Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Jason Judkins

Default DIY Yeast method materials...

I actually went out and bought one of those cheap 4liter bottles of wine and
dumped it out (a worthy $6 investment)... I use that now with a rubber
stopper I purchased at Ace hardware for about $1.50, and a piece of copper
tubing I also got at Ace for about .49/foot and it works great!

"Da' Fishboy" wrote in message
I want a 2liter glass bottle me me me me I wanta I wanta!!!

grin

"M Walczak" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Jason I would suggest going to "the container store" in which they sell,
solvent bottles, ~2l glass bottles which I can attest as a chemist and
personal user for CO2 is the Best container for DIY CO2. Thankfully I

can
get them for free.
I am making a new co2 reactor that uses an empty wine jug (glass) and

has
bit more solid structure.... This is the reason I am looking for a

blow
valve is so I can make sure that too much pressure doesn't build... I

might
just use a rubber stopper (with a copper tube coming out of it...

easily
aquired at a scientific supply type store) and a check valve... but

the
benefit would be a bigger water/sugar/yeast concoction that produces

more
co2

"Trygve Lillefosse" wrote in message
So here is my question: Does anyone know of a good or common place

get
blow valve? (I.e. a valve that will discharge within a certain PSI

range)
would like to make my DIY system fault tolerant, but I am just

stumped
on
where to get the blow valve... any ideas? Thanks!

The pressure will not be able to build up since it will go out the
airstone. Would'nt be to concerned.

SEE YA !!!

Malawi, The Fisher King - Ruler Of The World
Conquering the world for YOU since 1972.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Rich Conley

One issue may be that balloons seem to be semi-porous....how they deflate even
wihthout being popped over a couple days....you may end up lowering co2
production by a lot, by using this.

Jason Judkins wrote:

Dude! What a kick-ass idea! I will try that... That's a good one, did you
find that in an article or did you think it up? I like it... very clever
Thanks again!

-Jason

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
"Jason" wrote:

So here is my question: Does anyone know of a good or common place to get

blow valve? (I.e. a valve that will discharge within a certain PSI range)

would like to make my DIY system fault tolerant, but I am just stumped on
where to get the blow valve... any ideas? Thanks!

I've just finished making my DIY CO2 system also, though instead of an
airstone I've just got the end of the airline tube tucked below a
'bell' to capture the CO2. Not as efficient as some methods, I
understand, but it's got a lot going for it in the simplicity and
not-exploding department.

But while tinkering with it, I got to wondering about the same thing
your asking - blow valves. Since I'm using an open air line, I
*shouldn't* have to be concerned with the bottle exploding, but still.

So, I was wondering about simply adding a T in the airline very near
to the bottle, and putting a simple child's balloon on it. I can see
several benefits...

- it serves as a visual warning system, since a big red balloon is
likely to get your attention a lot faster than a lack of a bubble
every five seconds.

- it could also serve as a visual indicator that the CO2 system is
working, depending on the back-pressure in the system. It only takes a
small amount of pressure to fill a balloon to its normal 'unstretched'
shape, after which gas would vent into the tank as intended. When the
balloon fully deflated, you could see at a glance that there was no
longer gas being produced, and the yeast mixture needs replaced.

- a balloon over-full of CO2 should pop much more easily, and with far
less mess, than a 2-liter plastic bottle full of yeasty sugar water.

- when it pops, you not only get the alarm sound of the balloon
popping, you have an open path for any further gas to escape.

- balloons are really cheap

Of course, it would only work in a system where the pressure required
to push gas through the outlet (be it an airstone or just an open
airline) is less than required to fully inflate the balloon. Having
blown air through and airstone and into a balloon, I expect that would
be most systems.

A real DIY enthusiast might rig a pin near the balloon to encourage it
to pop upon reaching a certain size, rather than needing a critical
gas pressure. Even safer as a valve, since it would blow at a lower
pressure.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
kush

Da' Fishboy wrote ...

I have never collapsed a 2 liter pop bottle with the venturi of a

powerhead.

I HAVE. Believe that it can be done. Now I use the juice bottle.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Eric Schreiber

"Jason Judkins" wrote:

Dude! What a kick-ass idea! I will try that... That's a good one, did you
find that in an article or did you think it up? I like it... very clever
Thanks again!

I came up with it on my own, but I'm sure I'm not the first one to
think of it.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Trygve Lillefosse

What if you have a cylinder, with a tight seal, and moving piston.
Like a syringe. When the pressure build up, the piston goes up, and
up, and up juuuust a litle (itsy bitsy) bit more. Until it meets a
small hole where some pressure is let out, and it sinks back a bit.

Started thinking... It might be possible with one of those
"inflatable" water tanks for camping. Pretty sturdy plastic, but
colapsable.

Could be done like this:
The container is fitted with a small walve, from a bikes air-hose(?),
whit a pin/stick that will press down the small needle when the
pressure builds up. (You could also saw away the edges on the walve,
so that the pin will be pressed down when it reaches f.in. a plate).

The container is placed inside a restricting container, so that it
behaves just like you want to at all times.
It could even be made so that there is a lid with tracks on, so that
it's always in the same position when it raises due to pressure.

Some weight is placed on top, so that the walve will only be lifted to
the "releaser" when the pressure is high enough. This should also mean
that you can decide what pressure you want, according to how mutch
weight there is on top.

The only expensive item here, would be the needle-walve that will
restrict the flow of Co2, and thusmaking the pressurization possible.

This may be a bit quirky explanation, and even poor english. Please
feel free to ask if there is something with this desciption you feel
is unclear.

Could also draw a scetch if anyone is interested in trying it out.

Hmm, I feel a bit genious today.:-)