Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Robin Pereira

Default Fertilizer Daily or Weekly??

Hello Everyone:

Is there a preference for fertilizing daily over weekly. I usually fertilize
after weekly tank maintenance and I wonder if instead of adding the
recommended amount of TMG (and nitrates) all at once, would it be better to
divide the dose by 7 and add the smaller amount daily?

Thanks,

Robin P.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Dave Millman

Robin Pereira wrote:

Is there a preference for fertilizing daily over weekly. I usually fertilize
after weekly tank maintenance and I wonder if instead of adding the
recommended amount of TMG (and nitrates) all at once, would it be better to
divide the dose by 7 and add the smaller amount daily?

One of the advantages of daily dosing is like any other habit, it is harder to
forget if you do it at the same time every day. Once I mixed up my ferts to
allow 10ml per day dosing, everything fell into place because I stopped missing
doses! Feed the fish, squirt in 10ml, plants look great.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM

"Robin Pereira" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
Hello Everyone:

Is there a preference for fertilizing daily over weekly. I usually fertilize
after weekly tank maintenance and I wonder if instead of adding the
recommended amount of TMG (and nitrates) all at once, would it be better to
divide the dose by 7 and add the smaller amount daily?

Thanks,

Robin P.

I'd add it at least 2x-3x a week. You don't need to go to daily.
Even at very high light and growth rates. Weekly is fine if you have
1.75 w/gal or less or lots of slow growers etc.
If you have 2w/gal and CO2 you'll need to add 2x to 3x the recommended
amount of TMG etc.
Those recommended amounts are for non CO2 tanks or low light tanks.
NO3 should be added the same way and PO4 if you need that(eg not in
your tap water etc).

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Allen Smith

My personal dosing regime is 2x a week. I do the powdered chemicals
after the water change on Sunday. K2SO4, KNO3, etc; along with
Flourish and Flourish Iron. On Wed., I add additonal Flourish and
Flourish Iron, and sometimes additonal KNO3 (depending on if I need it
or not - I keep changing my tank so sometimes I don't need to dose
nitrate 2x).