Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Robin Pereira

Default Tank Pictures

Just thought I'd share my tank pictures with the group. The tank is a 120gl.
24"x48"x24" well planted freshwater tank. It's about 6 months old. I
recently (in the past two weeks) added the Pygmy Chain Swords (Echinodorus
Tenellus) & Java Moss (Vesicularia Dubyana). Any comments would be
appreciated. I owe many in this group thanks for sharing their advice and
experience.

http://members.rogers.com/pereirar/

Robin P.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
António Vitor

uau!
António Vitor
Lisbon Portugal
e.rogers.com...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Ghazanfar Ghori

Very nice!
What's your fert regiment / water specs?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Dave Millman

Robin Pereira wrote:

Just thought I'd share my tank pictures with the group. The tank is a 120gl.
24"x48"x24" well planted freshwater tank. It's about 6 months old. I
recently (in the past two weeks) added the Pygmy Chain Swords (Echinodorus
Tenellus) & Java Moss (Vesicularia Dubyana). Any comments would be
appreciated. I owe many in this group thanks for sharing their advice and
experience.

Beautiful tank. Congratulations!

You will find that, with time and light and ferts, either or both of those two
red lotuses will fill the tank completely. On Saturday I removed one which had
eight leaves, each one 6+ inches in diameter, with more sprouts coming AND two
baby plants on runners.

I am told that you can keep them small by trimming back the leaves that go to
the top of the water, but trimming two huge leaves per week did nothing to stop
this monster. Correction, gorgeous, beautiful monster.

Funny thing was, I planted it AND TWO OTHERS! as foreground plants some months
back. Oops.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
BruceKGeist

Wonderful tank! I really like that lotus plant! Man-- what a beauty. I want
to get one of those. Did you get yours at a lfs, or online? If online, where?

You mentioned you always get 10ppm on nitrates.. what test are you using? I
have had really good luck with Seachem's test.

Enjoyed the pics! Keep 'em coming!

-Bruce

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Robin Pereira

Hi Bruce:

Thanks for the kind words. I bought the Lotus plant at my local lfs which
happens to be a Big Als franchise. It's a Tropica plant. It's great because
it keeps multiplying. You may have noticed that I have already planted one
sibling and there are two more on runners below those big leaves. It is a
magnificent plant.

The test I use for nitrates is the Red Sea Nitrate II test. Perhaps when
it's done I'll try the Seachem test.

Robin

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Dave Millman

Robin Pereira wrote:

I believe Nitrates are about 10 ppm. but I don't entirely believe the tests
because the value never seems to change. Phosphates are zero. I don't test
iron. Ammonia & Nitrite are zero.
I change 20% of the water weekly during tank maintenance.
I dose 40ml. Tropica Master Grow/Wk. and add 10ml. Potassium Nitrate (mixed
using info from Chuck Gadd's site).

If you doubt your test kit, and you have KNO3 in house, just do this:

1. Do a test and carefully observe the color
2. sprinkle a granule or two dry KNO3 into the test vial. Note the immediate
color change.

The more you add, the more it should change...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
António Vitor

Pereira?
humm a portuguese name...

'parece que os portugas gostam disto...'

"Robin Pereira" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Tank Specs:

Water Temperature about 78 degrees.
Lighting 4x55Watt PC 6400K.
The filter is a Eheim Pro II 2028 canister.
The substrate is 100% Seachem ONYX.
I use pressurized CO2. PH: 7, KH 7, which means CO2 around 20mg./l
GH 11.
I believe Nitrates are about 10 ppm. but I don't entirely believe the

tests
because the value never seems to change. Phosphates are zero. I don't test
iron. Ammonia & Nitrite are zero.
I change 20% of the water weekly during tank maintenance.
I dose 40ml. Tropica Master Grow/Wk. and add 10ml. Potassium Nitrate

(mixed
using info from Chuck Gadd's site). I also use Seachem Flourish Tabs in

the
substrate. I find the Lotus and Swords require them.

I've had the usual struggles with various algae, including green water,

but
the fertilization, additional nitrates etc. seems to be working. I have

also
used a diatom filter to clear the green water and it has not returned.

Robin P.

et...