Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Richmond

Default Timer Information please

Currently I am using different timers to control different pieces like
Lights, Duetto CO2 diffuser, Airstone etc.

Is there any (low cost timer) which will switch OFF one and ON another
gadget.
I mean when my light goes off I would like to start my air stone.

Thanks and Regards

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
NetMax

"Richmond" wrote in message
om...
Currently I am using different timers to control different pieces like
Lights, Duetto CO2 diffuser, Airstone etc.

Is there any (low cost timer) which will switch OFF one and ON another
gadget.
I mean when my light goes off I would like to start my air stone.

Thanks and Regards

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

If the informed response is no, a possible solution is to use a timer to
drive the ac coils of a DPDT or SPDT relay. Connect AC+, your lights and
your airpump to the relay contacts (IN, NO and NC positions
respectively). Set your timer to be ON for light ON hours. This will
energize the coil so power goes to the NO position (lights). When your
timer switches off (or there is a power failure), the airpump on the NC
position would normally get energized. This set-up will always alternate
between having the lights OR airpump on (never at the same time).

Go to an industrial supply shop to buy the relay and a relay base with
screw type terminal contacts. Then put the whole thing inside an
electrical box for safety (and to meet elec. code). Your timer should be
on a GFCI circuit as well. Relay and base should not cost you more than
$20. Take the electrical box with you, so you can be sure to buy a size
which fits inside easily.

Due to the variations in wiring code throughout the world, use these
suggestions at your own discretion. Electrical work should only be done
by experienced people. YMMV
NetMax

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Tarkus

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 22:44:56 -0500, NetMax wrote:

Go to an industrial supply shop to buy the relay and a relay base with
screw type terminal contacts. Then put the whole thing inside an
electrical box for safety (and to meet elec. code). Your timer should be
on a GFCI circuit as well. Relay and base should not cost you more than
$20. Take the electrical box with you, so you can be sure to buy a size
which fits inside easily.

Or buy another timer for $5.
--
Something smells fishy in here.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Cesium

If the informed response is no, a possible solution is to use a timer to
drive the ac coils of a DPDT or SPDT relay. Connect AC+, your lights and

If you don't mind: Netmax, just out of curiosity, what do you do for a
living? This is the second time I've heard you mention DPDT relay in one
check of the groups.

BTW, interesting article for anyone to read:
Amazing.
-Cesium

---

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
NetMax

"Cesium" wrote in message
If the informed response is no, a possible solution is to use a timer

drive the ac coils of a DPDT or SPDT relay. Connect AC+, your lights

and

If you don't mind: Netmax, just out of curiosity, what do you do for a
living? This is the second time I've heard you mention DPDT relay in

one
check of the groups.

BTW, interesting article for anyone to read:
Amazing.
-Cesium

It's just behaving as an amplifier. The circuit picked up RFI type EMI,
and without tuned filters to remove it, the frequency (oscillation) was
not supressed. The software test criteria then reinforced it by
controlling the gate timing to pass it through. I found the article a
little silly, (in a clever way), maybe I just don't get it.

The use of industrial relays for process control is really easy. I've
wired SPDT relays into electrical boxes in not much more time than I
would need to change a GFCI receptacle. I might not be making it sound
as easy as it really is. I once built up a hardware solution with about
20 relays, some nested, and mostly operating on negative logic (now that
will give you a headache). Much easier to do it in software, but this
was part of fail-safe equipment monitoring air flow, temperatures, etc,
controlling about 200A at 600Vac, and driving fire alarms and power down
systems (high power environmental chamber). Now that was a rat's nest
;o)

What do I do? I actually start a new job this Monday. I will be
managing the tropical fish dept for a large pet shop opening next month.
I will have a lot to learn and it will be an interesting change from the
usual engineering stuff I have been doing, but with everything I've
learned from the newsgroups, I should be fine.

cheers
NetMax

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
E. Mito

In article , "NetMax"
writes:

What do I do? I actually start a new job this Monday. I will be
managing the tropical fish dept for a large pet shop opening next month.

That's great, NetMax!! Congrats on the new job. Sounds like a dream job to
me. Your future customers have NO idea how lucky they are about to
get...knock 'em dead!

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Cesium

controlling the gate timing to pass it through. I found the article a
little silly, (in a clever way), maybe I just don't get it.

I just found it very interesting. If you set up an evolutionary program to
survive based on how well it produces an oscillating signal, you would
expect it to either a: not work because of some error or b: become a simple
oscillator and produce an oscillating signal. How odd that the program
would instead configure itself into a much more compex radio, using a row of
transistors as the antennae! It's such a completely unexpected outcome
that the program would pickup an oscillating signal from a nearby computer
rather than simply becoming a circuit that produces one. To put it simply,
as some of my friends might say in an Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminator 2
voice: "Radios are made of complex transistors and antennae machinery, it's
too complex, it doesnt work that way." Anyway, this article has launched me
into researching evolutionary computing, as I find this field very
interesting.

The use of industrial relays for process control is really easy. I've
wired SPDT relays into electrical boxes in not much more time than I

I didn't mean to imply that I thought it would be difficult. Given a little
time and research, I think I could assemble the things you described (and
you are very descriptive).

would need to change a GFCI receptacle. I might not be making it sound
as easy as it really is. I once built up a hardware solution with about
20 relays, some nested, and mostly operating on negative logic (now that
will give you a headache). Much easier to do it in software, but this
was part of fail-safe equipment monitoring air flow, temperatures, etc,
controlling about 200A at 600Vac, and driving fire alarms and power down
systems (high power environmental chamber). Now that was a rat's nest
;o)

With my limited computer science knowledge, I'm starting to actually
understand some of this logic stuff.

What do I do? I actually start a new job this Monday. I will be
managing the tropical fish dept for a large pet shop opening next month.
I will have a lot to learn and it will be an interesting change from the
usual engineering stuff I have been doing, but with everything I've
learned from the newsgroups, I should be fine.

Based on advice you've given us in the newgroups, I'm sure the fish dept
will be very well managed. I think some day I'll have to end up combining
job with hobby, if only to maintain sanity. I hope the best for you on
Monday.
What area of engineering were you in before this new job?

cheers
NetMax

-Cesium

---