Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Donovan

Default Marsilea questions

I saw a mention of Marsilea in a post on r.a.plants I was able to do a bit
of research on it, but didn't come up with much good info. The plant is very
neat looking, and creeps across the ground, exactly the kind of plant I want
=p

Sources online say that it is a "low - medium" light plant, I have an 8
watt daylight floursent light on my 6 gallon tank. No substrate, no CO2.
Would marsilea would survive under those conditions? Adding additives to the
water is no big issue, it's just the lighting that I wonder about.

Thanks for any input

--donovan

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
LeighMo

I saw a mention of Marsilea in a post on r.a.plants

That was me. :-)

I was able to do a bit
of research on it, but didn't come up with much good info.

Not many people seem to keep this plant. I'm not sure why.

Sources online say that it is a "low - medium" light plant, I have an 8
watt daylight floursent light on my 6 gallon tank. No substrate, no CO2.

*No* substrate? It's a bare-bottom tank? Or do you mean no special substrate,
i.e., plain gravel?

Few plants will be happy with no substrate at all.

Sources online say that it is a "low - medium" light plant, I have an 8
watt daylight floursent light on my 6 gallon tank. No substrate, no CO2.
Would marsilea would survive under those conditions?

I'm afraid I have no idea. Growing plants in tanks that small can be weird.
Often, you need a lot more watts per gallon than you would in a larger tank.

However, you'd be more likely to grow Marsilea than other ground-cover-type
plants.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Donovan

Sources online say that it is a "low - medium" light plant, I have an 8
watt daylight floursent light on my 6 gallon tank. No substrate, no CO2.

*No* substrate? It's a bare-bottom tank? Or do you mean no special

substrate,
i.e., plain gravel?

Just plain gravel. I'd have some very upset loaches if they didn't have
anything to dig around in =p

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Bugbear

Could you give more information about this plant. I've never heard of
it. Maybe, I've been locked up in the closet to long or something.
Anyway, if you could give information about it and what it looks like,
etc. that would be great or know of a site with pictures and info.

thanks

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
David Marshburn

LeighMo wrote:

: Not many people seem to keep this plant. I'm not sure why.

it's usually reported as a bog plant (at least, the few times i've
inquired about ordering it somewhere, i was told this, and i've seen it
claimed on a couple of website (unfortunately, i don't have references
handy)). i've also seen a couple of folks claim that it does fine
completely submerged.

so, i don't know what to think. if i could get my hands on some, i'd damn
the torpedoes and just try it, since i want a low, carpet plant, and only
have moderate light (144 W over a 50G). however, i can't seem to find
anyone willing to sell me some... (if anyone knows of a place to get it,
please do tell).

cheers,
-david

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Donovan

"David Marshburn" wrote in message
LeighMo wrote:

: Not many people seem to keep this plant. I'm not sure why.

it's usually reported as a bog plant (at least, the few times i've
inquired about ordering it somewhere, i was told this, and i've seen it
claimed on a couple of website (unfortunately, i don't have references
handy)). i've also seen a couple of folks claim that it does fine
completely submerged.

so, i don't know what to think. if i could get my hands on some, i'd damn
the torpedoes and just try it, since i want a low, carpet plant, and only
have moderate light (144 W over a 50G). however, i can't seem to find
anyone willing to sell me some... (if anyone knows of a place to get it,
please do tell).

cheers,
-david

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/product.asp?3=246
and
http://www.azgardens.com/index2.html

I don't know if they have it in stock, though.

--donovan

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Donovan

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Plants/Marsilea.html
has some info, I wasn't able to find anything beyond this, except, of course
the places that sell it.

--donovan

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Rsfee

According to Aquarium Plants (Barry James) (a nice little book, if you can find
it) Marsilea crenata is a tiny creeping plant up to 3" high that remains
permanently submerged. It comes from SE asia.

I have experience growing Marsilea vestita as a groundcover outdoors. It is
native to western N. and S. America, deciduous and rapidly spreading in moist,
sunny areas. Also, fairly invasive. It, too, has neat leaves, and might
survive submersed.

Regards,

Richard Fee