill Stock wrote:
Which plants grow big (bushy), but not too tall? I'm going to have to redo
my plant tank soon, as my Sword is getting way to tall for the tank. I'm
looking for something I can prune back, but that doesn't require too much
maintenance.

Cryptocoryne wendtii.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 27-02-2006, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi..

Which plants grow big (bushy), but not too tall?
I'm looking for something I can prune back, but
that doesn't require too much maintenance.

Aquarium height, sand or gravel (height), water temperature,
illumination, fertilisation?

Armoracia aquatica is an extraordinary plant.

Tasty too. We call it water cress over here.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 27-02-2006, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Steve

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article , Bill Stock wrote:

Which plants grow big (bushy), but not too tall? I'm going to have to redo
my plant tank soon, as my Sword is getting way to tall for the tank. I'm
looking for something I can prune back, but that doesn't require too much
maintenance.

Cryptocoryne wendtii.

I'll second the Cryotocorne wendtii suggestion. They're tough, they
spread, and they don't grow too large. Actually, their size seems to
depend on aquarium conditions. Here, in one smallish goldfish aquarium
they're a few inches tall but cover the bottom. In the plant aquarium
they're reaching 10 inches in height and fill about 1/6 of the bottom area.

They're great plants, all descended from a few specimens I was given in
1991.

Steve
Old 27-02-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

Armoracia aquatica is an extraordinary plant.

Tasty too. We call it water cress over here.

How do you dress (prepare) them?

--
cu
Marco
Old 27-02-2006, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gill Passman

Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi..

Armoracia aquatica is an extraordinary plant.

Tasty too. We call it water cress over here.

How do you dress (prepare) them?

You serve it in a salad these days....great peppery taste...I remember
my grandma just washing the bunch and sticking it in a jug...we used to
have it for tea...usually with canned mackeral or pilchards...

My Mum used to go and harvest it from the local stream from time to
time. She tells a story of rinsing it and finding hundreds of little
shrimps - she put them in with the goldfish so she could show us them
when we got home from school - result very content well fed goldfish :-)

Old 28-02-2006, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Which plants grow big (bushy), but not too tall?
I'm looking for something I can prune back, but
that doesn't require too much maintenance.

Aquarium height, sand or gravel (height), water temperature,
illumination, fertilisation?

Tank 36L*18W*20D
PH 6.8
KH 8 DH
Light 192 w
35 ppm CO2 (roughly)
Fertilized with Trace Elements, KH2PO4, Excel and sometimes KNO3

Old 28-02-2006, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article , Bill Stock
wrote:
Which plants grow big (bushy), but not too tall? I'm going to have to redo
my plant tank soon, as my Sword is getting way to tall for the tank. I'm
looking for something I can prune back, but that doesn't require too much
maintenance.

Cryptocoryne wendtii.

Thanks, I haven't tried the Crypts yet.

I like the Swords, but they just seem to outgrow the tank in no time.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 28-02-2006, 09:47 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

You serve it in a salad these days....great peppery
taste...I remember my grandma just washing the bunch and
sticking it in a jug...we used to have it for
tea...usually with canned mackeral or pilchards...
My Mum used to go and harvest it from the local stream
from time to time. She tells a story of rinsing it and
finding hundreds of little shrimps - she put them in with
the goldfish so she could show us them when we got home
from school - result very content well fed goldfish :-)

:-)

[Water Cress]:
Europe: Nasturtium officinale
North America: Armoracia aquatica
--
cu
Marco
Old 28-02-2006, 09:49 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

Tank 36L*18W*20D
PH 6.8
KH 8 DH
Light 192 w
35 ppm CO2 (roughly)
Fertilized with Trace Elements, KH2PO4, Excel and
sometimes KNO3
Amoracia aquatica is an extraordinary plant.

See no problem.
--
cu
Marco
Old 28-02-2006, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Steve wrote:
Richard Sexton wrote:
In article , Bill Stock wrote:

Which plants grow big (bushy), but not too tall? I'm going to have to redo
my plant tank soon, as my Sword is getting way to tall for the tank. I'm
looking for something I can prune back, but that doesn't require too much
maintenance.

Cryptocoryne wendtii.

I'll second the Cryotocorne wendtii suggestion. They're tough, they
spread, and they don't grow too large. Actually, their size seems to
depend on aquarium conditions. Here, in one smallish goldfish aquarium
they're a few inches tall but cover the bottom. In the plant aquarium
they're reaching 10 inches in height and fill about 1/6 of the bottom area.

They're great plants, all descended from a few specimens I was given in

Keep in mind there's different forms. The "red/brown" is the lowest growig
as are all the nonstndard cultivars: tropica, green gecko, mi oyo, while
the plain green forms range from "a bit bigger" to 2' in soe exceptinal
cases.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net