Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
TrollatUofS

Default Farewell and Thanx for the advice.

Sad to say but I am calling it quits as far as freshwater live plant
keeping goes. I have seen three types of algae sweep through the tank in a
year and now the DREADED brush algae is here. This is a fight I've lost
before. I know I should waterchange then fertilize and get some CO2 going and
stock up with some new plants to starve it out but I'm not confident that'll
work. I'm gonna tear down the tank on the weekend and go back to the nutrient
poor bliss that is marine reef keeping in the spring. I just wanted to say
thanx to everyone who has given me advice here, especially Tom Barr and Chuck
Gadd. I've got to hand it to all you plant keepers who can pull it off! I
thought reef was much easier and you guys got the right stuff for live plants.

Best Regards To All

--Jim
Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"TrollatUofS" wrote in message
Sad to say but I am calling it quits as far as freshwater live plant
keeping goes. I have seen three types of algae sweep through the tank in a
year and now the DREADED brush algae is here. This is a fight I've lost
before. I know I should waterchange then fertilize and get some CO2 going and
stock up with some new plants to starve it out but I'm not confident that'll
work. I'm gonna tear down the tank on the weekend and go back to the nutrient
poor bliss that is marine reef keeping in the spring. I just wanted to say
thanx to everyone who has given me advice here, especially Tom Barr and Chuck
Gadd. I've got to hand it to all you plant keepers who can pull it off! I
thought reef was much easier and you guys got the right stuff for live plants.

Best Regards To All

--Jim

Darn algaes! They again managed to out-compete another hobbyist! Am I going to
be next? Perhaps.

Good luck Jim. (Have a sleep on it, hopefully you will change your mind)

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Nsty N8

[...]

Thats quite unfortunate.
I've had many a battles with algae, thats for sure!
Planted tanks can be sooo overated.
IDEA!!!!! ?
I could help YOU.....
I'd be willing to pay for shipping (i'll even let you discount the shipping
charges) in exchange for your plants and all related paraphernalia.

What do you say.....

N8) Goetz

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
TrollatUofS

Subject: Farewell and Thanx for the advice.
From: "Marvin Hlavac" am
Date: 11/6/02 8:24 PM Eastern Standard Time

[...]

I'll have another try at it in a year or two. Next time I'll read up first.
The big problem beyond being an often lazy fishkeeper is that the LFSs suck for
plants. I special order but things don't show up. I don't like to mail
order. Best of luck in your own endeavors.

-jim

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
TrollatUofS

From: (Nsty N8)
Date: 11/6/02 10:08 PM Eastern Standard Time
[...]

All I've got is a bottle of Flora Pride and some brush algae covered plants
that were in not too good of shape before the brush algae hit. Everything else
I just put away for my next big aqua scheme. Thanx anyway.

-jim
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Richard J. Sexton

Two 30watt bulbs: 1 floragrow, 1 Triton.

Yow, lotsa bucks there. 1 Ge Chroma 50 and one grow lus wide spectrum
gets you the same thing for about a fifth the price.

Ok, it's not exacly the same, it's probably 99% as good, but
this is the textbook definition for "diminished return".

--
Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Da' Fishboy

Have you tried to use a group of flying foxes? I had a 75 gal tank that was
disappointing me to the point of having a tank w/o plants. I had black,
blue-green, and hair algae... the tanks was a mess. I added a group of 6
flying foxes and the tank is back to managabl levels of algae.

Just an idea...

Thanx,

Earl